I just got a schecter C-1 semi-hollowbody electric pretty recently and I'm in love. It came stock with 2 Duncan Designed humbuckers and a Piezo pickup system. If you want a picture: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-C-1-Semi-Hollowbody--Electric-Guitar-with-Piezo-Pickup-102458874-i1149929.gc
Anyways the piezo isn't going anywhere, but i really think i should replace the duncan humbuckers. My style ranges mostly from reggae to just jam band sort of stuff but its not limited and I'll sometimes crank up the distortion and play some hard stuff too. Can anybody give me suggestions on some good pickups to cover such a broad range of music and still sound incredible (don't worry about price! if its the perfect pickup ill make it happen)
thanks for reading
A seymour duncan '59 in the neck and maybe a custom 5 in the bridge
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by jojobeasty
are those made by Gibson?

could be any brand that has pickups with a PAF type sound.
The ones i mentioned above are PAF-a-likes and are considered pretty good
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
I was talking to a friend today and he recomended p-90s
would it be possible to but lets say a p-90 in the neck and maybe some kind of PAF on the bridge. and if i did do this would it sound okay?
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Real P-90's don't fit in your humbucker routs...

You can try a humbucker-sized P-90. They sound a little different, though.
P-90's are a great idea, as their single coil nature would add a lot of spank to your sound.

What's your amp, though?

120 watt Marshall half stack

who makes the humbucker-sized p-90s? and would they sound okay with some kind of seymore duncan pickup on the bridge and my piezo? thanks for your help by the way!
Sorry for highjacking, but I was tinking about getting piezo pickups for the guitar I'm building. What do they sound like, and would they be worth it?
Peace n' love
I understand about indecision, but I don't care if I get behind. People living in competition, all I want is to have my peace of mind- Boston

CLASS OF 2008!!!!!!!

Member of UG's Christian Guitarists
Quote by Jaypack44
Sorry for highjacking, but I was tinking about getting piezo pickups for the guitar I'm building. What do they sound like, and would they be worth it?

could have just started a new thread...
but they sound very direct and dry. If you get an A/B box or two outputs and output the regular gutiar pickups to an amp through whatever effcts etc... and output the piezo to some reverb/chorus/EQ then to a PA it would sound good

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by Jaypack44

in combonation with my other pickups (even though they are kind of ****ty and this thread is about replacing them) it sounds fukin sick. and when i play like cool little intros and stuff with just the piezo i tend to have some kind of phaser/chorus effect going on anyway so it sounds very full. i love having it on my guitar because i play in a jam band that covers many styles usually within one song. SO what im trying to get at is: pretty legit pickup, not like the best of course, but it does its job and gives an electric guitar acoustic sound when needed, is great for getting a variety of sounds, AND when combined with other pickups has a very unique voice.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^What kind of 120 watt Marshall halfstack...?

Seymour Duncan makes humbucker sized P-90's. BTW, Duncan Designed is NOT the same as Seymour Duncan.

according to guitar center its called a Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack Package.
ya im aware that duncan designed isnt seymore duncan. my question was if i got a humbucker sized p-90 on the neck and some other kind of seymore duncan on the bridge, like a 59 or something, would it still sound okay played together?
Maybe a Pearly Gates bridge and a Jazz or '59 neck. Evos are good, and maybe try a PAF Vintage with the Evo.
Quote by jojobeasty
according to guitar center its called a Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack Package.
ya im aware that duncan designed isnt seymore duncan. my question was if i got a humbucker sized p-90 on the neck and some other kind of seymore duncan on the bridge, like a 59 or something, would it still sound okay played together?

Ah. I wouldn't bother replacing your pickups, then. Your money would be better spent on a new amp, for gettin' a better sound. MGs are not good, and definitely not good for reggae.

I'd check out a Fender Blues Junior, or something of that ilk. A Crate/Palomino V16 or V32 would also be a good idea.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Ah. I wouldn't bother replacing your pickups, then. Your money would be better spent on a new amp, for gettin' a better sound. MGs are not good, and definitely not good for reggae.

I'd check out a Fender Blues Junior, or something of that ilk. A Crate/Palomino V16 or V32 would also be a good idea.

+1

Sell that MG .

I've always found Piezos to sound a lot better when mixed with the neck humbucker.

They are pretty ice-picky when used by themselves.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by forsaknazrael

eeehhh. this sucks. the reason i got the marshall was to keep up with a drummer when i started playing gigs with my band. but you also have to take into acount that im not playing all reggae - some of out stuff can get pretty damn hard like we even have one song that boarders on the sound of System of a Down. See thats what im trying to say.. like we switch up the style so often that we might cover metal reggae blues and spacey expieremental stuff all within one song. not trying to bash on your advice or anything i just don't think im being specific enough.

the reason i got the semi hollow schecter with humbuckers and a piezo was to achieve the biggest range of sound within one guitar.
help!! and thanks to those that already have i really aprecitate it!
Quote by qotsa1998
Maybe a Pearly Gates bridge and a Jazz or '59 neck. Evos are good, and maybe try a PAF Vintage with the Evo.

thanks but please explain.. i'm really new on the subject of pickups and really jsut started researching and doing my homework about 4 days ago. help me out with the full names/maker please
Right, well, regardless of the music you play, the MG isn't good at all. Changing pickups will not make that much of a noticeable improvement in your tone.

Something like the Crate V32, or a used Traynor YCV50 Blue, or used Traynor YCV40 would cover your genres...while sounding tons better - And they would be MORE than loud enough to get over drums. Trust me. Changing up to a better amp will make a much bigger difference in your tone than pickups can. Check your local craigslist for those amps.