Does anybody else here get annoyed by when people act as though musicians they like are somehow above anyone else? For instance, people tend to quote a famous musician in attempt to win an argument, even though that proves nothing. Another example is the last sentence of the first post in this thread.

To me, I love the music created by some of my favorite composers, but I still think of them as no more than musicians. I don't think Agustin Barrios Mangore was any better or worse of a person than I am now...he was a better musician, but I don't think he is smarter than me in every conceivable way.

Sometimes I just think that (because I used to be this way, too) many people look at musicians as if they are more than a man (or woman). If John Lennon was only as successful a musician as a band like Underworld or Orbital (Electronica bands), people wouldn't be quoting him or talking about how great his opinions on peace and war were. Bob Dylan has said in interviews that he gets annoyed by when people say he was "the voice of a generation" or a prophet, or things like that. He said he's just a man.

When I hear musicians I love, giving opinions, I will definitely take more note of their opinions on music. If it's anything else (politics, religion, etc.) I don't think anybody should look at them more than some random guy walking down the street.
every musician is flawed. there is no musician in history that hasn't put out some crappy music or done something stupid.
We tend to elevate those that do something we like to a higher level than they deserve. It doesn't help that a (relatively) minuscule proportion of fans of a musician actually know them or have met them; since we haven't had such an opportunity, it is difficult for us to perceive their flaws, which only serves to reinforce the god-like status we often give musicians and other personal heroes.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS

you should sig that
what i really hate is when people worship badmusicians
You are now blinking manually
its fun though. people like having someone to look up to.
member of The Yes Club
member of the Ten Years After Club
member of the Allman Brothers Club
member of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

member of the Grateful Dead Fan Club
PM deadhead313313

member of the Queen Fanclub!
PM Hanzi_G
I'm the other way around.
I usually think that most people i listen to and respect as musicians are extremely ****ty as people.
Last edited by that1l)ude at Nov 6, 2007,
ya, it bigs me. but i do hold them to a higher level if they are intelligent. if theyre an idiot, i dont. same with regular people.

Jack my swag
In the David Gilmour interview posted on UG a few days ago, Gilmour says he loves Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow.

Quote by 6079 Smith W
One time I had this chick setting on my lap, sucking on my neck, unbuttoning my pants when one of my friends walked in and ruined the whole thing. To be fair though, she was his girlfriend.

Shoopin' that whoop since before you were born, son.
Quote by Keyphur
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS

you should sig that
what i really hate is when people worship badmusicians

I was wondering whether someone would do that...

Since you asked nicely
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
I have a lot of respect for real musicians, but I would never take their word as the gospel truth, we're all still just humans. However, yeah I'm more likely to listen to them.
Quote by Gunpowder
I was wondering whether someone would do that...

Since you asked nicely

YAY, i feels importanse now
You are now blinking manually
ive met enough musicians that they do not really thrill me to meet them and i think they're just regular people
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
Quote by The Madcap
Does anybody else here get annoyed by when people act as though musicians they like are somehow above anyone else? For instance, people tend to quote a famous musician in attempt to win an argument, even though that proves nothing. Another example is the last sentence of the first post in this thread.

To me, I love the music created by some of my favorite composers, but I still think of them as no more than musicians. I don't think Agustin Barrios Mangore was any better or worse of a person than I am now...he was a better musician, but I don't think he is smarter than me in every conceivable way.

Sometimes I just think that (because I used to be this way, too) many people look at musicians as if they are more than a man (or woman). If John Lennon was only as successful a musician as a band like Underworld or Orbital (Electronica bands), people wouldn't be quoting him or talking about how great his opinions on peace and war were. Bob Dylan has said in interviews that he gets annoyed by when people say he was "the voice of a generation" or a prophet, or things like that. He said he's just a man.
When I hear musicians I love, giving opinions, I will definitely take more note of their opinions on music. If it's anything else (politics, religion, etc.) I don't think anybody should look at them more than some random guy walking down the street.

I agree with you, buy damn, you're stupid
Quote by RPGoof
I feel dirty just reading that word. Grindcore... EW... I need a shower

Quote by stratkat
music is my meth equivalent
Yes. It's gay. Especially metallica worship. That's all I hear. "Oh my ****ing god, Lars Ulric is a god of drums" is the **** that I hear.

No musician is perfect, some better than others, but musician worship is gay
Quote by RidicuLousbass
I agree with you, buy damn, you're stupid
...You've been here only since October (which ended less than a week ago) and you're already going to jump to that conclusion about me?

Musicians aren't always smart...or even musicians for that manner...
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.