just wondering what kind of playing is better for using a heavy pick as opposed to a lighter pick. is it easier to shred with a heavier pick or a lighter one, or is it just preference really?
mostly preference but depending on how you look at it

most people say this

heavy for shredding

and light for strumming

i personally love mediums and i shred and strum

with the same pick
Lighter is better for strumming, thicker is better for single note stuff and faster playing. Like when I'm playing acoustic I go light, but if I'm shredding I go heavy.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
i use rather thick dunlop tortex .88 picks... i play everything from pop punk to death metal. they work great for me.
If you are playing ANY type of distorted music go with heavy's. Lights break, they slow you down, and they make everything sound to shimmery.
I use Jazz III's don't know the mm's
For acoustic work i use my fingers or ill use the Dunlop Nylon Picks. The ones that will never break.
Quote by csn00b
I hate seeing cute girls topless and what not, it just feels wrong.
i use a simple 1mm pick for the whole god dam lot. However i do prefer to shred with a thicker pick.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Quote by jpgilbert701
I use Jazz III's don't know the mm's

same here

all it says on my pick is "xl series" - its black
anyone know?
Lights for phaser/chorus/acoustics based stuff.

Heavys for distorted/aggressive/LOUD stuff.

Heavys produce a more distinguished and louder sound, it sounds better for power chords or individual notes, particularly riffs (mm...<3.).

Lights, in my honest opinion, tend to add a shroud of trebley goodness over whatever you're playing, they sound like an acoustic amp with scooped mids to me. The notes blend together well which makes them great if you have an EQ pedal or just a really thick bass in your preamp, and goes very well with added effects like Chorus or Phasers.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by whosamerica
i use rather thick dunlop tortex .88 picks... i play everything from pop punk to death metal. they work great for me.

I am also a big fan of the Dunlop .88mm picks. They're a great intermediate thickness good for lead or strumming if your hand is light enough. Plus they've got that stylish gray that says, I don't care how ugly my pick is.
Haven't you heard?

It's a battle of words
I use 1.14MM's, lol.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
You dont want a pick to bend at all when you shred, since it brings you to a disadvantage. Heavy picks are better for shredding, since they dont wear down as easily, and they dont bend (unless your Jeff Loomis).
I use a Dunlop "Stubby" 2mm.
Very thick, great for speed, and its design (smaller than a normal pick, and slightly different shape), only allows the end of the pick to touch the strings...kinda confusing, but it increased speed by up to 60%.