I'm looking into getting a good amp (new or used, no preference) inbetween about 500-1000, I know I should go to the shop and try them for myself, but i'm just looking for a starting point.

Styles:

Rock to Metal/Shred

The option to go clean/jazzy would be good!

Thanks,
most people are going to say the Peavey 5150. it's the best high gain amp under a grand.
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!
B-52 is not high gain. it doesn't get to metal by itself. even with EMGs.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
im probably guna get torn apart....but i love the metal sound from the spider 3 halfstack. and the clean is awesome
the 5150 (and 6505) wouldn't give you usable cleans, especially not for jazz.
someone's gonna say it so i'll begin: look for a used mesa mark iv. or mark iii with graphic eq.
can't really think of any other amps right now that'll do both jazzy cleans and shred. maybe a peavey jsx (though it's a bit smoother so you won't get really harsh gritty metal distortion if that's what you want)?
Im looking more for the harder stuff, the cleans would just be a bonus...THanks
Carvin Legacy, Steve VAi uses it.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by sfsknight07
im probably guna get torn apart....but i love the metal sound from the spider 3 halfstack. and the clean is awesome

flesh....

its really your personall opinion... and im not the kind "FLAME EVERYONEZZZZ!!"... but the distortion and overdrive in that amp is really really really "artificial"... sounds too computerish...
I've heard of that, it aparently has very good cleans but does it get alot of gain (steve vai gain (Bad Horsie gain? lol))
i have the spider 3 and personally, it is very "computery" and poorly made. But it can give the regular person in the stands a heavy crunchy sound to a nice snappy sound by the hit of a button.
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Quote by sfsknight07

To each his own...

We're not going to tear you apart because you're not like "OMG y du u guys h8 t3h Spiderzz!?!?!?"
Ben
Quote by Doodleface
Carvin Legacy, Steve VAi uses it.

Dude the combo amp is over $1000.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws