Obviously both are greatly important, but what do you strive more for, what do you admire more in a guitarist, or which do you think is more important?

Great tone, or great skills??
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
The two go hand in hand, you won't have good tone if you have poor technique.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
its all about style, but you need skills to have style
I am the last Samaurai

Quote by Strati
Note to self: keep off thread while on lsd trip.

Quote by gtrfrk123
Well i'm still fairly young so i still hump random things

Quote by Woogles
****K YOU HOE!
GTFO MAH UG!
Tone comes from your hands more than your gear. Good tone goes hand in hand with good technique. I can't think of anybody that has great tone and no skill.
Quote by hamish5178

Perfect.

This is prolly the only statement that should be in this thread.

Nuff' Said.
Great tone for me is quite a big thing you could have not a lot of chops but if you've got good tone then you're more likely to get my vote than someone with awesome chops but no tone.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
+++++++1
both
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1 (moDE)

Ibanez Electro-Acustic

Zoom G2.1u

Roland Cube 60
Vox AD50VT 2x12

And A Great Passion!

Best Spanish Rock Band IS and WILL always be "Heroes Del Silencio"!!!!!
I read an article that had the top 10 worst tones for guitarist. Randy Rhodes was on the list.

So according to the article, you need skill.
My Gear:
Gibson SG special (W/ S.D. Jazz(N) & JB (B))
Mesa-Boogie Solo Triple Rec. (with EL-34's)
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss TU-2 Chromatic tuner
(what else do i need)

Where i work:
www.beanstalkmusic.com
can't have one without the other. you can have COOL tone with lots of flash, and not be very skilled, but won't be good tone... it'll just be strange noise that hides poor playing, and the novelty would wear off on the listener pretty fast

and i read that randy rhoades thing too (in Guitar One), and they were just ripping on the lack of low end on blizzard of ozz's guitar parts... a shameless burn, and undeserved
im completely self taught. my technique sucks. but that doesn't mean what i do play doesn't sound good. think about bands like blink 182. living proof you dont have to be a skilled musician to write great music. my votes on tone.
Quote by TIMshady1stLP
I read an article that had the top 10 worst tones for guitarist. Randy Rhodes was on the list.

So according to the article, you need skill.
Hahaha. Opinions, you like what you like i guess.
Well... Mark Tremonti has great skill, but on some of his songs he has the ****tiest tone going in rock music lol.
Quote by whosamerica
im completely self taught. my technique sucks. but that doesn't mean what i do play doesn't sound good. think about bands like blink 182. living proof you dont have to be a skilled musician to write great music. my votes on tone.

I could shoot you for saying blink 182 wrote great music... I REALLY could.
Quote by whosamerica

1. When they say tone, they mean the sound and shape of the guitar signal, not how "good" the song sounds.

2. Blink 182 is not a good band, they are unimaginative and stupid.

Before you argue with me, go listen to The Velvet Underground, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, and Frank Zappa.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
I feel like once I got my tone exactly how i liked it, my skill seemed to improve along with it.
Skill, by a large margin. A good guitarist can make a **** amp sound good, and a **** guitarist can make a godly amp sound trash.
It's like the chicken and the egg: Which comes first, the tone or the skills?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'd rather listen to Steve Vai through a cranked MG with stab wounds to the speaker than a poor guitar player through Vai's rig.

You can't really compare the two though, obviously both tone and technique are important. They're also interconnected; a lot of the tone comes from the technique, and also some tonal characteristics can facilitate certain techniques.
Quote by hamish5178

well i disagree, i have seen some technically gifted people play with awful tone, but there style is good and there technique very good.
To me, it's skill. I mean, just look at my sig. I play through a Spider. I couldn't have good tone if I wanted it.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.