I'm looking into strats, and i've thought about getting a standard and upgrading it, or buying a Showmaster and being set.

The Showmaster is $230 more, but it has a quilt bubinga top, locking tuners, Pearly Gates/'59 SD pickups, and 24 frets. The $230 i'd be saving when buying a standard would go towards a new set of pickups ($120), and other stuff.

So what's "better" you guys think? My buddy played one and said it was kickass, and very shred-able even though i'm not using it for shred.
I would choose the showmaster over a standard MIM

I don't really like how they look, kinda cheesy with the quilt in my opinion, but they're designed as shred guitars and as such it has kick ass resonance and better pickups.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
I'd go with standard MIM and than custom it out with the money you save on the pickups you want and such. The locking tuners are nice, but not needed, ya know?
Gear
Custom Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Acoustic
VK 112
Epi VJ
EHX Holy Grail
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Modded Tubescreamer TS7 -> TS-808
Strat Knockoff
Ummmm...

Do you want humbuckers or single coils?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Ummmm...

Do you want humbuckers or single coils?
I'll have both on both, since I would mod the standard to HSH, or keep the HSS. The Showmaster also has coil tap.