http://ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=PGM301 (It sells for about $1,249)

For rock to blues to metal with maybe a little bit of neoclassical thrown in. I don't have much playing experience on guitars outside of the cheap Ibanez I have now, but I do believe I want at least humbuckers in the bridge (I guess I should point out that on the PGM301 it has DiMarzio pickups and not Ibanez, I don't know which is better), and I don't think I want a tremelo, or, at least, it's not a requirement.

With Ibanez I can probably get the dealers price (or close) as I have family connections. Trying to stick close to $1,000... Fenders and ESPs are kind of no-nos already, as I just totally hate the look of Fenders (I know that's crazy to not want a guitar based on looks), and I don't want to give my money to ESP due to the amount of ripped off designs they have.

Also, I realize the best thing is to play the guitar, but I'd like a baseline to compare, specific models to look at and things like that (Guitar Center doesn't even carry the PGM301 so it'd be hard to find it anyways).

Thank you all.
You dont want to give money to ESP for stolen designs? Would you give $2,000 for a Gibson that should be $1,000?

Nevermind that, you sure you want to blow $1,000 for your second guitar? If you dont even know Dimarzio's from IBZ pickups, I really dont know how informed you are.

If you like what the PGM offers, look into the RG321. It's only like $300 and you can spend extra money on new pups.
Quote by TJM2482
Nevermind that, you sure you want to blow $1,000 for your second guitar? If you dont even know Dimarzio's from IBZ pickups, I really dont know how informed you are.

I'm not so sure I would want to "blow" $1,000 on anything... I want to exchange $1,000 for a fine piece of instrument, this isn't Vegas. As to this being my second guitar, well, I can understand what you're saying there, however, I really don't see the point in spending $400 on a guitar just to go a year later and buy a $1000 guitar... Around the time I'm planning on making this purchase I'll have 2 years under my belt (I realize that's not too long compared to others, but it's not like I'm a total noob buying a $1000 guitar).
The PGM is a brilliant workhorse guitar. It's great for pretty much any style of music, and has the playability of the Prestige RG's without the hassle of a locking trem system. Wow, that really came out sounding like advertising...

There's nothing wrong with going for a $1000 guitar after 2 years of playing, just make sure you do your research and get a guitar that suits what you want. At that price point you can get a guitar that will last you pretty much as long as you want.
Quote by Nolly
The PGM is a brilliant workhorse guitar. It's great for pretty much any style of music, and has the playability of the Prestige RG's without the hassle of a locking trem system. Wow, that really came out sounding like advertising...

There's nothing wrong with going for a $1000 guitar after 2 years of playing, just make sure you do your research and get a guitar that suits what you want. At that price point you can get a guitar that will last you pretty much as long as you want.

Good to hear more ... good! about the guitar. I see you own the guitar (unless your sig is lying to me :P), can you tell me what you think about the fretboard, is it well made/bound? I ask because its maple which seems to be kind of uncommon as a fretboard material (honestly its light color in pictures makes it look cheap, too).

Also, what use do you get out of the neck and middle pickups (maybe particular songs or styles that it works well for)?
Maple is a perfectly valid fingerboard material and isn't just a cheap option! Personally I like the look (see it in the flesh before you make up your mind!) and sound of maple but it's all down to preference. The neck itself is exemplary, the profile is thin and flat but that suits me perfectly. The satin finish is very smooth, and the frets are finished very neatly and consistently.

The stock DiMarzio pickups are great for all manner of rock and blues sounds. The neck is nicely woody sounding, and great for shreddy fluid leads as well as gritty blues soloing and jazzy chords. The middle pickup is deliberately much lower output than the two humbuckers. This idea isn't so much to use it on it's own, but to combine it with either the neck or bridge pickups: the loss of output when doing this cleans up the amp a bit, and Paul Gilbert uses them a lot, along with lowering the guitar volume, to get "sprangy" clean sounds without changing amp channels.

The stock pickups aren't really designed for more extreme music (let's say they're fine up to about thrash metal), and since I mainly play technical metal and hardcore, I changed them for a more powerful set. I rarely use the middle pickup so I recently took it out altogether.

I managed to find an old video I uploaded back when I first got the guitar. It still has the stock pickups in, and the switching between clean and dirty sounds was all done with by pickup choice and using the guitar volume knob. (Excuse the wild vibrato-I was tuned down to D with a set of 9's and wasn't used to the lack of tension!) Hope it's useful. Video

Feel free to ask any other questions
Last edited by Nolly at Nov 6, 2007,
video doesn't work

Here's the humbuckers for $60 each, just missing the single coil then. Might be better to find a cheaper ibanez with a nice body and swap those into it.
Quote by Ghold125

Yes, apart from the fact:

-you'd either have to use stickers on the front or maybe a complete refinish to get the F holes.

-you wouldn't have the hardtail bridge; you could block the trem, but it has a very different feel.

-the PGM is Prestige, the cheaper RGs are not.

-if you buy a Korean RG with a pickguard and you'd remove it, there will be some ugly routing underneath and you will still see the little screw holes.

-you'll most likely end up with the wrong fretboard material.

-you'd have to fill the hole for the tone pot and relocate the volume.

-it won't have a reversed headstock.

-replacing all the pickups doesn't make it cheaper.

and so forth.

The power of the PGM is in it's simplicity. It's really a workhorse guitar and for a signature model it's not too expensive. It comes stock with some very nice pickups and to finish it off it has a few nice cosmetic touches, like a reversed headstock and such.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
I think its a nice guitar, and i blew 900 on my second guitar(JS1000). I think the biggest thing that sets that guitar apart from any other is the wiring for the 5-way. Have you seen it? Its crazy! That being said, it is a good guitar. A little expensive but good. If you cant shred on this thing a few months after you get it, just sell it and pick another hobby.
So you all seem to pretty pro the PGM (or at least not against it), but how does it compare to this: http://ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=RG2550E

On paper they seem to be pretty darn similar, except for the tremolo and the PGM being a better looking guitar :P (and, when it comes down to it, seeing as I should have this guitar for many many years to come, I don't mind paying a little more for)

If I could get the PGM for closer to $1,000, would there be any reason I'd regret it? Also, I don't know why my searches on Sam Ash never brought up the guitar there for me, but now that I see they have it online, I may be able to find it in store, anyone know if it's a commonly carried model?

OK, just watched the video, and let me say you're quite a good player! Really like the improv (also watched the other one, don't know that song though). The improv one you go from a pretty good blues tone to a pretty good hard rock tone seems to me, would you agree with that (obviously you have first hand experience with the guitar)?

How much did you pay for the new pickups and can they still take on the blues/hard rock tone (which did you replace anyways, the bridge and the neck? I suppose if I got the guitar I could change just the bridge if I felt like it wasn't satisfactory)?
Last edited by Habit Zero at Nov 7, 2007,
You do pay a little over the odds for the PGM, but it's still one of the most reasonably priced sig models around and you get a damn good guitar too. A lot of cheap sig models fail because they're a sh1tty guitar with someone's name stuck on it that the artist never used. GIlbert uses the PGM, and it's also not only a great guitar, it's unique enough in within the Ibanez range to justify it's price.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Cheers for the comments!

All of the Prestige RG's are great guitars, but one of the main differences would be that the RG has a floating tremelo system. Personally, I much prefer to have the simplicity of a fixed bridge. It's up to you to make that decision though. I don't know if you're set on a RG-style guitar, but I played this guitar the other day and was very impressed. It sounded great and was very comfortable to play. The trem also has a feature whereby you can lock it and turn the guitar into a hardtail should you wish.

I bought a custom set of Bareknuckle Nailbombs for my PGM. They're awesome metal pickups, but are also very versatile. I've got some great rock and blues tones out of them. Highly recommended, but they are quite expensive, especially if you're in the states. I'd say try the guitar's stock pickups before you decide you want to change them.
What kind of amp do you have? If you've only got a starter practice amp then the PGM won't make all that difference in terms of sound.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
PGM is a prestige? I thought it was an RG?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee

Um, it's both. So is the RG1570, and a few others I don't know the model names of.
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by Jinskee

Prestige isn't a model, it has to do with the neck treatment, the general build quality and the hardware.

There are only a few non-Prestige signature models, like the JEM555, the NDM2 and the MTM2.

So yes, the PGM301 is Prestige and at the same time derived from the Rg series.
The PGM301 is supposed to be one of the very few signature models that is actually worth it's price.
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by johnny_tapia
The PGM301 is supposed to be one of the very few signature models that is actually worth it's price.

Yup, the general consensus is that they actually have value for money, as opposed to for instance the JEM, which might be a very nice guitar, but it's also very overpriced.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Yup, the general consensus is that they actually have value for money, as opposed to for instance the JEM, which might be a very nice guitar, but it's also very overpriced.

Someone agrees with me!

Anyhoo, I would suggest playing one before you buy, just to make sure it's for you
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
I'm just gonna throw www.carvin.com out there
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Prestige isn't a model, it has to do with the neck treatment, the general build quality and the hardware.

There are only a few non-Prestige signature models, like the JEM555, the NDM2 and the MTM2.

So yes, the PGM301 is Prestige and at the same time derived from the Rg series.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by FacingUsAll
I'm just gonna throw www.carvin.com out there

Darn you for reminding me about carvin.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Nolly
Cheers for the comments!

All of the Prestige RG's are great guitars, but one of the main differences would be that the RG has a floating tremelo system. Personally, I much prefer to have the simplicity of a fixed bridge. It's up to you to make that decision though. I don't know if you're set on a RG-style guitar, but I played this guitar the other day and was very impressed. It sounded great and was very comfortable to play. The trem also has a feature whereby you can lock it and turn the guitar into a hardtail should you wish.

I bought a custom set of Bareknuckle Nailbombs for my PGM. They're awesome metal pickups, but are also very versatile. I've got some great rock and blues tones out of them. Highly recommended, but they are quite expensive, especially if you're in the states. I'd say try the guitar's stock pickups before you decide you want to change them.

I looked at the S series guitars online, however, I was looking forward to experimenting with 24 frets.

Those Nailbombs are darned expensive, and I am in the states, so if I decided to replace the pickups I don't think I'd go for those.

Quote by timi_hendrix
What kind of amp do you have? If you've only got a starter practice amp then the PGM won't make all that difference in terms of sound.

I'm gonna worry about the amp later, but yes I know it wont make a difference on my crappy amp (what does a good, average watt/setting/blah amp run in terms of USD?).

I've glanced around on Carvin's website in the past, and while they have great looking guitars I worry about the fact that I wouldn't be able to play it before buying, specially a custom one (a custom may be out of my price range, who knows).
All the Carvins are customs .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Except for apparently the new list of guitars they have in inventory...

I was surprised myself as I thought they were only custom guitars, I only just saw that page when I went to the website a couple of minutes ago.