I ride on 3-4 round trips of 18 hour flight that goes over the north pole a year. Not kidding. I will probably take my guitar with me during all these flight. I probably cant take it on the plane with me, so ill have to check it in to where all the luggage go.

Soooooo... I need a case that will do the job... I just put my guitar in this case, loosen the strings and that is all i need to do right? Any other precautions i should take? Put a "fragile" sticker on.... and?? what kind of case would do the job...

thanks
Don't loosen the strings, your neck could get warped because its used to the string tension, if it's not there, the neck will adjust itself.

Put in a hardshell case, maybe pad it extra so its in there nice and secure (as in, it's not even slightly moving).
How should i pad it, with what?
Also, if i dont loosen the strings, wouldnt the extreme temp changes mess things up?
A flight case? You've seen them, them big nice black cases with some metal on the outside, right? I wouldn't consider putting your guitar in a simple hardcase, have you seen how bagage is handeled? As for where to find one of them cases, don't look at me :P
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
(Soon to be gone) Peavey Bandit 112
Soldano Hot Rod 50+ (1993)
Framus 212 (V30's)
Last edited by Revrend. at Nov 6, 2007,
Get a gig bag, guitars are carry ons. I've taken a friends acoustic onboard a plane before, I've also seen a bass on board so take it with you minus tools. Just the guitar.
Quote by prunejuiceman74
Get a gig bag, guitars are carry ons. I've taken a friends acoustic onboard a plane before, I've also seen a bass on board so take it with you minus tools. Just the guitar.

That is entirely possible but a case offers better protection in the first place. A better choice for traveling around with your guitar anyway.

All you need is a case that locks. Gator Cases work fine, reasonably priced.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by prunejuiceman74

That depends entirely on whether the check-in person is a complete dick or not, at least in my experience.

I also tried shipping my guitar (in a hard case) as special luggage once. The stupid airline guy covered it in fragile stickers, and told me everything would be fine. When I got to my destination , the guitar came out with all the other luggage on that carousel thing. It had obviously just been thrown around like all the regular suitcases and stuff, and the hard case was completely banged up. The guitar was fine, miraculously, but of course I was angry as ****. Especially since the luggage guy had gone out of his way to ensure me that my instrument would be treated like a Fabergé egg.

Not sure how this relates to the thread, but revisiting the topic of guitars on airplanes brought up a lot of anger in me.
Quote by prunejuiceman74

As Kyrreca said, not every airline allows guitars to be brought onboard.

I've flown with a few guitars and no one has ever refused me to take it into the cabin, but to be on the safe side, take a good quality hardcase; this way you can still take it with you on the plane, yet if they refuse, even after constant nagging and lying about the price of your instrument, you can have it checked in.

Just make sure it's properly padded; the guitar shouldn't be able to move in any direction. Fragile stickers are more a peace of mind thing, as they are usually completely ignored.

One tip though, if you do have to check it in, you might want to put some stickers on it first. These will help you identify your instrument easily. You're probably not going to be the only one with an instrument and many hardcases look a like.

Also, don't lock the case.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Nov 7, 2007,
ima hijack the thread for a question.

Would the freezing temperatures in the luggage cabin in long term damage the guitar? maybe do something to the wood?
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
Quote by Esparko
ima hijack the thread for a question.

Would the freezing temperatures in the luggage cabin in long term damage the guitar? maybe do something to the wood?

haven't had it happen to me, but yes, it has screwed up guitars.

if you're playing something nice, i would get a cheap, beater guitar to take with you.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
I always worried about my guitars if I took them with me on a plane especially when I was on one plane and later found out my luggage went soemwhere else. Luckily I got it back but had a knot in my stomache waiting. I did loose some equipment when I took a bus trip once. It's funny because I saw them load it but when I got back to Boston it was nowhere to be found! I wish they would make (maybe they do) little Lo-jacks or GPS you could install in a case so if it does dissapear you can track it. Get a good flight case like the other guys said make sure it has a way to double lock it with good locks.
I guess ill go with the gator flight case... good?
And what about the strings? havent got confirmation...
And with that case, what should i put inside other than the guitar to make it more secure?
Your guitar can handle having no string tension for eighteen hours without any trouble at all. I'd take all the tension out of them...just less stress on the guitar and hardware in general.

Get Fragile stickers. Some airlines don't put fragile baggage on the conveyor belts, which means it won't be smashed around by all the other luggage on the way out of the hold. Even if they do, at least there's a chance that one of the throwers will be a bit more careful.

I've flown with basses and guitars a few times, and have yet to have any trouble with them getting damaged. If it does, though, make sure you claim as high a value for the guitar as possible, in case they raise objections to paying out.

Wrap the guitar in clothes, or even foam and bubblewrap inside the case if you can, especially the headstock and neck. If the body takes a few dings, it's not the end of the world, but if your tuners get knocked askew that's a lot of hassle to fix, or even to replace the neck. If it's got a whammy bar, take it out while flying, relax everything possible, and do your best to treat it well while carrying it. I'm sure I've dropped instruments more often than the baggage people have whilst travelling through the airport.

As far as locking it goes, there's two schools of thought. One is that you should lock it as thoroughly as possible, and possibly even wrap tape round the whole thing. However, if you're flying to a different country to the one you're taking off from, Customs and such may want to have a look, and a lock isn't going to stop them. Besides, if someone wants to steal your guitar, they're going to take the case as well, aren't they? If your guitar looks expensive, though, it might be worth locking, in case someone at the airport doesn't want to take the risk of nicking a Squier, and tries to check first. I'd lock it, but don't bother with extravagant precautions, because they're not going to stop someone keen on getting in.
is there a case like that gator one that also has a lock with it? and maybe a bit cheaper?
Ok so I need to buy a good case for this soon-

How essential is the 200$ gator case? Do I need to spend that much? Can I pass with something around $100 or less? If so... which one?

Thank youu
ive got a rockbag standard wood case
costs 50€ and is great. fell over thousands of times, had some rough car rides and much more
it has only some scratches on it so i'd say its defenetely worth the money and for what you'll use it for its more than enough

its not like they play football with the case or throw it around like mad in planes
Quote by IndieMetalhead
a berard? is that like an iraqi tumor?

Well i know they wont play football with it, im just worried because its gonna be pretty rough up there.... and cold and all those, im just not sure how if the cheap ones will compare to that one... link above
get a tsa certified lock
its an airline certified lock that customs agents have a universal key for,
and you get a personal key
there,
problem solved
Quote by glamdring22
get a tsa certified lock
its an airline certified lock that customs agents have a universal key for,
and you get a personal key
there,
problem solved

good idea, DO NOT lock a case if it doesnt have the airline certified lock on it, because especially if you are in the US or traveling to the US, they look through everything, and they will bust the lock to make sure theres no bombs in your guitar case, just a warning
Ok, I want to know whether it would be safer to buy the 200$ gator case or is it fine to go cheap like 80-100$?