Page 1 of 4
hey guys,

ive been playing for four years and im in a rock blues metal band. I have a 75 watt spider III and i want to find something that can handle the nice blues sound to the heavy distortion sound at a high volume. ( i have to mike up for every gig) I want to buy a cabinet and a head btw.

Some of my choices so far are as follows:

Marshall tsl 100- I have heard that this is a great amp,Except you cant get a deep grungy heavy metal sound out of it.( but the blues sound is amazing)I have also heard that the footswitch it comes with ABSOLUTLY SUCKS. Feedback on this amp would be great.

Vox ad12vth- I fear that i might have the same problems with this amp as with my line 6 spider III. ( poorly built, "computery" sounding, etc) Is this a tube? valve? solid state???

and btw, can someone help me with the differeences btween solid state tube and valve?!

b-52 stealth- i have heard that this is the best amp for my specifics. But i havent read much about it and would like some information on it, as long as with the other amps listed above.

if you have any other suggestions, PLEASE i beg you dont just say the amp please give me reasons why you like it and etc. Price would be good too=P.

thanks

travis of Filter Effect
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
What's your price range?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
TSL 100 is awesome. It can do everything from sparkly cleans to metal despite what the people on these forums say. I've had no problems with the footswitch.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
to be honest i dont have a price range, i dont wanna buy a piece of crap for 750 then invest in a really good amp down the road when i can get a good amp now.

really? ive heard that u cant get that deep grungy slow metal sound out of the tsl. You can? and yea the footswitch ive heard is about 50-50 good to absolute suckage so u got lucky=D
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
DSL or JCM900 > TSL

The footswitches are alright. At least mine is.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by p.stick
DSL or JCM900 > TSL

The footswitches are alright. At least mine is.

yea i was reading up on the dsl but i honestly cant find a difference in the two

dsl and tsl

help?!
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Quote by ilovemySG
yea i was reading up on the dsl but i honestly cant find a difference in the two

dsl and tsl

help?!

dsl= 2 channels
tsl= 3 channels
dsl=DUAL super lead
tsl=TRIPLE super lead

I cant speak for a dsl, but the TSL 122 (combo version of 100) sounded pretty amazing. The cleans arent fender cleans by any means, but with the mid boost they sound pretty descent. the od channels can get pretty good sounds too, i got close to a early van halen type tone with it.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
o wow. a combo! so do you think i could get a deep slow metal sound out of a tsl 122?
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
wow im an idiot

my line 6 is a combo

i thought a combo was a head and a cabinet for like one price

RESTATING QUESTIONS

can someone give me a good heavy metal/ clean cabinet and head suggestion??
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
i think i found a good head and cab

the marshall avt150hx head and the avt412xa

but the head puts out 150 and the cab puts out 200. any pros and cons to that?

feedback would be appreciated

ps

sorry for the triple post=D
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Last edited by ilovemySG at Nov 8, 2007,
AVT means MG, but prettier, and a little better overdrive. Still, it's solid state, so there are better deals out there.

The head puts out 150 watts, and the cab can HANDLE 200 watts. If I plug my 5 watt VJ head into that cab, I don't instantly get 195 bonus watts.

I think you need to spend a few hours in Guitar Center, playing amps, rather than a few hours on UG asking the same question over and over. Really. Plan a solid afternoon at GC or another shop, and DON'T BUY ANYTHING. Spend a good bit of time with each amp, let the tubes warm up, get a feel for how they all react. Give it a few days, or a week. Report back to us. Go back, play 'em again, and then choose something. Nothing on the internet can compare to playing the actual amp at the store.
hey guys,

first of all thanks lol

im pretty sure im gunna go with the avt412xa angled cabinet and the avt150 hx head.

pros
* i liked the acoustic simulator.
* i liked the clean tones.
* i liked the effects that come with the head. between the acoustic simulator and effects, those are at least ten more pedals i wont have the urge to buy.

cons
i wasnt really impressed with the ovrdrive tones.( except i could make a pretty badass lead tone) they dont get as deep and grungy as i would like them too.

* i played with the amp for about a half hour to try to get it to get a super deep metal sound out of it, but i couldnt.*

so im going to buy that head and cab, and probably buy a metal pedal. Does anyone have any suggestions for pedals?
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Oh man....that head is basically a suped up MG. Don't bother with it. Why is it you need a 1/2 stack anyway?
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
traynor?

or maybe a mesa f-50 or 100? im getting a 50 soon and i need some decent cleans and an amp that can handle both low AND high gain distortion
Don't buy an AVT, don't buy a half stack. If you have a large budget, I'd advice you to check out some Rivera amps. The Fandango would be a nice choice for your styles.
well i need a half stack first of all, i need and amp for my band to play with, im on the verge of blowing out my line six combo.

and thanks im gunna look into that mesa. But my only concern ( i know, i said it a million times) is that i want a real deep heavy metal sound out of it. and it seems that numerous boss pedals can do that. But i really like the features and quality of the marshall. so if that mesa can do that, thanks you saved me!

and im not saying im DEF gunna buy that head. I have a few marshall ( and a b-52) heads that i liked the sound i got out of them. the dsl 100 and the tsl 100 have pretty good sounds.
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
why do you NEED a 1/2 stack though?
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
ohh now i get what your saying

i dont need a "half stack" i need something with more then one speaker.

basically four 12 inch speakers that can give me more volume and is a tube are my only specifications. celestions would be nice=P
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
well if tube is a requirement, why the hell are you looking into the avt? It is a hybrid with only a preamp tube that doesnt help the tone any. A Mesa F-30 or F-50 would destroy the atv in any category especially tone. You could get one for 600 bucks used maybe.
ah yes! i was looking at the mesa but to be honest, i think the tsl with a metal core pedal puts it through the wall!
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
im pretty sure that marshall released a part( sorry for the unspecifications) that reduced something in most marshall amps. Maybe its muddyness? im not sure. But it depends, i think a high quality bad ass boss pedal would sound great!
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Quote by ilovemySG
hey guys,

first of all thanks lol

im pretty sure im gunna go with the avt412xa angled cabinet and the avt150 hx head.

pros
* i liked the effects that come with the head. between the acoustic simulator and effects, those are at least ten more pedals i wont have the urge to buy.

cons
i wasnt really impressed with the ovrdrive tones.( except i could make a pretty badass lead tone) they dont get as deep and grungy as i would like them too.

* i played with the amp for about a half hour to try to get it to get a super deep metal sound out of it, but i couldnt.*

so im going to buy that head and cab, and probably buy a metal pedal. Does anyone have any suggestions for pedals?

So you play a bluesy hard rock type, but you are goingt o buy an amp that you like the cleans and dislike the OD? AM I missing something here?
wellllll not exactly. We play a HUGE variety of music. In a nutshell, we have basic blues with absolutely no rock edge in it at all. ( i would use some effects and reverb from the tsl to achieve this tone.) But then we play a heavy black/ death metal type sound with that low grunge sound. I cannot get that sound out of a tsl, so i would simply research distortion pedals to use with a tsl.
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
yea i was looking at the metal muff too but it breaks even. The makers of these pedals know what there doing, your getting quality of out the pedals. and i personally dont like mesas. but thats just me idk.
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
I don't get it. You apparently need a half stack that has Celestion speakers, yet you like the AVT? I've got a feeling you really don't have a very good ear for tone and wouldn't be able to pick out the difference between speakers. From what I gather you're going totally on hearsay and aren't listening to any of the great advice given here.
I think you should really take a look at the fact that a lot of guys here know tone much better than you ever will and you really need to listen to them.
No to an AVT
No to a Marshall unless it's one of the good ones (JCM800, basically)
No to Boss pedals
If you can't even get close to the sound you want with a TSL, a distortion pedal won't get you any closer.

You need a more solid price range so people can actually help you.
And buy a combo or at most a 2x12 cab

EDIT: Get a bassist for your band.
Quote by ilovemySG

I thought you said you wanted a good amp?

Read my sig, it's there just for kids like you. It's true, too.

A 50W tube combo will absolutely crush your Spider and/or this ATV halfstack without a problem. Need a head and a cab? Well, really, you don't. But if you're set in that direction, try going with a decent 2x12 (maybe something from Avatar) and looking for a Laney GH50, Marshall DSL50 (I don't care what amp your other guitarist has) a Randall or B-52. Something. Look around for an all tube head, though. The amp you're looking at is crap.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
hey guys,

first of all thanks lol

pros

cons

The AVT is an absolutely awful choice!! You'll only end up selling it and buying a tube amp a few months down the line anyway.

Also, a 4x12 will not make you any louder, it merely provides a different spread and response to a combo. 90% of guitarists simply don't need a halfstack, so unless you're well informed on the choices you've got don't jump to a decision!
As one example, my Mesa/Boogie cost me about half of what a TSL goes for, and would blow it out of the water in almost every single way. Tone, build quality, versatility, volume, the lot. I've got no interest in bragging either, it's merely a fact....there's tons and tons of other amps that are better suited to you! If there are amps for the same price that'll get the tone you want perfectly, it seems odd to buy an inappropriate amp and assume that a cheapo pedal will solve all your worries.

So,if you're going to ask for advice I suggest you at least give it some consideration - after all, a lot of people are only on here to help stop others making the mistakes they did!

And one more thing...no product ever made by Boss deserves to be called 'badass'. Why buy a decent amp and wreck it with a mediocre, tone-sucking pedal?
yea i thought the avt was complete tube with the cabinet. i was wrong so the avt is out.

my dad went to college for this stuff and he really knows speakers. And marshalls suck? i mean dude, thats completly personal, if i went around and asked every guitar player on the planet if "marshalls sucked" it would be 50 50. Maybe you dont like the sound they put out, but other guitarists do. Its the same as some bands. You can say Lamb of God sucks, they dont suck, you just dont like the style they play. You can even go to the extreme of Fall out boy, they dont suck, you have no right to say the suck, there just not your music. Not to sound like a flamer, but for me to believe you because YOU say marshalls suck is a pretty bad observation. You obviosly dont like them because they dont put out your tone. And if you read my other posts, im not getting this head because of the distortion on it. I love its cleans and its quality, and a reall good pedal would do the trick. And buy a combo? you probably think im some ten year old rich kid who lives in like beverly hills or something. Im in a band who is serious about making music. and i wouldnt want to buy a small little amp that doesnt produce anything, when im going to buy a good setup down the road.
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
and yes kyle im not saying im jumping into the marshall.

im going to look into the mesas its just that i havent got to play one. hey who knows, maybe theyl blow me away.
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
and ile say it again for the ppl that keep on telling me.

I AM NOT GETTING THE AVT
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Quote by ilovemySG
yea i thought the avt was complete tube with the cabinet. i was wrong so the avt is out.

my dad went to college for this stuff and he really knows speakers. And marshalls suck? i mean dude, thats completly personal, if i went around and asked every guitar player on the planet if "marshalls sucked" it would be 50 50. Maybe you dont like the sound they put out, but other guitarists do. Its the same as some bands. You can say Lamb of God sucks, they dont suck, you just dont like the style they play. You can even go to the extreme of Fall out boy, they dont suck, you have no right to say the suck, there just not your music. Not to sound like a flamer, but for me to believe you because YOU say marshalls suck is a pretty bad observation. You obviosly dont like them because they dont put out your tone. And if you read my other posts, im not getting this head because of the distortion on it. I love its cleans and its quality, and a reall good pedal would do the trick. And buy a combo? you probably think im some ten year old rich kid who lives in like beverly hills or something. Im in a band who is serious about making music. and i wouldnt want to buy a small little amp that doesnt produce anything, when im going to buy a good setup down the road.

I think if you asked EVERYONE on this board 90% would say that the high end stuff is good, the low end stuff is shit.

I dotn think he was meaning that all Marshalls suck. Just for the price you are going to spend on an AVT or MG, there are WAY better amps you can buy. Look into a tube combo. 40 watts tube wil blow your 100 watt SS out of the water.
So you're not buying the AVT based on the fact you just found out it's not actually a tube not, for the fact it sounds crap. I'm in 2 serious bands, playing serious music and I've played a combo with that amp for nearly 2 years and the only reason I bought a stack was because the amp I wanted came only in head form so I bought a 2x12 to compensate. You are acting like a spoilt child, everyone will tell you to buy a combo because that's the probably the right choice. I never actually said Marshalls suck, the JCM800 is my all time favourite amp, go figure.
Give us a price range and something to work with.
Quote by ilovemySG

You are very misinformed. Listen to the guy who you just attemted to make fun of. Listen to Slats too. They know much more than you and its obvious from the ignorant things you have said. Marshalls are nice amps but the Mesa he has is better. Plus, its cheaper. And another thing, Kyle never said Marshalls suck. He just made a point that the mesa would fit your needs better. A pedal will not sound as nice as overdrive from a tube amp. Its plain and simple. Stacks are not needed unless you are playing sold out stadiums across the world. You are not and only need 30 or 50 watts tube and a 2x12 combo at most. If you want to buy a mediocre stack with your hard earned money, go for it. We are all just trying to help but you keep pushing us away because you think you know it all. So just settle down and heed our advice.
duuude. im not getting a solid state. Im getting a tube!i thought the avt was a tube, i was wrong. ( no wonder it turned on so fast!!)

and yes, due to the recent messages and posts concerning the amazingness of mesa boogies...

I AM DEFINETLY GOING TO LOOK INTO THEM!!!=)

clarification to everyone

can i find a mesa boogie tube head and cab OR a mesa boogie combo that can give me good clean tones and even better metal tones? if so, which ones?!?
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
nothing over $1800=)
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+