could someone help me out with this?

as far as tone goes, if I hear something I know if it sounds good or not, but when I try to mess with my lows, mids, and highs I just can't ever get anything good and just end up turning everything up to ten. Is there anything I can do to help this? any tips? or do I just need a better amp? (behringer GM108)
maybe ask some people who listen to you play ? hook up with other guitarists/musicians/bands

none of us can hear your tone can we ?...we are on a forum. Maybe spend some time on your own with the amp and guitar and pedals and just train your ear. I think a lead guitarists tone or rythm for this matter is probally the hardest thing to find. Good luck.
Set everything in the middle, and just turn one knob at a time until you are happy with it.

EDIT: You shouldn't be worrying about pedals until you can get your tone down without them. A pedal should not make your sound, it should compliment it.
*cries cuz he doesn't have any pedals yet*

is there any particular way to train my ear, or does it just take a lot of messin around?
your playing style is important, as well as the guitar settings. example is for harmonics, I use the bridge pickup as at least part of my selection, and keep treble about 1/2 or higher to keep them strong. I play blues with all bass and mids at 9 o clock like srv, and turn the pick to suit a heavier attack, and use the neck pickup, and roll the tone to half, and pick near the neck.. for acoustic sounding stuff I use neck/mid pickup with a bass and treble boost and tone on full. this is on my strat, so you should have similiar options.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
From my experience with the GM108, the eq doesn't seem to do too much in the way of shaping your tone. You could try starting at 5 or heck 0 even and playing a riff while adjusting the modelling settings/eq to the point where you think it sounds best. A real EQ pedal would probably give you quite a bit more in the boost/cut ranges as well as tighter control over the frequencies (7 band or 10 band). A cheap EQ pedal might help out if you want to really cut your frequencies down to certain spectrums or balance them better (DOD makes a nice 7 band for $50, but if you are looking for something super cheap you can pick up one of the Danelectro or Behringer eq stomp boxes.

I would recommend getting a better amp if you are really serious about your sound (its a great starter amp but there is a time when a bigger machine is needed).
well, my tone is just max out the bass,mids,treb. then on my fish and chips max out the treb and on my mt-2 put high half way, if you want and eq pedal get the fish and chips, no need to spend $60 more dollars on a boss eq.
yea, on my gm108 i really have to crank the knobs to get much audible difference, and I've been thinkin about gettin a new amp for a while... and I really don't know what I want. I'm pretty much an all around player, I like anything from death metal to the beatles, and I realize that a lot of amps are more specialized for a clean sound or a heavier sound etc, when I want it all. so I don't even know what I want to get.

as far as my amp goes, I'm kinda at a stage where I want a better sound, but I haven't played through any amps other than mine (and my friends really crappy amp that came with his first act) so I don't really know where to go.... I guess when I decide I'm ready I'll just go test out some amps at my local guitar shop and see what I like.
I'm pretty much an all around player, I like anything from death metal to the beatles, and I realize that a lot of amps are more specialized for a clean sound or a heavier sound etc, when I want it all.

Get a clean amp, as always I recommend tubes, I don't even look at solid state amps. Then use pedals to tailor the sound for what you want. Overdrive for just a bit of crunch, light distortion, (a lot of tube amps will give you that cranked to 10 too) then a distortion pedal for outright full tilt distortion, and most distortion pedals can be dialed in for any level of distortion you want.

I use a 73 Fender Super Reverb for onstage cranked tube amp, Peavey MX for clean, 74 Fender Champ for practice at home. The Super Reverb is used with and without pedals, depending on what I want for the song, the Peavey usually with pedals, except when I want totally clean for things like Dire Straits, Pink Floyd and country stuff where clean is the objective. The Super Reverb breaks up a bit too much for that, but just right for most rock and blues stuff. The Champ is rarely turned up past half volume, if I want anything but clean I use pedals. But it does sound better than any practice amp I've ever played, especially cranked to 10.

I loooked up your profile, if you hit the guitar shops and pawn shops in Shreveport you should find some good deals on excellent amps. I usually look at pawn shops first, I find good amps in the other north corner of the state all the time. Just a couple of weeks ago at a local pawn shop there was a Traynor 1x12 tube combo, 60 watts I think, just under $300, can't beat that and Traynor makes a good amp...I've also seen a bunch of other good Fender, Marshall, Peavey and Randall amps at good prices, just shop around.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...