I've learned almost exclusively by playing tabs, so my theory knowledge is, well, miserable. What are some scales I should pick up for playing metal? I know the minor pentatonic, but that's about it.

Any other miscellaneous things I should know are welcome as well. Obviously I can alternate pick, do pinch harmonics, and such. Sweep picking is a bit above my skill level though.
Squier Strat
B-52 AT-212 100w tube
Boss Metal Zone

Amateur philosopher and physicist
what type of Metal? Natural and Harmonic minor scales are pretty popular in metal though.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Ok, I'll learn those too. Any others? I have a giant book of scales, but it's a little overwhelming to pick out the ones I need to learn.

Oh, and I'd like to play in a similar style to LoG - more technical than heavy, with some quick picking and quick scale runs in the riffs. So basically, your tired cookie-cutter metalcore, lol.
Squier Strat
B-52 AT-212 100w tube
Boss Metal Zone

if you like shred like becker or stuff like that, harmonic minor is definately good. Also its good to learn some major scales. modes are also good to learn
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
first learn the major scale... and the minor scale just because its good to know it musically... after that learn the natural and harmonic minor and learn modes.
once you get real good at that you can probably do all you want in metal. learn blues scale too if u want to make it a little interesting.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Lamb of God heavily use the Harmonic Minor scales and Pentatonics. Thats a good place to start. From there learn your modes and minor scale variations.

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
I wouldn't really call lamb of god metalcore, but if you're into mathcore, bands like Converge, Dillinger Escape Plan, Mastodon, you might want to familiarize yourself with some less traditional time signatures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathcore
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Yeah, I've been playing music on different instruments for over ten years, but I still don't "get" unusual time signatures. I can count in them, but I can't internalize them. 4/4, 3/4, 2/4, and 6/8 are about all the time signatures I can comprehend. Mathcore is beyond me.
Squier Strat
B-52 AT-212 100w tube
Boss Metal Zone

Pentatonic Minor, Blues, Natural Minor, Harmonic Minor, Major (Riffing) and obviously alternate picking and a bit of chugging really.
Gear

Guitars -
ESP V-500 w/EMG 81/85
Jackson Mark Morton Signature Primer

Amps -
Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 60 Head
Marshall MS-2 Mini-Amp

Pedals -
Line 6 PodXT Live
Blackstart HT-Dual Valve Distortion