Page 1 of 2
Has anyone here seen that movie/documentary?

here is the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_EKHK1C2IE

here's a good summary/review of it from http://www.reelingreviews.com/jesuscamp.htm :
"In Hillside, Illinois, radio DJ Mike Papantonio warns his listeners about the political implications of the swelling ranks and activities of the Evangelicals. "Boys of Baraka" filmmakers Heidi Ewing and Rachel Grady give us unblinkered access to how the children of born again Christians are being taught and molded by media savvy Church leaders like Reverend Becky fisher at "Jesus Camp."

Laura:
Ewing and Grady have accomplished something of a miracle with "Jesus Camp" - they have made a documentary that is at once explosive and unbiased. Born again Christians will likely view their own with pride while the rest of us can be terrified at what this powerful movement may be capable of. The filmmakers have incredible access to their subjects and have made a visually dynamic and thoroughly engrossing film.

The first image of the Evangelicals we're presented with is of the kids performing a warlike stick routine to Christian rock. With their camouflaged face paint and intent expressions these young kids look like nothing less than a rising storm of religious extremists. 'Kids' pastor Becky Fisher calls for kids and parents alike to 'get your tools and fix this nasty world,' then proceeds to tell the filmmakers how usable children are, pointing out that 'our enemies' have been quite successful in doing so.

We get the stats - 43% of Evangelists are 'born again' before the age of 13 and there are 80 million in the U.S. 75% of home schooled children are Evangelists and Ewing and Grady's access brings us into a home where a mother (a picture of absent dad, a U.S. soldier, hangs on the wall) teaches her children that creationism is the only possible answer and that global warming is a political hot topic but is of no concern - can a .6 degree temperature raise possibly cause us any harm?

Three children are profiled as well. There is Rachel, a Jesus Geek unparalleled who inured to the taunts of other children and who evangelizes in a bowling alley. Levi, adorned with mullet-queue, informs us that 'America's supposed to be God's Nation' as he poses with a cardboard cutout of George W. (Hugo Chavez would strongly disagree). Tory vibrates, speaking in tongues, and berates herself for occasionally feeling the flesh when she dances to Christian heavy metal. When they all come together at Jesus Camp, they're told that Harry Potter should be put to death by Becky Fisher, a woman who knows how to put on a show and who exorcizes evil spirits beforehand by blessing everything from the electricity to her PowerPoint presentation. Do none of them realize the irony of their camp's location? Devil's Lake, North Dakota."

I think it's pretty stupid what these people are "teaching" children in America.

what are your thoughts?
sup?
I watched it. I didn't like it. Especially when they were like "Did you get to the part in the movie when they said 'Science doesn't actually prove anything?' It's really interesting if you look at things that way!"

But it's not completely terrible.
We actually just watched that movie in my religion class. It's some pretty sick ****. Made me kind of worried because they're basically training an army of mindless clones.

Way too much psycho for my Friday morning.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.
Yeah... that's the thing about evangelicals I'll never quite understand.

even the Christians i know hate them.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
the cross is the true sign of the devil
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
I found it rather depressing to see the children grow up into that kind of mindset. I'm all for believing your own things (within reason of course), but don't go and try to impose it on others.
I got drunk and watched it. I waited 60 minutes for that chump with the mullet to get tattooed in the forehead by a machete and it never happened. Disappointing but still I think everyone should watch it to see how psychotic religion is becoming.
Heh, I only saw one colored person in that trailer. :s
Long Live Rock n' Roll
I want to see it, just to say I have, and to see what they're brainwashing them.

And I don't mean that as an offense toward Christians, I have no problem with people having religion.

It's the EXTREMISTS I'm worried about. I mean, from what I've read, this is an Army of God camp, and they're teaching them their ideals.

For those who don't know, Army of God is a Christian terrorist organization.

That even shocked me when I read it for the first time. It was basically unknown up until a few years back, and then Eric Rudolph (1996 Olympic bomber) said things about it during interrogations and such.

And they really are terrorists. They're behind most of the bombings of abortion clinics, gay bars, and other non-Christian places and things.

I mean, that's insane. Extremist Christian terror groups? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't MOST Christians taught about PEACE, and LOVE?

It's crazy how easily simple things can be skewed to such huge, unparalleled levels.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by YourMessiah666
for some reason, my first thought after watching this movie was the word nazi.

me too
sup?
That movie made me wanna burn churches. But since that's illegal I just decided to say "God Damnit" a lot to make Christians all uncomfortable and stuff.
jesus camp is the reason i became an athiest.
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
Rhode Island
It is neither a Road, nor an Island. Discuss
i want to watch it , but i haven't been able to find it anywhere and i really don't want to buy it.

oh well, i will just hope that eventually i stumble upon it in a library somewhere.
Quote by FlyingFuc!<
yeah and christians are insane.

that's almost as bad as basing your opinions of Islam on suicide bombers...
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
I'm Christian myself and I don't understand those extremists at all. They aren't understanding the real message of Christianity.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
I'm Christian myself and I don't understand those extremists at all. They aren't understanding the real message of Christianity.

Not trying to be hostile, or start anything, because I don't mean any hostility by this, but who is to say what the "real message of Christianity" is?

IMO, there is no such thing. It's how the individual perceives it, and how they want to interpret it. The only reasons there are so many different sections of Christianity is because certain people had/have differnet ideas than others may, and that idea is just spread, and more and more people take it as their "real message".

That's just my opinion. Like I said, I'm not trying yo challenge you or anything, that's just how I see it.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
These are evangelists, remember not all christians are like this. I found the movie terrifying, tbh. People underestimate the psychological aspect of "god" - if young children are convinced by others that god talks to them (like shown in this documentary), then eventually they'll start thinking it themselves. And once they're convinced that there's a god talking to them, there's no way to get them away from it. In cases like this, I can't help thinking of religion as a mental illness.
I'm a communist. Really.

"When I was 5, I was saved, I just felt like I wanted more out of life"

haha

Anyway, yeah I saw part of this. The weirdest thing was my sister was watching it on the tele when I was asleep, so I just woke up to some crazy woman screaming about how the US was "founded on Judeo-Christian beliefs". I hate that.

It's a really good documentary from a sociological standpoint, terribly interesting and all that. I'm glad I watched it is what I mean, even though it was somewhat maniacal.
Quote by fallenangel20
Not trying to be hostile, or start anything, because I don't mean any hostility by this, but who is to say what the "real message of Christianity" is?

IMO, there is no such thing. It's how the individual perceives it, and how they want to interpret it. The only reasons there are so many different sections of Christianity is because certain people had/have differnet ideas than others may, and that idea is just spread, and more and more people take it as their "real message".

That's just my opinion. Like I said, I'm not trying yo challenge you or anything, that's just how I see it.

Well, if there is any one message that we should all agree on that comes from Christianity, it's that we all should love each other, and not have to be enemies. There are so many people who claim to Christians, but they don't realize that at all.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
I find it funny how they think these kids are going to defend the U.S.A. with an army of children. I can just imagine an army of children fighting a bunch of teroists with nothing more then preaching...
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
Quote by eldanny
I find it funny how they think these kids are going to defend the U.S.A. with an army of children. I can just imagine an army of children fighting a bunch of teroists with nothing more then preaching...

that would be a bloody mess man...
(but then again they wouldnt caWHO ALL IS AN ATHIEST HERE?re b/c (and i got this from the movie) your life on earth is a short nothing, live for your afterlife, SIZE=7]WHO ALL IS AN ATHIEST HERE?i am..
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
Rhode Island
Quote by Pete_C_Bass
(but then again they wouldnt care b/c (and i got this from the movie) your life on earth is a short nothing, live for your afterlife.

who all is an atheist here? i am..

i fixed that so it is more readable.

as for your question, i am an atheist. yet, i fail to see what it has to do with the film other than it might give you a bias going in to watch the film.
(but then again they wouldnt caWHO ALL IS AN ATHIEST HERE?re b/c (and i got this from the movie) your life on earth is a short nothing, live for your afterlife, SIZE=7]WHO ALL IS AN ATHIEST HERE?i am..
...what?
sup?
Quote by ldl67
...what?

+1
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
IMO, Christianity is just a sheild for people to hide behind while critisizing others. I'm all for freedom of reigion, whatever helps you sleep at night, but religions can be very dangerous. There are so many religions, who is anyone to say that they no the definitive truth. they can't. I advocate belief in the flying Spaghetti Monster. Bow down to your noodly master!
Quote by ldl67
...what?

lol we will try again, just out of curiousity, who is an athiest? and who is religios? also, jesus camp is a sick neo-nazi movie, and i would like to burn down that camp..yeah.. thats the rough idea of that last thread.. silly glitchy computer..
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
Rhode Island
It is screwed up beyond all reason. I pity the children there...
Quote by Twist of fate
Aliens can invade us. Apparently you've never heard of pearl harbor

Quote by uhh_me?
i fixed that so it is more readable.

as for your question, i am an atheist. yet, i fail to see what it has to do with the film other than it might give you a bias going in to watch the film.

thanks for fixing it, not to do anything with the movie, just to see how the radically different beleif systems look at the movie, (it seems that most christians, *anyone not evangelist* seems to have the same reaction to the movie as the athiests do, and thats that this camp is sick and twisted and need to be destroyed.) im all for letting people have their religion, but who the **** are you trying to fool pretending your speaking in toungues?(the people in the movie)
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
Rhode Island
I haven't seen the movie( or even the trailer), but I think these are the type of people that give Christians a bad name. People that preach to people that aren't willing to hear it really bothers me.

I go to University of Tennessee football games and there was a man outside of the stadium holding The Bible above his head and screaming: "Here lies salvation" and "If you don't read this book you will burn in Hell." I assume people like these make atheists and such hate Christians more. Please realize that most Christians aren't like this and many of them are just alike you just with different religions.
My Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Alpine White
Vox AD30VT
Epiphone SG Special - Black
Planet Waves Cables
Levy's Strap
Dunlop .70 Picks
Quote by Hondo2112
IMO, Christianity is just a sheild for people to hide behind while critisizing others. I'm all for freedom of reigion, whatever helps you sleep at night, but religions can be very dangerous. There are so many religions, who is anyone to say that they no the definitive truth. they can't. I advocate belief in the flying Spaghetti Monster. Bow down to your noodly master!

he sounds delicious
Quote by Fuzzycows5157
Rhode Island
Quote by Pete_C_Bass
lol we will try again, just out of curiousity, who is an athiest? and who is religios? also, jesus camp is a sick neo-nazi movie, and i would like to burn down that camp..yeah.. thats the rough idea of that last thread.. silly glitchy computer..

im atheist. the movie is not sick, the camp itself is.
sup?
Quote by Toxic Guitar
This is why I don't like relegion. There all hypocrites.

Quote by SkyValley
That movie made me wanna burn churches. But since that's illegal I just decided to say "God Damnit" a lot to make Christians all uncomfortable and stuff.

Quote by Hondo2112
IMO, Christianity is just a sheild for people to hide behind while critisizing others. I'm all for freedom of reigion, whatever helps you sleep at night, but religions can be very dangerous.

Way to decry "those religious nutters" with the same ignorant, widely sweeping bigotry that they are, according to you, so prevalent in spreading. Thats not ironic at all.
Last edited by NorseGodofRock at Nov 7, 2007,

how about the bible to begin with? more specifically, jesus himself.

Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.
GAL 6:2

that is paul. but here's what jesus had to say:

MATTHEW 5
MATTHEW 25

look it up in your own bible. if you don't have one ... buy one, heathens.
#DTWD
alot of times, religion just tells people they arent good enough. making them feel powerless. deosnt islam(similar to christianity, not the crap u see on the media) tanslate to "surrender"?

i belive in god, not jesus and not hell. i think i believe in a god different from any Christian, he loves, and since he loves u he could never send u to a place that would do harm to u. hell is just a way of scaring people into believing something.

i went to an evangelist chruch once. usually i go to my grandmas baptist church, which actually teaches good things without brainwash

pretty much...worst sunday ever...i had a massive hangover, im chillin in the pew and the preacher is like "WOULD JESUS DRINK ALCOHOL!?!" and the crowd yells "NO!!!" then he goes "ALCOHOL IS THE DEVILS CONCOCTION",

then i thought, ok then jesus is going to hell, cuz didnt he drink wine and dont christians drink wine at communion...??????? they are so full of ****.

i feel sorry for regualr christians. a good article was published in Rolling Stone a few months back about this topic called Teenage Holy War.
Page 1 of 2