I want to become a great guitar player- the likes of Steve Vai and John Frusciante

I know we all want to be as great as Steve Vai and Joe Satriani and John Frusciante etc, etc.

But I really want to be as great as them, and I'm going to be, but I need to figure out the journey to get there.

I know John Frusciante practiced 15 hours a day but WHAT did he practice?

Steve and Joe practiced 10 hours a day but I still don't know what he practiced

I definitely don't mind practicing that much I have before and I enjoyed it alot.

But I've made so much stride in my music that I'm really not looking at passing high school so I need to become as great a guitarist as I can.

I want to learn how to take the music out of my head and put it through my amp.

What can I practice/learn/play to become great?

I'm taking lessons and I'm taking beginning music theory next semester.

I know I will spend the rest of this life perfecting my music technique, but I want to be able to play the type of music John played when he was 20- when I'm 20

I don't know much else about Vai or Satch

any advice?
do the vai 10 hour guitar workout
Quote by rocker138
Wow...I can't believe no one thought of that, I actually have lost 5% of my confidence for not thinking of that, I bow to you

MY GEAR
EPIPHONE LES PAUL STANDARD
RANDALL RG75 G2 SERIES
MARSHALL JACKHAMMER
ear training... lots. if you can take something you hear on a stereo and play it through a guitar, itll be easier to take what you hear in your head and turn that into music. other than that, play everything, learn everything, practice everything.

and dont take a 7 year cocaine stint from a band
Quote by Godzilla1969
Get the **** off your computer, maybe?

Made me grin but
Quote by 6079 Smith W
One time I had this chick setting on my lap, sucking on my neck, unbuttoning my pants when one of my friends walked in and ruined the whole thing. To be fair though, she was his girlfriend.

Shoopin' that whoop since before you were born, son.
Quote by Godzilla1969
Get the **** off your computer, maybe?

I forgot to mention that I was grounded from guitar.

How do you know I wasn't playing guitar while on UG? alot of people do it, even though it's not the best thing.

I've looked into the 10 hour workout but I was never really consistent about it.
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Frusciante says the spirits of dead people tell him what to play. Maybe you should try that.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
John had like a few year period when he just did heroin. Try that?
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by civildp1
Frusciante says the spirits of dead people tell him what to play. Maybe you should try that.

You can't "Try it" lulz

But I do know there is something greater than myself, directing my music. Writing music isn't what I'm worried about, playing guitar is.

When I hear something in my head, I can generally play it, sometimes not.
honestly, practicing 10 hours a day and dedicating your life to guitar will make you a good player. better than most. but greatness isn't something you can learn from a website. its really something your destined for. in my opinon anyway.
Like some people said,just do try doing tons of drugs,then sell all your equipment for drug money,burn your house down and then rejoin the Chili Peppers.
Quote by Vin2254
honestly, practicing 10 hours a day and dedicating your life to guitar will make you a good player. better than most. but greatness isn't something you can learn from a website. its really something your destined for. in my opinon anyway.

it will make you a good player
but ur social life will completely disappear.

u choose.
no friends-10 hours of practice every day=amazing geetar shreddage
friends-couples hours of pratice=prety good guitar without being a weirdo with no friends.
Call me Trey.
go the musician talk forum

play for the sake of it and not for how good you want to be

enjoy it as much as you can, or you'll end up hating music
just about every guitarist has this admiration to become like there idol, or become better, sometime it goes away and u think about other stuff, thats what happens to me. i want to become as good or better than stevie ray vaughan, but than something else comes up and i forget about it, usually happens when im said i start to think that one day i'll show the world my musical genius, but than i realize i kinda suck for right now, so what are u sad about enough to post a thread about how u want to show the world how awesome u are. and if u want to become as good as those guys u need to go to college and learn theory thats at least what steve vai did, his teacher being joe satriani, i dont know about john but pass high school kid then go to college
Quote by THE PIT
OMG ZEROHERO UR THE MOST AWESOMEST DUDE EVER

InfeRno" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club

Gear:
sucky squire
Kramer
Dean ML
gnx3 pedal
sucky fender squire amp

:stickpoke
I know playing 10+ hours a day won't lead to greatness, in music, but it will in guitar. I know I am destined to be a musician, that is the only reason I was born and I'm still alive in this physical form.

I just love playing guitar- and yes my social life has declined, but really, it's not that important.. I'm not "weird" or anything. I still hang out with my friends some

I'm not trying to be like anyone- I'm being myself.

BTW, "shredding" isn't what's important to me or cool at the moment, I'm past that phase
Quote by zerohero
just about every guitarist has this admiration to become like there idol, or become better, sometime it goes away and u think about other stuff, thats what happens to me. i want to become as good or better than stevie ray vaughan, but than something else comes up and i forget about it, usually happens when im said i start to think that one day i'll show the world my musical genius, but than i realize i kinda suck for right now, so what are u sad about enough to post a thread about how u want to show the world how awesome u are. and if u want to become as good as those guys u need to go to college and learn theory thats at least what steve vai did, his teacher being joe satriani, i dont know about john but pass high school kid then go to college

John is a drop-out,if I'm correct.
Frusciante is my idol, and I cant speak for Vai, but there is only one thing you need to do. Learn to get the music from your head to the guitar, thats it.

Easier said then done of course.

Many of the greatest, Van Halen, Hendrix, Frusciante, they had one thing in common. 2 really, a love for playing guitar, and the fact that they would spend hours a day listening to the same recording over and over until they figured it out.

They got the music into their head and then figured out how to do it on the guitar with their ears and their heads.

My suit mate, I idolize him as a guitarist, he makes amazing and natural sounding stuff without even trying. I asked him, when he's playing, is it with his head, his hands, is he running scales?

He told me, he hears music in his head, and he's spent so many years sitting down trying to figure out how to play it on the guitar, that by this point it just flows naturally.

Thats it my friend. The techniques and appregios and tapping and all that can come afterwards.

Now Vai and Satch took a different approach, more theory orientated. Satch, I love the man, he combines the right amount of head music with enough impressive techniques, he has the best of both worlds, but it still takes those years of practice bridging the gap between your head and your hands.

Listen to the music in your head. Sit with a guitar, find the right note and work from there. You could spend 2 hours doing this to get a decent result.
After a week though, 1.5 hours wields the same results.
and so on, as you get quicker and learning intervals and chords colors, you start giving it a more full sound. You notice, when you strum the A chord, it sounds more full then when the song you are figuring out does, you start making little changes to perfect it.

Thats when your on the right road.
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
Quote by zerohero

It's not what I can show the world, but what I can give to the world. Besides I want to make a living doing what I love doing, it's not a phase or a trend or something. From day 1 I knew I was going to be "rockstar".

It's not so much about the fame as much as it is about the love. But I've got live some how
Quote by SoccerRM1
John had like a few year period when he just did heroin. Try that?

John spent those years practicing and never touched any drug, no pot, nothing. He got great at guitar first, then he started using pot when he joined the RHCP and later heroin. At first, he peaked at his playing (circa Blood Sugar Sex Magik), Afterwards he continued and went downhill. He quit, though he did learn something new, the idea of sound textures. When he came back to the Chilis after quiting drugs, he couldn't play 1/3 of what he used to, he was much more sloppy and couldn't get it right. After years of playing, he is getting back to his prime, plus he has the new mentality of sound texture in mind, making use of multiple layers and effects to produce audio landscapes or unique but tasteful guitar tones.

PS, man I totally respect where you are going with this. Let me tell you though, do not **** up in high school. Guitar should be your life, but school should be your job, at least for now. I know I am in the same boat as you, I knew since day 1 that there was only 1 thing i dreamed about, and thats the rockstar. I picked up guitar only not too long ago sadly, but its been the best thing I may have ever done. But really, school has to be done right, even college (hell, thing of being a guitar major. Most schools offer study in classical or jazz, sounds weak but jazz improv could be very helpful in getting your range of music opened and increase your knowledge of improv.. or look at more modern guitar schools like Berkley).

Just don't mess up highschool man, its the starting block for the rest of your life. Don't be that kid who plays guitar, though hes good, but in a ****ty local band and lives with his mom.. or worse, lives with his buddies smoking pot and playing guitar while holding a job at Publix at the age of 27.

Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
Last edited by horazonblade at Nov 7, 2007,
This is why guitar tablature is a double edged sword. 12-15 year olds equate it with sheet music and forget all about that "Guitar Theory" thing.

What the hell do you think they practiced for 10-15 hours man? It had to be that "Guitar Theory" or they'd be beating off on UG...
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by Blow Me
This is why guitar tablature is a double edged sword. 12-15 year olds equate it with sheet music and forget all about that "Guitar Theory" thing.

What the hell do you think they practiced for 10-15 hours man? It had to be that "Guitar Theory" or they'd be beating off on UG...

lol wut
I practice...almost everyday

i don't think that i should do it religiously...just when i'm in the mood

although i do want to be considered as a great guitarist, i think what im doing now is fine for how im playing

btw i've been playing for 4 years
Quote by DieGarbageMan
i can become erect whilst displeasing women

What a talented person.
its not about how long u practice or any of the satndard crap. its about what u practice and how well u practice. if u constantly play something u already kno u wont improve. but if u really look at what u cant play or just plain weak at and then try to improve that in yur regular practice and dont play it accurately instead of quickly u will improve greatly and and b better than most of the half-ass players on here. regular practice of twenty minutes for three days is better than one hour of practice on one day. and if somethin yur tryna play is really stressin u out or what not, take a break and try it the next day. it WILL b alot easier to play. i kno that from personnal experience. i should go and start practicing again...
Quote by TDKshorty
lol wut

You read me boy!

I'm full of shit...don't worry about it...
I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by eddie/randy_101
its not about how long u practice or any of the satndard crap. its about what u practice and how well u practice. if u constantly play something u already kno u wont improve. but if u really look at what u cant play or just plain weak at and then try to improve that in yur regular practice and dont play it accurately instead of quickly u will improve greatly and and b better than most of the half-ass players on here. regular practice of twenty minutes for three days is better than one hour of practice on one day. and if somethin yur tryna play is really stressin u out or what not, take a break and try it the next day. it WILL b alot easier to play. i kno that from personnal experience. i should go and start practicing again...

Just curious here...what exactly do you practice?
I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit.
Please, don't put the likes of John Frusciante in the same sentence as Steve Vai and Joe Satriani. There is simply no comparison. Frusciante isn't even half the player that the other two are.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Quote by Liberation
Please, don't put the likes of John Frusciante in the same sentence as Steve Vai and Joe Satriani. There is simply no comparison. Frusciante isn't even half the player that the other two are.

No, this comment is going to turn the whole discussion, aimed towards the guy who wrote the topic, into an arguement about the guitarists. Please do the thread a favor and delete it.

Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

Quote by Liberation

I'm going to disregard that and assume you know very little of the Froosh
its funny cause u and half of ug have the same admiration as u, they all fell like they were born to be rockstar, thats including me, so i guess were not all gonna become famous are we, people tell me im good but for some reason i dont believe them, they tell im great but i seen this hundreds of time on here of kids just like u and me who say one day im gonna be a rcokstar, i guess if u want to become a rockstar so bad keep telling people u were born to be a rockstar one day who knows u just might, i gave up on that little dream i play just to have fun, if i get famous for it well good for me
Quote by THE PIT

Gear:
sucky squire
Kramer
Dean ML
gnx3 pedal
sucky fender squire amp

Quote by Blow Me
Just curious here...what exactly do you practice?

same thing that i practice.

anything thing that you don't know
Quote by DieGarbageMan
i can become erect whilst displeasing women

What a talented person.
Quote by zerohero
its funny cause u and half of ug have the same admiration as u, they all fell like they were born to be rockstar, thats including me, so i guess were not all gonna become famous are we, people tell me im good but for some reason i dont believe them, they tell im great but i seen this hundreds of time on here of kids just like u and me how say on day im gonna be a rcokstar, i guess if u want to become a rockstar so bad kept telling people u were born to be a rockstar on day who knows u just might, i gave up on that little dream i play just to have fun, if i get famous for it well good for me

If you read earlier its not about the fame or fortune. It's about something greater, my love for Music.
I guess if you call it "rockstar" then that's what I'm going to be; because I have to find some way to make money, but other than that...

You would do better to call me a musician
and you really didn't help the thread, so please anyone else refrain from anything "discouraging" or unhelpful
Quote by TDKshorty
It's not what I can show the world, but what I can give to the world. Besides I want to make a living doing what I love doing, it's not a phase or a trend or something. From day 1 I knew I was going to be "rockstar".

It's not so much about the fame as much as it is about the love. But I've got live some how

did you not write this man cause it says from day one u knew u were gonna become a rockstar
Quote by THE PIT

Gear:
sucky squire
Kramer
Dean ML
gnx3 pedal
sucky fender squire amp

Last edited by zerohero at Nov 7, 2007,
Quote by zerohero
did you not right this man cause it says from day one u knew u were gonna become a rockstar

I put it in quotations, then proceeded to say "its not about the fame as much as it is about the love. but I have to make a living some how"

of course I'm going to be a famous musician- so I used the term "rockstar" loosely, hence the qouatations.
ok man just stay in school go to college and expand ur musical mind to music theory, and other great courses. good luck becoming the famous "musician" u were meant to be

good luck buddy
Quote by THE PIT

Gear:
sucky squire
Kramer
Dean ML
gnx3 pedal
sucky fender squire amp