Poll: F-Series or Mark IV?
Poll Options
View poll results: F-Series or Mark IV?
F-series (f30~600 f50~800)
10 26%
Mark IV (amp of the gods)(~1.4k)
29 74%
Voters: 39.
Alright, Im snooping around for a new amp. Mainly play bedroom but like to jam with friends too. SO the amp must sound good both "quiet" and loud. Im a Metallica tone freak but I venture into A LOT of different genres. Cleans must be nice.....
Budget? LoL I dont know what to say. Preferably as low as possible but I could save up a bit for a Mark IV combo if somebody persuaded me too I guess, I just don't know if it would be worth the 1.5 k.

Anyways, what to you guys think?
I've never tried the Mark IV, but I have tried the F-50, and I loved it, even at a low volume. The cleans were very good, and the distortion was even better, awesomely tight and smooth. Plus they're cheaper than a Mark IV.
I have nice stuff, but only because I've been fortunate enough to find it cheap.

For your needs, I'd think an F30 would be more than enough. You might even want to look at the Express 5:25 if you're spending most of your time in the bedroom.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
An F series will do what you want. However, I'm almost certain the Mark IV will be much better for you, but if you don't want to spend a lot, you could easily get an F-30 for 1/3 the price of a Mark IV.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
meh...I hated the express when I tried it at GC. I didnt crank it, but at low volume it seemed like I couldnt get any chug out of it whatsoever.
FWIW- You can get a used Mark IV in the $900-$1100 US range. I've seen a couple for even less on ebay. They're very well built, so buying used could save some serious bucks.
The Mark IV would be more of a lifetime investment in tone. While the F-Series sound very good, you may want something different down the road, esp if you play louder more often. If you can afford it, buy once & enjoy it long-term.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
FWIW- You can get a used Mark IV in the $900-$1100 US range. I've seen a couple for even less on ebay. They're very well built, so buying used could save some serious bucks.
The Mark IV would be more of a lifetime investment in tone. While the F-Series sound very good, you may want something different down the road, esp if you play louder more often. If you can afford it, buy once & enjoy it long-term.

+1
Keep an eye out on evilbay. You will want to know what you're looking for, though. Try the guys at The Boogie Board so you don't get shafted. Mesas are built like tanks, so they should usually be in good condition. But yeah, I'd definitely go used unless you're rich. Besides, Mark IV vs. F-series isn't even a contest

Edit: Local craigslist = your friend.
Quote by ASGTrace
Link me to a $1000 Mark IV and Ill buy that thing ASAP.

There was a combo Mark IV for sale at a local shop 2 mos ago for $900 US in decent condition, but I didn't have time to play it or ask about it (I was in a hurry, & they were busy. I just stopped in to check price of OCD). I went back 3 weeks later after convincing my wife that this additional amp was an absolute necessity, & needless to say it was gone . They are out there, but you have to be patient & watch ebay & craigslist diligently (& peruse local used gear in stores).
Next time, I'm going to just buy the f#@king thing & beg forgiveness.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
i saw a mark iv head in decent condition go for $800 "buy it now" on ebay. so, yeah, dreams can come true.

and an od pedal in front makes the world of a difference, even my blues driver into my mark iv gave me a new appreciation.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
You can wait a few days and ask Erock503 as he just bought my F-100. He will have tried them both out.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
a Mark IV would be a lifetime investment. Go used, they average from 800 - 1200.
also, forgot to add, because they are 85 watts (at least, i think they are), if it gets loud for bedroom or small jams, use an Attentuator. the THD hotplate is suppose to be golden.
keep in mind it's switchable to 15watts class a... which is just wholesome fun.

btw have you taken any other amps into consideration?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Of course I have. Marshalls are OK, but for some reason they just won't click with me. ENGL's sound badass, but expensive, and if Im using that much $$ might as well get a Mark IV. Orange=not my style, like Marshall. Fender/Crate...blah..

The only other amp I liked was a B-52 AT 212
Quote by ASGTrace
Of course I have. Marshalls are OK, but for some reason they just won't click with me. ENGL's sound badass, but expensive, and if Im using that much $$ might as well get a Mark IV. Orange=not my style, like Marshall. Fender/Crate...blah..

The only other amp I liked was a B-52 AT 212

I wouldn't look at it as spending a certain amount of money, might as well buy something else.

If the Engl appeals to you, it's probably going to be a better amp for you. Marks are great, but if you're looking at something else but the price is getting in the way, you might not be entirely satisfied with an amp the quality of a Mark.

If at all possible, try both the Engl, and Mark. I understand both the Mark series and Engl amps are hard to come by in the US, but saving you from buying a new amp 5 years down the road IMO is much more important.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Yeah I wish I could try any of these amps out but I doubt I could find them here in the NYC area.... Damn GC and Sam Ash
Quote by ASGTrace
Yeah I wish I could try any of these amps out but I doubt I could find them here in the NYC area.... Damn GC and Sam Ash

Are you kidding me?!?

Get your ass up to 48th Street in Manhattan for Rudy's and Manny's. There's no bigger selection of amps in a smaller area than those two shops. Then you can stop in at Sam Ash just to laugh at them.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I'd suggest trying the amps before deciding on one. The Mark IV is not a plug-and-play amp, you'll have to sit and EQ the amp for a while to get a feel for it. It's got a lot of functions and isn't an amp you can sit with for about 10 minutes, think you've heard what it can do, and move onto another amp. I've played the F-30 and F-50 before, wasn't overly impressed with either of them.
Well I WAS going to get the Mark, but I just got a deal on CL for a f-50 for $675. Which isnt all too bad. I cant live with my spider anymore, so I had to grab this. If I like it then thats that, if I like it but need more, the Mark will come in the future.