I've been trying to learn how to play Master Of Puppets but I can't get my downpicking fast enough. Does anyone know any exercises I could do to speed up my picking? And a few tips as well. It'll be much appreciated.
make sure u pick with the least amount movement possible (picking hand) and just keep practicing the main riffs with a metronome slowing speeding it up towards the desired speed ie. master of puppets speed, 220 or whatever it is should do the trick. practice every arvo
R u alternate picking or jst using downstrokes? If ur jst usin downstrokes ul never get fast enuf 2 play Master Of Puppets. The intro riff is an excellent one 2 learn on tho... i have never bothered with metrenomes much. I find when learning new stuff jst get the basics down and slowly work your way up to the speed. When i was first learning alternate picking i used the intro to "Montsegur" By Iron Maiden. First i jst learnt the notes then once i had them, practiced with alternate. It took a while (around a month i think) but eventually i had it perfect and could play it much faster than the actual recording while still staying acurate.

The best way is to practice.
Screw Ignorance... Indifference is bliss.
I think practicing scales with a metronome would be great, like you do to improve the speed of your alternate picking, but do it all with down picking. Chromatics would work too, especially because people have the most trouble with the chromatic riff of the song.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
R u alternate picking or jst using downstrokes? If ur jst usin downstrokes ul never get fast enuf 2 play Master Of Puppets. The intro riff is an excellent one 2 learn on tho... i have never bothered with metrenomes much. I find when learning new stuff jst get the basics down and slowly work your way up to the speed. When i was first learning alternate picking i used the intro to "Montsegur" By Iron Maiden. First i jst learnt the notes then once i had them, practiced with alternate. It took a while (around a month i think) but eventually i had it perfect and could play it much faster than the actual recording while still staying acurate.

thats stupid, u CAN down pick it with practice. its meant to be down picked just hang in there and you'll get it
i alternate pick for that song......is that bad?

just practice with a metronome or powertab. start slow, and gradually get faster.

Jack my swag
Quote by gopherthegreat
i alternate pick for that song......is that bad?

just practice with a metronome or powertab. start slow, and gradually get faster.

It's not bad. The reason why Metallica downpick pretty much everything is that it provides a heavier sound than alternate picking does.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
agreed with Flamencogod.....
when i first learned "Master of Puppets" i got cramps in my shoulder after doing the first 4 measures..... all downstroke. so i just played it a tad slower and i could do it that way...and then when i got tired, i switched it to alternate untill my shoulder regained strength.

But after playing the song for almost a year now, one day i just sat down and started playing the song with all downstrokes and it sounded perfectly in-time and my shoulder wasn't hurting so bad!

So my advice? just play it a little slower so that you can develop those muscles to keep sounding metalish >:-)
Quote by vikramkr
I am trying to shred using power chords