ok, i know most people are probably sick of these "newbie wants help for first bass" threads, but tough luck, heres another one.

The basses im looking at are:
• Yamaha RBX170 $379
• YamahaRB270 $449
• AshtonAB2 $299
• ESP LTD B50 $425
• Ibanez SR200 $395
• Squier (Fender) Affinity J-Bass $389
• Squier (Fender) Affinity P-Bass $389
(all prices are in $AU)
Of these bassess, which one is best?
if you have any better suggestions please say so, but i dont want to go too much over the prices you see above. also, i need an amp as well, but dont know where to start for these so please suggest some good ones
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin
and dance around in your bones

Damn, things are expensive in Australia.

I would probably go for a Peavey Millenium BXP if you can get it over there, as they're excellent basses for the price.

The Squier Vintage Modified Jazz basses are quite good as well, but I don't know what the price range is like in AU:
Squier VM Jazz

But for your list, I'd say either the Ibanez or the Squier Affinity J - solid instruments for a beginner.

I'm recommended Jazz basses as opposed to P basses, mainly because I feel that their necks are more comfortable to play, and they are more versatile in terms of tone.

In terms of an amp, a smaller combo amp will do you fine for now, but DO NOT BUY BEHRINGER!!! Low quality products that will NOT last you very long.
Also, are you playing with friends or by yourself? Regardless, I think you should get something that has at LEAST 50W, because I assume you will eventually play with friends.

Something like this is quite good: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/SWR-LA12-Bass-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482037

I've played one and it sounds a lot louder and punchier than you'd think from such a tiny amp. SWR is quality stuff too.
Last edited by Charlatan_001 at Nov 7, 2007,
I love my Ibanez bass...I learned on it and still use it when I need to lay down a bass track. It's a solid starter instrument in my book.
i don like those yamaha's, i bought esp and its good bass, (too black and stylish) but esp is more for guitars, fender is cool, very cool,
by the way in my country guitars r much more expensive, u can buy fender stratocaster in 800$
my bass cost me 600$
i don like those yamaha's, i bought esp and its good bass, (too black and stylish) but esp is more for guitars, fender is cool, very cool,

i presume you mean the yamahas are too black and stylish... well thats exactly why i like them

as for the amp, yes i will be using it for playing with friends and stuff.
when you say 'combo amp' what does this mean?

thanks for all the help sofar, currently i think im leaning towards the ibanez or a yamaha.
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin

Last edited by ICOG at Nov 7, 2007,
a combo amp is when you havethe amp head and speaker together.like this. See how they're built as just one unit.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-C410T300-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485034

this is the other option. buying them seperatly.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-300H-300W-Bass-Amp-Head?sku=485030

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-410T-4X10-Deep-Bass-Cabinet-with-Tweeter?sku=605032

In this case it's slightly cheaper to get them seperate but you will have to buy a cable to go between the amp and the cabinet. The advantage of this is to be able to replace just one part of your rig at a time. Also when you get into really high wattage ams and really expensive stuff it will pretty much always be bought seperate.

Also buying them seperate lets you mix and match parts that you think would go well together.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
The ESP LTD B50 is a good Bass, i was going to get it when i starting playing a few months ago. Imo id say the ESP cause i like the feel of them and i like playing them.
Not to pricey either, cheaper than the one here in NZ
Quote by ICOG
i presume you mean the yamahas are too black and stylish... well thats exactly why i like them

as for the amp, yes i will be using it for playing with friends and stuff.
when you say 'combo amp' what does this mean?

thanks for all the help sofar, currently i think im leaning towards the ibanez or a yamaha.

no i mean the esp is stylish, but the yamaha, i dont know, they rt bikers and television people (japanese, as ibanez lol)
Ok, so i've revised my list to a few basses, and added some amps. thanks to king krapp i can get all of my previous choices cheaper.

Basses:
Squire fender j bass $317
Yamaha RBX170 $299
Yamaha RBX270 $399

Amps:
Ashdown perfect ten combo $339 (30 watts)
Legend TCE40B combo $212 (40 watts)
Legend TEC80B combo $299 (80 watts)

please tell me what you think. im a bit worried about the quality of the amps, especially seeing as i can get an 80 watt amp for less than a 30 watt amp.
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin

The ESP would be your best choice even if you narrowed down your list. Squires are very garbage bass'. And i havnt experienced any yamahas but i would very seriously recomend the ESP
By God, will people STOP RECOMMENDING THEIR FAVOURITE BASS FROM THE LIST?

TS, this is going to be the best advice concerning which bass you should get. Try them all out, and choose the one you find most comfortable to play. You're going to be playing it, not anyone else on these here forums. When you ask "what bass should I get", you're only going to get extremely biased answers, based on that person's take on what a bass should feel/play like, and what reputation/hearsay they've heard about the others.

In short, try them yourself and come to your own conclusion.

An example:

Quote by Charlatan_001

I'm recommended Jazz basses as opposed to P basses, mainly because I feel that their necks are more comfortable to play, and they are more versatile in terms of tone.

They may be more comfortable for him, but not for you. Capisce?
^but it never hurts to get peoples opinion. Long time owners of an instrument will know alot more about it than someone can learn in a 30 minute try-out.
Quote by scarecr0w
^but it never hurts to get peoples opinion. Long time owners of an instrument will know alot more about it than someone can learn in a 30 minute try-out.

It's still very biased though. You should never, EVER buy a bass without trying it. How can someone else know how you like your necks?
^agreed. Although i find recommendations from UG'ers helpful, i find that when i go into the store, my mind sort of makes up faults in the instrument based on what a UG'er says.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It's still very biased though. You should never, EVER buy a bass without trying it. How can someone else know how you like your necks?

I was just saying that is what I FEEL, and therefore justifying why I recommended 2 Jazz basses. I never said he SHOULD buy them because of the way I feel about the necks.

I'm just trying to help him by giving him positive feedback on a type of bass that he mentioned; I'm giving the TS the benefit of the doubt that he IS going to go "Oh okay, so and so felt that this bass is good. I should try it" and go to a store and try it for themselves and decide whether or not they liked it.

I know that because of the fact he's showing things on MF that he may just order one without trying it, but we gotta have some trust that people are going to try things out.
I say a good starter and main bass to have is an OLP, especially the Spector models! My SB4 hasn't failed me yet in sound, tone , and general playability.
Epi LP Custom SILVERBURST

Quote by thefitz

Hold it like you hold a Crunchwrap Supreme.

Official Chiodos Fan of the Bass Militia
PM DinkyDaisy to Join
I'd pick the esp or the ibanez. both are good instruments. don't buy behringer for the amp.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
i know what you mean deliriumbassist, but the only problem with what your saying is that im new at bass, and havent the slightest clue in what i should be looking for.
so what should i be looking for? remember, complete bass newbie here.
So come on in
it ain't no sin
take off your skin

Quote by ICOG
i know what you mean deliriumbassist, but the only problem with what your saying is that im new at bass, and havent the slightest clue in what i should be looking for.

You shoulkd be looking for a bass that you feel comfortable playing with, both standing and sitting, with good fret access, a neck you like the feel off and a sound you like. Something that you think looks good won't go amiss either.
Quote by ICOG

Basically, something that you feel comfortable with delving into the murky and amusing depths of bass playing with .
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.