Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy myself an early Christmas present:
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/17414

But I need a practice amp that will last me for a very long time. I want a well built, good sounding unit for under £100 (approx $210). Have a look here if you need any sort of ideas as to what kind of music I play to - Dunno if that helps at all...

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to amps, so forgive my ignorance. Can someone shout out some makes and models and I'll go googling .

Thanks a lot
Quote by Pifko
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy myself an early Christmas present:
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/17414

But I need a practice amp that will last me for a very long time. I want a well built, good sounding unit for under £100 (approx $210). Have a look here if you need any sort of ideas as to what kind of music I play to - Dunno if that helps at all...

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to amps, so forgive my ignorance. Can someone shout out some makes and models and I'll go googling .

Thanks a lot

Get the little vox practice amp, its about 110 pound and im not sure the name of it, might be the AD15???

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/33749/a/r/e/base
That's a nice guitar, but for whatever reason I cannot seem to load up that page to listen to the music.

I'm going to say that, for £100, you're not really going to get something brilliant. If the music you play isn't anything heavy (metal, for example) then you could look at something like the Vox AD15VT. It's a modeller, and has plenty of built-in effects. Alternatively, if you just like things like blues and rock, you could get an Epiphone Valve Jr. combo. However, it's not the most versatile amp as it is, and you would need an overdrive unless you live in a low-population area, because cranking it will annoy someone.
ill say it before anyone else does.... Epiphone Valve Junior!! then get a bad monkey or something for xmas
Well, the Valve Jr. would be loud enough for jamming with friends and would sound louder than that Kustom that you have if you turned it up. What styles exactly do you play?
the VJ is probably the loudest you will get for the price; it takes pedals well so you can shape your sound with good pedals and it is probably the best quality.... the AD15VT is good though - i had an AD50VT and it was a very good amp...
Fender Champ 600, Epi Valve Junior, Laney LC15, Fender Pro Junior, Harley Benton GA-5

^All great little amps. If you want one 'that'll last you a very long time' it's not really gonna happen under £100, honestly. IF you can, it's worth saving the extra £100 and getting a Fender Pro Junior. It's simply an awesome little amp and will always have a use, no matter how much other gear you get in the future...

Otherwise I'd go for the ludicrously cheap Harley-Benton, since it's actually a rebranded Valve Junior (with added tone knob) and costs £40 less - enough that you could get yourself an OD pedal with the change!
Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'll probably plump for the Vox AD-15VT. I mean, I'd rather get a bigger amp to be honest. My mate has a vox already, so I cn go test it out on his before, just to make sure...

Does this look any good?
Nope. The Vox and Cube are both better amps than the Spider. I wouldn't advise you to get a Spider if it was the last amp left on Earth.
2 things.

1. Tube amps are proven to sound MUCH louder than solid state due to better use of the wattage. 5W tube = 15-30W SS.

2. Stay away from the spider. They're not necessarily awful amps, I have a 75W spider 3. Against other amps I've played, it sounds better than most SS amps at low volumes. Crank it past 1/4th max volume and your tone blows out your ass, completely gone. Nothing but distorted crap ushering through your speaker, only thing I can say to describe it is;

Painful rectal violation. Of the unpleasant form.

For the money, there's 10X better amps out there. If you want something like a spider, Roland Cube 30X. Way cheaper, sounds so much smoother. My spider got beat by a crate GTH1200X or whatever that crappy-ass head was. Volume, I had it beat hands down. Lost my tone about a 4th the way up my volume knob, his lousy-ass tone held through to at least 3/4ths the way.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by Ishiga
2 things.

1. Tube amps are proven to sound MUCH louder than solid state due to better use of the wattage. 5W tube = 15-30W SS.

It also depends on the tube type. 6L6 and EL34 tubes offer a much more tangible volume boost over solid state. EL84 tubes, on the other hand, offer almost no boost in volume. So a 5W EL84 amp will be about as loud at a <10 watt solid state. It'll just give you much more usable volume, since you can really crank a Valve Jr. or Champ.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
It also depends on the tube type. 6L6 and EL34 tubes offer a much more tangible volume boost over solid state. EL84 tubes, on the other hand, offer almost no boost in volume. So a 5W EL84 amp will be about as loud at a <10 watt solid state. It'll just give you much more usable volume, since you can really crank a Valve Jr. or Champ.

I'm no expert when it comes to tube types, I just read what the gear junkies post time after time.

Can't wait to get my epi valve jr though, I may be getting it today.

'S my birthday today.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by Pifko
Hmm, I don't think that Valve Junior looks like it meets my needs.

By practice amp, I mean a 20w (about) amp I can use both at home and with my mates if we have a jam together. I'm currently using this:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/kustom/kga10/index.html
It seems to cut out a lot, and I'd prefer a new amp to compliment the new guitar.
Even though its 5Watts its tube, so its a lot louder than your typical 15Watt Solid State.
Bah you're spending near £400 on a guitar and under £100 on an amp. Whats the point? You'd benefit much more tonally from a nice amp. Anyway, get a VJ, plenty loud, nice valve tone, then you could build up a pedal board and have more fun that way.