Page 1 of 3
Hello UG!

In few weeks me and a friend are off to New Jersey/York on a school trip, and Christmas shopping. We live in the UK. Does anyone know how much import tax you have to pay when taking stuff back on planes?

Also:

How much is the average iPod nano, and a fender jazz in america?

Muchas gratias,

Eilidh.
Last edited by Eilidh at Nov 7, 2007,
America's economy is ****ed so make use of this, ie - buy loads of good ****.

1 pound = 2.11 dollars, generally.
I think you may have to pay the EU value added tax, which is 17.5%.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I love the current exchange rates. Here in australia a KE2 is $4500 ish. If i order it from america i can get it for $2400 .

Shipping is like $200 dollars but its still a hell of a lot cheaper.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
Australia's dollar is doing quite well for once.

Yeah, id say that at the next RBA board meeting, if they hike interest rates up, then the dollar will probably get around 97 or 98 cents to the US dollar.
To the TS, spend as much as you can, everything is cheaper in the US.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by dann_blood
To the TS, spend as much as you can, everything is cheaper in the US.

lol, agreed. good luck in NY/NJ, i have no idea what those places are like...

ipod nano: $150 (USD) for 4GB, $200 (USD) for 8GB

fender jazzmaster: ~$1,500 (USD) [anyone feel free to correct me if im mistaken]
Why the fock would your school consider NJ as a good class trip? And I thought going to the Camden Aquarium in 4th grade was a bad idea
Sorry NJers, but I wouldn't go to NJ if the paid me. I'm content sitting my ass in California.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by first_aid
Why the fock would your school consider NJ as a good class trip? And I thought going to the Camden Aquarium in 4th grade was a bad idea

This reminds me of an episode of Futurama where Fry is looking for apartments:

Fry: OK, I give up. What's the catch?
Salesman: Oh. No catch. Although we are technically in New Jersey…
[Later, back at Planet Express]
Fry: Not even one place remotely livable.
We're going for an American Dream study XD.

I've been looking up 'declaring goods' at airports and that type of thing, but surely if you buy a load of clothes you can just pretend they were yours to begin with and bypass the tax?
Quote by Eilidh

Oh yeah, Jersey is the perfect place to find the American Dream.

Quote by Eilidh

I've been looking up 'declaring goods' at airports and that type of thing, but surely if you buy a load of clothes you can just pretend they were yours to begin with and bypass the tax?

I have never experienced any problems with bringing things back from America. It would just be a waste of time to check everything at airports and would cost loads to do. I can't see you buying anything that will give you problems. A guitar maybe because of the size and weight but I'd be more worried about the extra weight charge on the flight home.
Quote by SkyValley

The American dream is usually studied in terms of how much of a failure it is. Ever read mid-20th century American literature? It's devoted to it.
I think it's 30-40% for electronics that you bring from outside the EU. I *think*.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Do I still have to go through the red "I have items to declare!" part in the airport? It says on the Customs site that I do if I spend more than £145, which I'm pretty sure I will.
If you're going to be there in the week of the 18th to the 24th, make sure you get on in Black Friday.
Sent from my iPad.
If you buy an iPod nano and take it back as hand luggage who is going to know where you got it?
Unless you look (even slightly) arabic, you won't have any trouble, you can just say it's your stuff and that when you entered the country you didn't have to declare it.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Eilidh
Sorry, I'm going 28th November to the 5th. I miss thanksgiving .

What is black friday, anyhoo?

The biggest, baddest sale in America. It takes place on the weekend of Thanksgiving.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Take the guitar back in a case and tell them you lost your bookbag so you have to use a guitar case. And all your personals just happen to be in the shape of a guitar.

Flawless.
Real eyes realise real lies.
Quote by Guitar_Poet
lol, agreed. good luck in NY/NJ, i have no idea what those places are like...

ipod nano: $150 (USD) for 4GB, $200 (USD) for 8GB

fender jazzmaster: ~$1,500 (USD) [anyone feel free to correct me if im mistaken]

i'll correct you by saying i think TS meant a jazz bass lol
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
If they're bringing you to NJ, they're trying to brainwash you into thinking that America is one big nasty industrial wasteland. NJ is truly the armpit of America, and I would never choose to go there except for when I have to drive through it to get somewhere nice it. It's called the "Garden State" yet I don't think there's one garden in all of NJ.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by Mad Marius
Unless you look (even slightly) arabic, you won't have any trouble, you can just say it's your stuff and that when you entered the country you didn't have to declare it.

Wolfie, Moley, Witty, Dgmey, Grundy
Buy as much good coffee as you can. Something you don't got over the pond. Eat at atleast one privately owned NY pizza joint. Be extra careful not to get in the way of traffic. Nobody is polite over here - probably cause they missed out on this illusive dream you're studying.
We're only strays.
Last edited by Martyr's Prayer at Nov 7, 2007,
Well the Canadian dollar is at $1.09 today

But, you will have to pay duty if it is a new item and taxes probably.
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
Can easily just carry the ipod on you and I'll doubt they'll ask you to pay tax on it. Guitar might be trickier but I think if you just get a hardcase then you won't really get asked about it at all. If you do decide to declare goods at customs on the way back then you'd have to pay 17.5% VAT and another 3% import tax (I think).
I got my travellers cheque's for $2.09 to the pound, I think.

Anybody go to Ridgewood or Montgomery High school? We're going there, and somewhere else, I think it's Trenton High.
you could probably get away with not paying anything to import it. Just say it was yours. You could bring/buy a used case if your worried right?

i pod, just put it in your carry-on like you brought it from home
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Quote by SkyValley

isn't Six Flags Great Adventure (the one with Kingda Ka) there, if so, just go there, im insanely jealous, as it is my life long dream to go to that place
You need to pay import tax on anything you spend over the equivalent of £145.

...although usually you can get through without paying anything
All you people who're trashing Jersey better hope and pray that Cas doesn't see this.

Quote by Eilidh
I got my travellers cheque's for $2.09 to the pound, I think.

Anybody go to Ridgewood or Montgomery High school? We're going there, and somewhere else, I think it's Trenton High.

Ridgewood is about 30 minutes driving from me.... You just missed me .
Things here tend to be cheaper in value, but also in quality, so watch what you buy.

Also, stay with your class if you are going to that area.

Please don't judge all of America by the East coast alone, there are many different types of communities in America.

Also, keep a close eye out on how much Americans waste while your here. It should also help explain why things are so cheap here.
take an extra suitcase with you. fill it with paper-who cares. then after your shopping spree, fill it up with all your new ****e. as for a gee-tar... it was a gift from the family you were staying with during your studies here. shouldn't have to be taxed on something you didn't pay for...
Arsenal:

80's Gibson LP Studio
77' Ibanez Artist
Marshall JCM2000 DSL
Boss Metal Zone
MXR Phase Shifter
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Digitech Whammy
*wink. nudge*
Arsenal:

80's Gibson LP Studio
77' Ibanez Artist