Okay, i've got a circit that has a 6v power supply, a circuit that is basically a potential divider, with a 47kohm fixed resistor placed before a 100kohm rotary potentiometer, however as far as i was aware, a resistor of this type produces a fixed resistance when increased

However the voltage is varying, as that is what we are measuring, so is this a change in levels between voltage and current to produce the R? And is there an explanation for why the voltage levels throughout the turn of the spindle o nthe rotary pot isn't a straight line, but in fact a curve?
Is the pot in series with the fixed resistor, and are you measuring the voltage at the ends of the pot?
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Yes it's in series: 6v (power pack) -> fixed resistor -> rotary potentiometer -> 0v with a voltmeter placed across the rotary potentiometer

I had to put it in that set up so as to get a set of readings that had a middle sort of value, where as the lower resistances (such as 0 ohms, or 100/470 ohms) when used and with the measuring of the voltage across the pot gave a reading of basically 0.01 volt lower than max reading when it was half way through it's rotation and then jumped suddenly down - is there a specific cause for this, as i will have to explain it
Well the voltage of the pot would be something like:

Vpot = Vsource * Rpot / (Rpot + Rfixed)

So Vpot doesn't vary with Rpot linearly.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.