Hey all. I live in Australia and the basses here are quite expensive compared to the ones in the USA. Why is that so? It doesn't take an extra 300$ for shipping does it?
I look at basses on zzsounds and musicians friend, and the ones i like which are around 600AUD on the sites, are like 1000AUD here.
Amps too.
My friend, you need to go to www.billyhyde.com.au

I got a beaut new squier jbass for about $240 from there, and I'm getting a Korg AX3B soon as well.

Billy Hyde is waaaay cheaper than retail price!
its more expensive cos of import taxes, also warantees are harder to do cos its a smaller country with less population so it costs more etc...
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Quote by BFun
its more expensive cos of import taxes, also warantees are harder to do cos its a smaller country with less population so it costs more etc...

If the various bass making companies out there had factories here, it would be MUCH cheaper. Sadly, they don't. There are some Aussie companies that make guitars and basses, but they seem to be more high-end custom works...
It's also more expensive because companies like Fender and Gibson prevent foreign chains from exporting new gear. This means that Fender and Gibson can 'set' gear prices in Australia, which of course results in horrific price discrepancies. There is local import tax and shipping costs to take into account, but they certainly aren't why gear can cost up to like 3 times the US price over here. It's especially ridiculous considering that the AUD is buying almost 93 US cents. For more expensive gear it is actually cheaper to get a plane ticket to the US, buy the gear there, and ship it overseas yourself.

Also, some stores here seem to charge more because of their location. For example, Allans in Melbourne is sometimes more pricey than other stores are because it's in a very expensive location. More remote local stores are also sometimes like this. This can be remedied by haggling.

Just make sure you always ask for the best deal, ask to match prices, and ALWAYS look around for the best price.
Quote by King Krapp
My friend, you need to go to www.billyhyde.com.au

Billy Hyde is waaaay cheaper than retail price!

NO!!! Its not always cheaper! I have here the latest copy of the Adelaide Allans and Billy Hyde catalog.. Take for instance a Std American P-Bass.. At Billy Hyde it says it is $2249, at Allans $2149!! haha.. but the only difference is that at Billy Hyde you could probably get it lower than at Allans if you haggle!!

But yeah i get annoyed at the high prices here, its so annoying when you end up paying $100 more just because you live in Australia. But it does depend where you are! in Tasmania (can't remember the name of the store) they were selling basses for about $200 more than in Adelaide..

Just look around and haggle! Eventually you get a competitive price!