I was just wondering if other people pick with their finger instead of a pick??? (i usually just grow the one nail on my index finger and use that instead)

I've noticed i get great pinch harmonics with it, and sometimes a better sound... better than from i used to with a pick......

What do others think?
Any other guitarists (famous ones even) that find it better??? Or do you think i should stick to using picks?

im just curious.....thanks
I use it sometimes.

You certainly get different dynamics out of using your index finger nail. And as you say, you can get good pinches with it, as well as punchy, popping kinds of hammer ons, etc.

Useful, but playing with a pick is alround better.
it's used mostly for acoustic/classical. could work for guitar if it feels confortable for u, but definitely will not work if ur gonna be playing fast stuff, (fast) solos/leads, and like...heavier music.
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
mark knopfler (dire straits) picks with his fingers.
so does lindsey buckingham (fleetwood mac).
i think it sounds top but i think its harder, i dont use just my index finger when i do though?
i use my thumb, index and middle finger.
of if i'm strumming i use my finger as if i was holding a pick with my finger tips and hit the strings with my index nail
By the way i play rock music, heavy metal occasionally... generaly rock though, and lead parts.....

I've found i can pick faster with my nail!?
Maybe it's just different with different people, or what your used to...
I like to do acoustic style finger picking on my electric. Also, using your fingers is prefered for slide guitar, which I play a lot of.
i play with my fingers too. i find u can get alot of different sounds but ya i can pick faster with a pick but not by much at all. thats because i started out playing classical flamenco music so im used to playing with my fingers
dude
go look at yngwie batio or something fast
you could play faster with ur finger
thats you
but you will reach a limit of speed
and tht limit can only been overpassed by using a pick

gud luk naywayz
cheers
Do only use your index finger? Because that would kinda stupid. If you're gonna use finger picking you should take full advantage of the possibilities that technique has to offer.
Guys, he is not talking about fingerpicking per se.

He is talking about using his index finger nail as a plectrum. It's quite simple, and does produce some strong harmonics and completely different dynamics.
Jeff Beck switched to finger picking a while back too, along with the ones already mentioned. Buddy Guy finger picks a lot too. Watching John Mayer on a couple of live PBS shows I see he finger picks a lot too, probably using a pick 3/4 of the time or more but he's really good at finger picking too.

I've been finger picking a lot more the past few years, have always done it occasionally. I use thumb, index and middle fingers. Whoever said you can't pick fast stuff either hasn't tried it or hasn't practiced it enough. Anything I can do with a pick I can just about match without one. If I drop a pick onstage, which happens quite often, I just keep going without it. The only time it makes a big difference is it doesn't get quite the same volume when playing clean. At home for practice, I only use a pick about 10% of the time. Playing slide I almost always finger pick, that lets me use the same fingers to muffle strings to keep individual notes clean instead of having a note I don't want still ringing.

I try to keep fingernails out of the way, when one hangs a string it's uncomfortable, and the tip of the right middle finger was cut off about 1/4" around 25 years ago due to an ingrown wart, it's still a bit sensitive so I keep it short enough it won't hang a string, when it does it hurts...picking with it is no problem but when that fingernail hangs a string it's not much fun...and since it's a slightly different length it happens now and then and makes accuracy different. I still find myself just barely hitting the string occasionally as if that bit of fingertip were still there.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
If you like playing with your fingernail, you should do that really. Develop your own style.

Altough you may find that you're grinding down your fingernail quicker than it grows back
You'll have to use fake fingernails
i play a mixture, i dont always use my pick, just depends on what am playin, since its mainly metal i play i tend to use a pick
There's no point fearing death, as it is inevitably going to happen

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
Quote by superfaligous
dude
go look at yngwie batio or something fast
you could play faster with ur finger
thats you
but you will reach a limit of speed
and tht limit can only been overpassed by using a pick

gud luk naywayz
cheers

Haven't you heard some playing of Paco de Lucia? Or any other flamenco guitarist for that matter?

About the thread, fingerpicking and flatpicking are 2 differents techniques and they have pros and cons if compared to each other. So my advice is to learn both.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Last edited by El Cumanés at Nov 7, 2007,
Quote by El Cumanés
Haven't you heard some playing of Paco de Lucia? Or any other flamenco guitarist for that matter?

They're very fast, but not as fast as the best pickers out there. Altough that does depend on what they're playing. Fingerpickers will probably skip strings without breaking a sweat where a picker would fall flat on his face. Except for Shawn Lane.
Quote by Kanthras
They're very fast, but not as fast as the best pickers out there. Altough that does depend on what they're playing. Fingerpickers will probably skip strings without breaking a sweat where a picker would fall flat on his face. Except for Shawn Lane.

And Paul Gilbert