Ok, I didn't know where this should go so thats why its here.

My cousin has bad luck with his guitar. He recently broke all the strings in anger, and now he wants to play when he can't. He doesn't know the thickness of the strings he needs, and neither do I.
But if I can measure the holes in the tuning pegs, can I just go out and get strings, or should I forfeit my abilities and allow a shop to restring it.
thanks everybody.
Goes in Electric Guitar, obviously.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
The holes in the tuning pegs do not need to be measured... they will accept any reasonable string gauge.

If you don't know anything at all about what you are doing, take it to a shop and have them do it but make them show you what they are doing.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by wizards?
you could just buy whatever you want and adjust the truss rod accordingly to how you want the action to relate to the fretboard
[/thread]

No offense to threadstarter, but to this dude, If he thinks he needs to measure the size of the hole in the tuners to find out what string guage he needs, do you really think you're going to help by telling him to adjust the trussrod?

TS, go out, by some GHS 9's, then restring.

edit:

Also, you do not change your action by adjusting the truss rod!!! Why does everyone think this?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
ok, so as long as the strings are a reasonable gauge i should be ok? yeah, i normally keep the package that my strings come in, in case i forget the guage, but this is my cousin, and for cripes sake, he doesn't know left from right and he's 23.
hamish, it doesn't matter about the size of the holes in the tuners, they accept anything really. I'm just saying if he gets thick strings that he might have to play with the truss rod to get them to feel good on the fretboard. other than that, I really could care less about another question that belongs in A DIFFERENT FORUM!!!!!

I'm having a bad day, can you tell?
Heh, reminds me of the first time I broke a string. I thought I had to hang onto the ball at the end and tie it to the end of the new string.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Yeah, you definitely need to measure the holes of the tuning pegs....
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
I would just have somebody do it at a shop and watch them if you can so you know how to do it next time.
Get D'addarios 009's, and ask the shop to restring it
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

They are almost certainly going to be 9`s.
Go to the shop, and ask them for gauge 9 strings.

Google "Re-Stringing Electric Guitar", and follow the instructions.
Quote by FRDesign
Just go with 9's or 10's.

simple, easy answer. if it's stock strings or whatever, use 9's.
if you want some more beefiness, do 10's.

either way, take it to a shop. have them show you how to do it.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables