After reading about the discovery of the new planet thread i decided to go on wikipedia and look at the apollo 11 mission out of general interest. It got me wondering about the moon landing and how people cannot believe it didn't happen.

Did the government just get bored one day and go "Awk for the laugh we will pretend we went to the moon to **** with peoples heads "

I don't think so.

So whats your thoughts on it? Do you believe it or not. If you don't i would be intrigued to hear your reasons

EDIT: would have added poll but i don't have option now
Last edited by str84ever at Nov 7, 2007,
They did it for the lulz?
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
I wouldn't be surprised if it was fake, as at the time, America had to show they were better than the Russians. However, I do believe it was real.

Last edited by Your Mother : Today at 03:44 PM
Sorry to go all history on you, but it was a major factor in the Cold War at the time.

Personally I dont believe it, for the simple fact that they have never been able to go back, technology has increased drastically yet they cant do something they claimed they did decades ago? Nah, bunch of lying scum
Diezel, Motherfucker
Quote by mh400nt
Sorry to go all history on you, but it was a major factor in the Cold War at the time.

Personally I dont believe it, for the simple fact that they have never been able to go back, technology has increased drastically yet they cant do something they claimed they did decades ago? Nah, bunch of lying scum

Do you believe in like. satellites and stuff?
Quote by mh400nt

I agree with this guy. If they did it once forty odd years ago, they should be able to do it all the time nowadays.
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by johnny_tapia
I agree with this guy. If they did it once forty odd years ago, they should be able to do it all the time nowadays.

My question is..

Why would they want to go back to the moon?

There is nothing on it.
Quote by johnny_tapia

They could easily. They've got the space station, Hubble telescope, and so on. It's just that there's not much point in going to the moon again. It's quite dusty, kinda rocky and that's it.

If we need to find out anything about the moon again we can just use a satellite or a probe to find out.
Quote by str84ever
My question is..

Why would they want to go back to the moon?

There is nothing on it.

But surely they could still learn something from going up there again.
Quote by atomkat
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by mh400nt

What's the point in going back? There is nothing there. They aren't going to spend billions of dollars trying to prove that they went to conspiracy theorists.
If you look at the pictures of the landing there are cross hairs in them that are part of the camera and when a print is made from the film the cross hairs show up in frt of the image but on the moon landing ones there are some where the crosshairs are half hidden by the astronauts helmet and different equipment which would lead me to believe they were doctored plus the flag waving in the wind which does not exist on the moon. And why have they not gone back ?
YA GOTTA HIT IT ON THE ONE
pics of gear updated on profile 11/16/09
id never thought about it really but upon thinking about it now i think its crap

as my homie with the Eggman avvy pointed out, it was quite some time ago
.........do it agiain, this time for keeps
Quote by WickedBeast666
Noooooooooooo how could this be! he at all the chocolate in the box
Oh well, now the empty shell of what used to be chocolaty goodness can contain a tasty guitar circuit.

speaking of my homemade pedal
Quote by johnny_tapia
But surely they could still learn something from going up there again.

What? That it's still quite dusty? There's absolutely no point in moon landings. There wasn't really any point in the first ones. A moon landing costs billions and there's no point. WHy would any government waste that much money?
There is no need to go back to the moon. It was a landmark in history.

For every "claim" these conspiracy/nonsense believers make, it can be scientifically explained/disproven.

EDIT: The Flag "waving" on the moon is false. They folded the flag on earth, placed it on the shuttle. As the moon as no substantial air/wind/atmosphere, when they took out the flag on the moon, it could not "un-crinkle" perfectly. Therefore the appearance of it "waving" when it was in fact dead still, but crinkled and wavered.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Last edited by Eternal_One at Nov 7, 2007,
Quote by jackfromcs
What's the point in going back? There is nothing there. They aren't going to spend billions of dollars trying to prove that they went to conspiracy theorists.

precisely.
Quote by johnny_tapia

Can you even fathom how much the moon landings cost?

It's not like going into town, or even going on holiday.

It is by nature an extremely risky, and generally considered pointless exercise.

What does to moon have for us? What does going to the moon now proove other than we can do it? Bugger all.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
plus the flag waving in the wind which does not exist on the moon. And why have they not gone back ?

They had springs on the flag for it to stay upright, and there is nothing worth risking lives to do on the moon. They did it the first time to prove to the Russians that their space program was better. You guys make it sound like they made it in one go, there were alot of failed attempts.
Quote by SmarterChild
What? That it's still quite dusty? There's absolutely no point in moon landings. There wasn't really any point in the first ones. A moon landing costs billions and there's no point. WHy would any government waste that much money?

Ok calm down

I know nothing about this topic..........
Quote by atomkat
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by johnny_tapia

Quote by mh400nt

They can do it today. There's just a lot more precaution in doing so, and it would cost too much money just to sit on a rock. For instance, they now better understand the effects of radiation in the Van Allen belt and know that if they send a team to the moon, it could cause medical problems like cancer later on in life. Also, I strongly believe that we went to the moon in 1969 and that Neil armstrong took the first step on the dust surface. I mean, just look at the NTRS photos of the moon. Looks pretty real to me.
If you can play music with enthusiasm and an honest effort, then no matter how flawed, noisy and unclean the music is, you are a musician. If you play just to be the best, you are not a musician, nor are you worthy of any musician's recognition. - me
I don't think we made it. How did they acquire enough speed to re-enter the atmosphere. Also, the pressures of being the first to the moon were stacked. Also, there is no evidence through a telescope that they actually landed on the moon (no leftover equipment that they claim to have left behind). The pictures are pretty bad too.

On the other hand, they might have...Who cares... It makes no difference when God's favorite quote is "You'll never get out of here alive."
The European Space Agency hopes to land humans on Mars between 2030 and 2035.[73] This will be preceded by successively larger probes, starting with the launch of the ExoMars probe and a Mars Sample Return Mission.

On September 28, 2007, NASA administrator Michael Griffin stated that NASA aims to put a man on Mars by 2037: in 2057, "we should be celebrating 20 years of man on Mars." [74]

interesting
If it was fake, the russians would have tried to prove it during the cold war.
Gear: Framus Cobra - Homemade Warmoth guitar - Ibanez S470 - Alvarez acoustic
Quote by GOLDIE93
If you look at the pictures of the landing there are cross hairs in them that are part of the camera and when a print is made from the film the cross hairs show up in frt of the image but on the moon landing ones there are some where the crosshairs are half hidden by the astronauts helmet and different equipment which would lead me to believe they were doctored plus the flag waving in the wind which does not exist on the moon. And why have they not gone back ?

First of all, if you knew anything about the deterioration of film, it'd be clear to you why the crosshairs seem to be chopped off where they overlap with areas with different exposure.

Secondly, no- there was no footage where the flag was waving about. There was, as stated, the spring steel flagpole flapping around, and the flag unfolding. When you grab a spring steel pole with fabric attached to it and move it around, the piece of fabric will not stay 100% static in relation to it, unless it's fossilized or soaked through with crazy glue, no matter if you're in the vaccuum of space or not.

The thing is- every bit of "evidence" that they didn't go there can be debunked by anybody who knows what the brain is for.
The reason the flag is waving is that it kept falling over.

The top 3 inches or so of the moon are very dusty, and underneath that is pretty much solid, impenetrable ground. They tried a bunch of times to get the picture, but the flag kept falling over.

The reason it's waving is because there's no air/atmosphere to stop it after being set upright a million times. The flag actually fell over again once Apollo 11 took off back towards Earth.

All according to my ASTR 263 professor.
AT PURDUE!!! ( I think i'm the only one at Purdue that is on the forums....)

Awesome bands YOU! need to check out: Pain of Salvation, Vision Divine, Angra, Ayreon
OK, here is the mother of all proofs that the landings did take place.

The apollo space missions occurred during the cold war, right? A time of great tension between the soviet east and the west. They competed in every field, from who had the more nukes to ice hockey. The USSR would have been watching every moment of the apollo landings to make sure they were legit. They would have screamed bloody murder if anything looked fishy. So UG, I ask you, where do you hide a rocket, that got launched from earth, from people who are watching its every move?

The simple answer is, you can't, it must have been real.
Ya it was real. Ask Buzz Aldrin. He likes to hit people that ask him about it.
And why don't we go back? Too fucking expensive.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
The European Space Agency hopes to land humans on Mars between 2030 and 2035.[73] This will be preceded by successively larger probes, starting with the launch of the ExoMars probe and a Mars Sample Return Mission.

On September 28, 2007, NASA administrator Michael Griffin stated that NASA aims to put a man on Mars by 2037: in 2057, "we should be celebrating 20 years of man on Mars." [74]

really? i would never have guessed we'd celebrate 20 twenty years of man on mars 20 years after it happened......

anyway, unless they do something big, space travel is just a waste of tax payers money. there's bugger all on the moon, yet we're still going? the fuel is uber expensive as well as being non-renewable, not to mention the materials and time it takes to put the rocket together.

there was a probe sent to Mars not so long ago and it lasted 30 minutes (i think) on Mars' surface before it was destroyed by the atmosphere. that cost tax payers money and there's nothing to show for it.

oh, and i do believe they landed on the moon. although Buzz Aldrin said the first words on the moon, not Neil Armstrong.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Quote by Jackal58
Ask Buzz Aldrin. He likes to hit people that ask him about it.

If it was true, then he wouldn't need to be so defensive....

Nah, it probably happened, but he doesn't sound very nice.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
It happened, get over it.

And they did go back.

And wtf new planet are you talking about

EDIT: You can add a poll by clicking "Add a poll" near the bottom of the page. Ctrl + F to find it
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Last edited by FrenchyFungus at Nov 7, 2007,
We haven't been able to go back.

Ha.

That argument makes me laugh. It's sheer idiocy. Of course we could go back. Just why the **** would we want to? It's a lifeless, dusty black rock.

Besides, haven't there actually been numerous missions up there since?
America has put men on the Moon six times, between 1969 and 1972.

24 men have been to the moon, 12 of them walked on it, some even played golf on it.

It. Happened.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...