Hey all,

ive been playing guitar for a while, but i haven't been doing too much string skipping etc, so my right hand is kind of weak in precision and coordination. I will start doing exercises to better it, but my question is: is it wrong to look at the strings (at the right hand) whille playing? Or will this form a bad habit?
Usually, my right hand comes naturally when playing and never misses, so i dont even have to think about it, but im trying to expand my abilities!
Thanks all!
When one truly knows oneself, one understands that one is divine, but also one understands that one is mortal. In such a way, you recognize that this mortality is really meaningless, as physical existence is meaningless.
It would be a bad habit, although its not too bad to have to look if your learning new stuff.

If its songs you know already, you shouldn't have to look at either hand usually.
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
No, it shouldn't form into a bad habit. If anything, trying to learn new picking techniques without looking is just asking for sloppiness. Once you've got the technique down, you won't need to look, and will probably start looking away without realizing it.
ok, thanks guys! Im learning as new song, and i want it down perfect, so i end up looking at my hand.
When one truly knows oneself, one understands that one is divine, but also one understands that one is mortal. In such a way, you recognize that this mortality is really meaningless, as physical existence is meaningless.
Quote by edg
Why would you deny yourself a perfectly good tool for determining if something
is going wrong or not -- namely your eyes?

Not having to look will follow when you can put more trust in what your hands are
doing.

+10000

just watch videos of famous guitarists on youtube. they still look at their guitars sometimes when they play.
Well, sometimes it can be a hard one to break i.e. you'll always revert to looking at your picking hand while playing.

But yeah, it's not really a bad habit.