i have a Jackson js30 DKT hardtail, have had for about a year and i just cant get a good pinch harmonic sound out of it, i can pinch harmonic fine, i'm not too good at the technical side of guitaring but i was just wondering if i need new pickups? ( i have normal ones they look like EMGs but say Jackson on them) and when i tab its really quiet (i hit hard and perfectly) and i may be getting a dean from hell (apparantly amazing for haromics)
its more likely to be your amp and pedal.
and the dean from hell is amazing for pretty much everything.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
They're probably bad pickups, but a dean from hells not going to make it any better
Check that your pickups are a suitable distance away from the strings, and also play with the amp

EDIT: The D-f-H just seems a bit over priced, mostly due to it being Dimebag related, for something thats around £800 i would expect an original FR

EDIT AGAIN: Listening to your MP3's the pinching and tapping sounds fine, just check pickup height and then it's your amp you'll need to focus on
Last edited by philipisabeast at Nov 7, 2007,
I'm using a digitech death metal pedal (its really good distortion but creates so much buzz) and a fender champion 300 amp, oh and btw i'm from the uk but i can get the dean from hell imported from america on ebay for around £500 overall so not too pricey and i'm aware it hasnt got a original floyd but it does the job
A lot of it is your technique. I could get good harmonics on my Squier with its stock pickups, it was just harder. The reason its easier on say a Dean From Hell is the MLs use a Gibson scale, giving you less tension on the strings. However, the pickups in your JS Jackson are nothing to write home about. If you like it, I would advise a Jackson DK2T. Much higher quality, better woods, neck binding, duncan pickups, much better hardware, etc. And they are just cheap passives in your JS, using a black cover like Jackson did YEARS ago back in hte early 80s up until around 1994/95.
Quote by CJRocker
A lot of it is your technique. I could get good harmonics on my Squier with its stock pickups, it was just harder. The reason its easier on say a Dean From Hell is the MLs use a Gibson scale, giving you less tension on the strings. However, the pickups in your JS Jackson are nothing to write home about. If you like it, I would advise a Jackson DK2T. Much higher quality, better woods, neck binding, duncan pickups, much better hardware, etc. And they are just cheap passives in your JS, using a black cover like Jackson did YEARS ago back in hte early 80s up until around 1994/95.

cool thanks, btw my guiars intonation isnt great either, it was awful a few months ago so i got it fixed and its going out badly again
^^ It won't be £500, as shipping is expensive, and you have to pay import tax from the states which can be a fair whack

But it's your amp/distortion pedal thats not getting the right sound, and if you're not happy with that then new amp time, or the guitar just doesnt have the right sort of wood to sound good to you
But your MP3's make the pinches sound fine
i'd say technique. my friend thought he could do a pinch but really he wasnt doing anything beyond normal picking, maybe yours arent 100% correct and so they dont sound as great. Try a new amp at a shop and see if it works, but i mean I can do it on an acoustic, or a £50 guitar through a fender frontman, so I dont know.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
i'd say technique. my friend thought he could do a pinch but really he wasnt doing anything beyond normal picking, maybe yours arent 100% correct and so they dont sound as great. Try a new amp at a shop and see if it works, but i mean I can do it on an acoustic, or a £50 guitar through a fender frontman, so I dont know.

hmm ok thanks