Hello All

we all know the subgenres of rock, but what are the subdivisions of rap music? What's the heaviest form of rap? Is there such a thing as, say, progressive rap?

What about the same for electro?

I know this is a bit ironic coming from a member of the "forget the subgenres" club, but I was just interested.

DON'T DISCRIMINATE, just explain.

Thank you, sirs, madams and Kensai
theres Gangsta Rap, West Coast Rap, East Coast Rap, Hyphy Rap, Thizz Rap, Crunk Rap, Dirty South Rap. thats all i can think of right now. oh and there isnt progressive rap but Guru made a few CDs of something that could be called Jazz-Rap... mixing of jazz with rap. Look for Jazzmatazz. its pretty cool actually.

got nothing on electro... don't like that stuff.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

the sub-genres of rap are things like gangster rap, Southern, ATL, East/West coast, things like that.
theres Grime, which just evolved out of the UK garage scene
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
rap tends to disambiguate itslelf based on geography. what i've i've noticed anyway. also, the amount of bling and entourage in a video will provide some insight as to where the artists is from, thus giving away the sub-genre.
Arsenal:

80's Gibson LP Studio
77' Ibanez Artist
Marshall JCM2000 DSL
Boss Metal Zone
MXR Phase Shifter
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Digitech Whammy
Well there's your black rap (obvious), death rap, thrash rap, gothic rap, power rap, traditional rap, melodic rap, and then all the combinations.

I mean really, it just goes on and on. To me rap is just rap. I'm not too picky about what specific genre of blackened-neo-melodic-power-death rap my favourite blackened-neo-melodic-power-death rap is.

It's allll good.
Quote by armon77
grime is horrible i hate it so much

+1

At least if I'm too judge from what I've heard so far - Lady Sovereign