Ok so i need a bit of help, i know the pit isn't the greatest place to go but im out of options.

I have to write an essay on the book 'Of mice and men' (John Steinbeck) on

How far and in what ways is the last section of the novel a fitting climax to
‘Of mice and Men’

I'm really struggling for some rough starting points and any help is realy apreciated. I just need a few things to get me on the right chain of thought

Cheers UG (presuming i may have some helpfull answers)
You're So Scene Right Now ^_^

Quote by Kensai
Finally his girlfriend found out what it was like giving oral sex to fishsmelling genital organs.
I shall leave you a comment with a helpful link, as I don't know if it's legal in the forums..
I'm doing that right now, in year 11.

Lol coincidence...

What parts you stuck on or w/e?
Oh I did this one last year. He shoots the retard in the back of the head at the end, right?
Quote by 12Jim34
Oh I did this one last year. He shoots the retard in the back of the head at the end, right?

ye that one

Well im stuck on the fact that i don't reeli think its a particularly fitting ending so i can't pick out points which support the title

Quote by Kensai
Finally his girlfriend found out what it was like giving oral sex to fishsmelling genital organs.
That's got to be GCSE?

If you're stuck on the why it ISN't a good ending, explore the pessimism of the ending compared to the optimism established throughout the book, why Steinbeck chose to end it like that and how it effects the reader.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

The fact that he get's shot is a subversion of what you expect. Have a look that that. Surprise value etc, look at the readers emotional attachments.

After all of the above I'd say, at first glance these tarnish the ending, but in fact they challenge the readers.......etc etc.
Last edited by ClaptonWannabe at Nov 7, 2007,
"Look across the lake, Lennie..."

"Durr..."

BANG

+!p3: Not a fitting ending? Its a genius ending. While it was true Lennie needed George to support him, the same was true for George; without Lennie, George would have no ambitions or dreams.

There was no way Lennie would be able to surve in society then; no way he could get the help he needed. Short of Lennie's own suggestion of going off and living in the mountains, what george did was the only other plausible option. With the death of Lennie, George's hopes and dreams died, as well, and he settled for what he had fooled himself he wanted all along: to live a normal working life.

A sad ending, but very fitting.
Last edited by umop-3p!sdn at Nov 7, 2007,
lol, remember doing this 3 years ago...

Its something about the fact that George is finally free and Lenny does (in some way) get to the farm with the rabbits etc. Yea, as I said its been 3 or 4 years since I read it.
damn, i hated that book

- the book ends in the exact same spot where it began (pretty much) - supposed to represent the circle of life or some sh*te like that. lennie got what was coming to him.
- lennies behaviour with the mouse at the start, and the story of the "rape" in weed, forewarns what will happen to curleys wife
- curley was more interested in wanting to kill lennie, than the fact that his wife was dead - he seen her more as a possesion than a wife (hence she is not called by her real name)
- it is only after lennie is dead that george realises that he needed him to survive. the death of lenie represents the death of his dream, and the start of a new life without him

hope that stuff helps
Quote by budgie182
damn, i hated that book

- the book ends in the exact same spot where it began (pretty much) - supposed to represent the circle of life or some sh*te like that. lennie got what was coming to him.
- lennies behaviour with the mouse at the start, and the story of the "rape" in weed, forewarns what will happen to curleys wife
- curley was more interested in wanting to kill lennie, than the fact that his wife was dead - he seen her more as a possesion than a wife (hence she is not called by her real name)
- it is only after lennie is dead that george realises that he needed him to survive. the death of lenie represents the death of his dream, and the start of a new life without him

hope that stuff helps

cheers, his is jus wat i needed 2 get my brain whurring

Quote by Kensai
Well it's kinda the irony of the guy who was supposed to be looking after him who then shoots him in the head.
Quote by mfkr
Well it's kinda the irony of the guy who was supposed to be looking after him who then shoots him in the head.

I suppose in laymans terms, thats about right, but theres just so much more depth to it than that.
Quote by umop-3p!sdn
I suppose in laymans terms, thats about right, but theres just so much more depth to it than that.

I agree lol, but im not writing the essay here
Quote by mfkr
I agree lol, but im not writing the essay here

Touché

Quote by Kensai