I've been considering a new buy and have been setting aside some funds for hopefully a Gibson Les Paul. For a few months, my eyes were fixed on the Standard model, but then recently it came to a surprise they released an eye candy - the Classic Antique.
The price on the latest addition to the Gibson Les Paul line up seem to drop by the minute. Just weeks ago I found it in the high street for roughly the same price as a Standard and now it's under 1000 in many places.
I'm wondering if demand is not high enough or if there is a generic problem in this model. Hopefully it's not the latter.
On the outlook, the Gibson Classic Antique doesn't seem that afar from the Standard, apart from some cosmetic adjustments.
The binding and the crown on the headstock would have caused a mixed reaction - I certainly had doubts initially - but it started to grow on me and now I actually believe it adds a class quality. But ofcourse, it's a matter of opinion.
The finishes for the AA maple cap is rather splendid does bring the down-to-earth Classic Les Pauls to the upper market.
I'm seriously considering this buy.

My main slight concern though is definitely the pickup selection. I've never had any experience with the '57 Classic before and you could say that I am a firm BurstBucker fan. BurstBuckers won me over simply because of it's impressive versatility and a great balance of sound. I wonder if the '57s can do same.
I'd like to hear opinions on the guitar and the pickups and provide any advice on how it sounds.
Thanks in advance.
where are you in the world? is that $1000 or £1000, or euros?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
get an edwards instead. you can import one into the UK for about half what the gibson is going for (including customs and postage), and if you ask me the edwards is nicer. only difference is it's a flamed maple veneer over plain maple on the edwards- shouldn't affect the tone adversely, but it is a slightly cheaper way to get a similar effect. Some say plain maple sounds better than flamed, too.

I know my edwards is nicer than the gibson classic antique i tried- don't get me wrong, the gibson wasn't a bad guitar, but the rosewood was quite dry, and when you can get an edwards, which doesn't have dry rosewood, for £500...

or if you do want to spend £1000, there are some badass MIJ tokai relics going around for about that much- far superior to the classic antique, if you ask me.

FWIW, i thought the classic 57's were quite nice...

what amp are you playing through as well?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I no longer have a gigging amp so I'm having to settle for a practise amp for my needs - not great but its hastily adequate for the time being. Atleast when I'm performing I have an option to use Marshalls or the splendid Fender Deluxe Reverb which I absolutely adore and will hopefully make a buy also in the near future.
should be alright, then- it's really up to you. i'd go with an edwards (and did), but that's just me.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Hemani Co
It's in UK Pounds. The cheapest I've seen currently is 999.

Yes ive sen that advertised on GAK (brighton based guitar and keyboard)
and also in guitar magazines.

I was thinking of getting one as well, but im not sure its going to be the best bargain, because its going to the very lowest quality and end USA gibson they make. Some Nuts on here say Epiphone are just as good or better quality than some USA built Gibson, so im not sure. I think im going to save a few hundred more and also look around a lot and play lots to know which one i want first.
eh, it's nicer than a non-MIJ epiphone if you ask me. Just you aren't restricted to gibson/epi if you want a les paul, you know? if you want quality with value, as long as you aren't averse to shipping from Japan, Edwards are hard to beat... Duncans, one-piece mahogany back and neck, plain maple top with figured veneer on top (lots of cheaper copies only have a veneer)...

I wouldn't say it's the lowest gibson either... but it's certainly not the highest.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by DieKrupps

I was thinking of getting one as well, but im not sure its going to be the best bargain, because its going to the very lowest quality and end USA gibson they make
It really, really isn't. It's nothing special, but it's about to the same standards as a Gibson LP Standard.
Quote by bokuho
It really, really isn't. It's nothing special, but it's about to the same standards as a Gibson LP Standard.

i disagree. why are gibson selling a les paul for £999 in shops ?...are they starting to dip down on quality and materials ? te Gibson logo could sell anything these days.
Quote by bokuho

agreed.

Quote by DieKrupps
i disagree. why are gibson selling a les paul for £999 in shops ?...are they starting to dip down on quality and materials ? te Gibson logo could sell anything these days.

look how much they go for in the states... you're committing the fallacy, "if something's expensive, it must be good!"
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm just hoping comes London Guitar Show 2008 and I could sit and play it and give it a good look over.
Other guitars I am looking into are the Gibson Standard LP, ESP Eclipse-I CTM, and PRS SC 245/50. Since I lean more towards blues and jazz, I'm having doubts about the ESP, but the pricing on that seems to tasty to ignore.

Pricing on the Classic Antique does puzzle me somewhat. I wonder what market audience this guitar is aimed at. The funny thing is, the price varies significantly depending on the colour options. For some reason, established stores, such as GAK, add a huge premium for Honey Burst and Wine Red, equal to the Standard. Puzzles me. Mind you this is not the case in the US.
Quality-wise it just seems to be another Les Paul mass produced in the Gibson factory. I'm sure attention to detail won't be any 'lesser' than the Standard, but I'm not giving any kudos on it because of Gibson's appauling reputation these days.
if you get the esp with duncans it should do blues and jazz ok... prs is probably worth a look too, but could be twice as expensive... or you could just get something custom-made...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm with Dave tbh. The Japanese models (Edwards/Tokai/Burny/Orville) are at least the guitar that Gibson is at half the cost.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Go Edwards.

Mind you, they are noticeably harder to get now, but still, try to. You'll be much more pleased with yourself. And by the way, pickups don't matter, if you do get the Gibson and you don't like the 57 classics, you can just go and buy new pickups for it.
^ agreed, if you have everything right down to the pickups and electronics, you're laughing.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The new Dean Soltero looks good enough to eat. Pricing is way off though.
The search continues.
I have time, so I won't rush my next investment.