Due to popular demand.

The term ancient Greece refers to the periods of Greek history in Classical Antiquity, lasting ca. 750 BC (the archaic period) to 146 BC (the Roman conquest). It is generally considered to be the seminal culture which provided the foundation of Western Civilization. Greek culture had a powerful influence on the Roman Empire, which carried a version of it to many parts of Europe. The civilization of the ancient Greeks has been immensely influential on the language, politics, educational systems, philosophy, science, and arts, giving rise to the Renaissance in Western Europe and again resurgent during various neo-Classical revivals in 18th and 19th century Europe and the Americas.

Discuss.
Contrary to popular opinion I was not there. I was in Greece during the '80s
Their architecture fascinates me.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I'm actually taking an Ancient Civilizations class this semester, it's very interesting. It has basically turned into an Ancient Greece and Rome class, but hey, that's what I was most interested in anyways.

What exactly did you want us to discuss?

Well fun fact: Pythagorus the man who created the pythagorean theorem also figured out a mathematical equation for modes.
Also when the soldiers would go to war they would listen to the phrygian mode because they thought it made them stronger.
Good f*ckin man!

Socrates FTW. And if anyone disagrees, I'll use the Socratic Method on you, bitchz.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Quote by rojomeansred
The only thing you know child...is that you know nothing.

But if I know this I cannot know nothing. Therefore I know something.

Socrates FOR. THE. WIN.

Hunter S. Thompson also for the win, but further down the list.

yeah, greeks are awesome for maths also.

they proved that irrational numbers exist and thought that the theorem, and the consequent proof, was too dangerous to be released into the outside world.

true story.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Also when their parents knew they wouldn't have enough to pay for their daughters dowry later in life, they would often abandon them at birth in clay pots. Sometimes in towns if they wanted them to be found, then someone would usually raise them into slavery or prostitution, or they would abandon them in the wild....if they survived it was the will of the gods...if they got their eyes pecked out and flesh ripped from them by birds, it was the will of the gods.
Quote by rojomeansred
Also when their parents knew they wouldn't have enough to pay for their daughters dowry later in life, they would often abandon them at birth in clay pots. Sometimes in towns if they wanted them to be found, then someone would usually raise them into slavery or prostitution, or they would abandon them in the wild....if they survived it was the will of the gods...if they got their eyes pecked out and flesh ripped from them by birds, it was the will of the gods.

If they survived, they could always murder their dad and marry their mum, according to one tragedy

Edit: Although that would be a son. Sorry, didn't read your post closely enough.
Quote by Child In Time
Good f*ckin man!

Socrates FTW. And if anyone disagrees, I'll use the Socratic Method on you, bitchz.

Socrates was a bitch!
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Socrates was a bitch!

Socrates was not a dog. Therefore he couldn't be a bitch.
Socrates was not a bitch.

!

Quote by Child In Time
Socrates was not a dog. Therefore he couldn't be a bitch.
Socrates was not a bitch.

!

....i was pwned...
Quote by SkyValley
Ancient Greeks?

F*ck 'em!

Well the ancient greeks are dead. You want to f*ck the ancient greeks. You are a necrophiliac.

....is that how Socrates does it?
Last edited by SeveralSpecies at Nov 7, 2007,
Quote by Child In Time
Good f*ckin man!

Hell yes.

All that I know is that I don't know.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Ancient Greece is definitely one of the most important ancient societies. Great thinkers, art, architecture, mythology, city planning, and many of the things we have in west civilization came from Hellenistic Greece.
Because of this Alexander the Great was probably one of the most if not the most influential leaders of all time.

Kudos to my fellow Philosophical Thinkers.
Socrates is great.
Last edited by Joshrocker48 at Nov 7, 2007,
Quote by wizards?
socrates says,"just like sands in the hourglass, so are the days of our lives!"

Quote by SeveralSpecies

Well the ancient greeks are dead. You want to f*ck the ancient greeks. You are a necrophiliac.

....is that how Socrates does it?

Lol! Er...

F*ck 'em!
The Ancient Greeks are long dead and decomposed. Therefore you can't f*ck them.

-----------------

Quote by kaptink

Aeschylus! F**K YEAH!!!

Hmm, yeah, until a passing eagle drops a turtle on your head...