Page 1 of 2
Right now i am using a old Fender Vibro Champ Amp and I play a Epi. les paul custom w/burstbucker pro pickups. Im also using a Boss DS-1 pedal for distortion.

Unfortunately, i'm not too crazy about the tone im getting for distortion. It sounds a bit too thin to my liking. With the stock pickups, it was just plain awful, but with the new burstbuckers, its way better.

But I was wondering if my amp is holding me back from getting the full potential of my guitar? Suggestions welcomed. Thanks.
Gear:
Epi. Les Paul Custom
Squire Tom Delonge Stratocaster
Fender VibroChamp amp
Boss Ds-1 Distortion Pedal
Digitech RH-250 Multi-effects Pedal
those are pretty old aren't they?? does it have a pretty strong clean tone without the pedal?
What sort of tones are you looking to get? Because that amp is going to have a more vintage sound, and if you're looking for really modern tone, you might be better of with a new amp.
Purchase a tubescreamer.....thick...low.beautiful hendrixy srvish distortion
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
It's probably the amp your using. It could aslo be that the pedal isnt the tone you want. I recomment the Boss od-3 (awesome overdrive pedal)
Quote by sowhat360
those are pretty old aren't they?? does it have a pretty strong clean tone without the pedal?

Yeah, old...from the 70's. The cleans are beautiful.
Gear:
Epi. Les Paul Custom
Fender VibroChamp amp
Quote by Denthúl
What sort of tones are you looking to get? Because that amp is going to have a more vintage sound, and if you're looking for really modern tone, you might be better of with a new amp.

You're right. Im looking for the modern, thick distortion tone.
Gear:
Epi. Les Paul Custom
Fender VibroChamp amp
Well, you have two choices. You could either try something like an Electro Harmonix Metal Muff, or you could look at getting a new amp and, if you can afford it, I'd recommend the latter.
That amp is one of the best clean amps out there and when cranked gets a great blues tone. No pedal will really give it a modern thick distortion in the way that I think you want it. An OCD might get you close, but I would say that if you are primarily looking for a thick lead tone, a Vibro champ is not the amp for you.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
^Geez, you keep promoting these...with $300, and selling the Vibrochamp, I'm sure he could get a Valveking 112, Windsory, or a number of other all tube combos with nice thick distortion. $300 for a pedal really dosn't make economical sense unless you're playing a $1500 dollar amp anyways. And if that amp isn't giving you the distortion you want, then buying a pedal to fix it is like putting a MT-2 in front of your SP-10, hoping for those "brootal lead tones". Amp > pedals, even your beloved Damage Control ones.
Quote by TehJermie
^ ....
anyway, for an amp that nice. get your paws on one of these. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Damage-Control-Demonizer-Tube-Distortion-Preamp-Pedal?sku=154700
its a pretty penny, but the metal muff doesnt compete.

My mate has one of these, I've played around with it and it's awesome. He scoops all the mids out though

Quote by the.spine.surfs
^Geez, you keep promoting these...with $300, and selling the Vibrochamp, I'm sure he could get a Valveking 112, Windsory, or a number of other all tube combos with nice thick distortion. $300 for a pedal really dosn't make economical sense unless you're playing a $1500 dollar amp anyways. And if that amp isn't giving you the distortion you want, then buying a pedal to fix it is like putting a MT-2 in front of your SP-10, hoping for those "brootal lead tones". Amp > pedals, even your beloved Damage Control ones.

Ok, three things.

1) What if he doesn't want to sell the vibrochamp?
2) It's a very good pedal. It will sound better than a VK for those modern heavy sounds in my opinion. And my opinion's right.
3) Not everybody has room for two amps.

Of course it is a very big investment for a pedal but some people would be able to justify it.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by the.spine.surfs

youre just jealous dude. you name any amp, ive heard it. and i love the damage control stuff.

theyre making some of the hottest pedals on the market right now. its really just a matter of time before all of the pros are all over their stuff like flies over a cowpie.i guarantee you the delays and distortions would make you shit your pants. and a distortion pedal as nice as that makes perfect sense. my first encounter with DC was with a tweed twin and a demonizer. youve never heard tone that perfect my friend. best cleans period, juicy beautiful crunch. brutal, musical, articulate, and complex mayhem for distortion.

i dont like to throw out the "better" card because i do understand the concept of subjectivity. but the distortion on the demonizer is miles better than the amps you listed. not to mention the use as a direct recording device or plugged straight into the PA. the demonizer with the right amp, game over.
Um, it's definitely the DS-1. Boss Overdrives/Distortions are fucking terrible, no two ways about it.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Quote by Grundy0
Do you have any idea what your talking about? Because i can't understand half of what your saying and i think you are possibly clinically insane
Welcome to The Pit.

^
I'm sorry, I'm not jelous of any pedal that's $300. I'm student, for cripesake. My whole effects chain didn't cost me $300, or even my bleeding amp. I'm sure they're nice pedals, there are just a damn lot of money. Not all of UG can justify spending that much for a pedal.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I'm sorry, I'm not jelous of any pedal that's $300. I'm student, for cripesake. My whole effects chain didn't cost me $300, or even my bleeding amp. I'm sure they're nice pedals, there are just a damn lot of money. Not all of UG can justify spending that much for a pedal.

But the point is, some can, so he's perfectly entitled to suggest it.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by uldhppi
Whatever you do hold onto the Vibrochamp.

Or he could always sell to to me

Actually 70's fender amps are thought of as being some of the worst amps out there. They have lots of potential, but you have to do a little rewireing. If it's a late 70's amp then he'll have to do a LOT of rewireing.

Your amp probably needs a tune up. Things like electrolytic capacitors need changed every 10 years. More often then that if you don't play often. When was the last time you had it biased? Does it still have the stock speakers?

If you want to fatten your tone a bit, there are a lot of little things you can do to your amp that are easy and cheap. It's not going to get you modern rock tone, but it'll get you closer. If you really want modern tone then I would suggest getting a new amp.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Nov 8, 2007,
With old amps the tubes begin to age and the capacitors inside get old. Some old fenders just dont like heavy distortion. I had a 65 ampeg it didnt like any kind of distortion. Ive also found that pedals can choke the tone of tubes to. I have a Kustom tube amp I was running a boss multi distortion unit. It sounds alot better using the amps distortion and taking the pedal out of the chain. You could try to find a nice tube distortion pedal.
Quote by uldhppi
Whatever you do hold onto the Vibrochamp.

+1

It might not give the sound you want, but it's still a good amp
Quote by the.spine.surfs

when your existence is music, its a drop in the bucket.

and in regards to post-cbs fender amps being "some of the worst" amps. the people who started those rumors all own(ed) pre-cbs fender gear. so of course they have some quality gear. a lot of the post cbs stuff still has an assload more mojo than most of the stuff being produced today.
^my drop in the bucket goes in my songs which gets me shows which gets me 2 weeks worth of ramen.
Quote by TehJermie
^my drop in the bucket goes in my songs which gets me shows which gets me 2 weeks worth of ramen.

I'd rather go with the groceries .

I would suggest getting an amp that can handle distortion on its own before getting a pedal...think about it, kick ass amp+kick ass+pedal=Supreme ampedal.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
my main amp only does clean. but it just adds its great personality and flair to pedals. so they sound huge, warm, and like real amp distortion!
im gearing up to order a few pedals tommorow afternoon.
there will be plenty of time to eat once im old and washed up.
Quote by TehJermie

now THATS asian for you...pssh japanese. joking loll. ramen pwnage!
Fender American Telecaster (60th Anniversary)
Egnater Rebel 30 Head/Cab
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
Quote by racerXazn
now THATS asian for you...pssh japanese. joking loll. ramen pwnage!

im not asian, just poor. can anyone spare some bread?
Quote by TehJermie
im not asian, just poor. can anyone spare some bread?

-_- shut up. *eats korean ramen*
Quote by TehJermie

stay away from ma noodles.
i don't know if anyone else on here has ever tried the damage control pedals, but i can sum them up for you in one word... STERILE!!! the only pedal with a tube in it that's tone remotely justifies it's price is the tonebone line. of course this is all opinion, but honestly, give me a boutique overdrive over any of those ****ty tube loaded plastic cased mass produced rip offs anyday! i think people see the tube light up and the placebo effect convinces them they are playing a tube amp. the bottom line is that those pedals are nothing more than the best attempt to replicate the preamp of an overdriven tube amp in a small, low voltage circuit with a mass production mind set. how can something squeezed into a little stomp box with a power adapter sound as good as a real tube preamp circuit? those things are over hyped.

sorry for the rant, and sorry if it sounds rude, i'm just giving my opinion, and to thread starter... i think you have the wrong amp. those things are sweet though, my neighbor used to have one and we'd jam on it all thetime. in my opinion pedals are only good to enhance the sound of the amp, once you start to try and over ride it (ie. most high gain pedals) you get to sounding sterile and lifeless.
^ considering that the tonebone runs at like 9 volts, it doesnt even get the tube close to warm. the damage control pedals are running at amp level biasing(250 volts if im correct!) and ive run through their entire range. the womanizer is as rich and as warm as they come. i dont know why people here on UG are dogging them so bad, when most people havent even played through any of these. i guess its just fear.
Quote by TehJermie

and in regards to post-cbs fender amps being "some of the worst" amps. the people who started those rumors all own(ed) pre-cbs fender gear. so of course they have some quality gear. a lot of the post cbs stuff still has an assload more mojo than most of the stuff being produced today.

Not all post CBS amps were bad, but the vast majority of the ones from the 70's were. They had bad layouts which made them unstable and prone to noise, parasitic ocilisation, and significant loss of high end. The common practice was to just start putting treble bleed caps on the thing until the amp stabilized. Make some simple changes to the layout and you can get rid of the noise and regain your dynamics and high end.

I'm not saying silver face amps are bad amps. I'm just saying that they are not worth much money due to the major issues that they so often had. I am also saying that you can easily fix those issues and make the amp into a silverface/blackface hybrid and it'll sound much much MUCH better than it did as a silver face. Many of the converted silverface amps sound better than real blackface amps because often times the silverface amps had an extra gain stage.
Quote by TehJermie
^ considering that the tonebone runs at like 9 volts, it doesnt even get the tube close to warm. the damage control pedals are running at amp level biasing(250 volts if im correct!) and ive run through their entire range. the womanizer is as rich and as warm as they come. i dont know why people here on UG are dogging them so bad, when most people havent even played through any of these. i guess its just fear.

The tonebone doesn't run at 9 volts. Mine runs at 15. Still a far cry from 250 though. I like my tonebone classic through a solid state amp but I don't like it at all through my bassman. In my bassman I'm using a tubeslammer from www.cmatmods.com It's a TS copy that is a work of art Great for warming up old fender amps. Still... I don't think a pedal is going to work for the thread starter. He wants modern tone and you can't get that from his amp.
DO NOT sell that amp. My experience with spending over $1000 (easily) to get my Fender Twin to sound think and modern tells me that you're in need of a new amp:-). May i suggest a JCM 800 if you can turn it up or a Orange of some sort.
Page 1 of 2