Ok while doing my guitar exercises along with my metronome I was wondering. Would going across all the frets help me to build up stamina, or would just going up and down the strings over and over help? To help you understand what I'm talking about I'll tab it

e|------------------------------12341234------------------------------
b|------------------------1234------------1234------------------------
g|------------------1234------------------------1234------------------
d|------------1234------------------------------------1234------------
a|------1234------------------------------------------------1234------
e|1234------------------------------------------------------------1234

So this^^ is what I normally do. Should I just do it like this, or like this:

e|------------------------------1234------------------------------5678
b|------------------------1234------------------------------5678------
g|------------------1234------------------------------5678------------
d|------------1234------------------------------5678------------------
a|------1234------------------------------5678------------------------
e|1234------------------------------5678------------------------------

Which one seems more effective, or shoud I just do both
First off, if u tabbed the thing correctly, u would be practicing a very useless scale, I don't think it even exists o_O ur stamina comes over time if u learn some scales and then make ur fingers practice to them. That way, u hit 2 birds with 1 stone, first is getting stamina and coordination, second is getting scales/modes/keys memorized so u can actually get something out of ur practice.
How about doing both one after the other and on the way back up do it backwards, e.g.

e|------------------------------1234321--------------------------------------------------------------------5678
b|------------------------1234-----------4321------------------------------------------------------5678---
g|------------------1234------------------------4321-----------------------------------------5678---------
d|------------1234------------------------------------4321---------------------------5678-----------------
a|------1234------------------------------------------------4321--------------5678-------------------------
e|1234------------------------------------------------------------4321s5678-------------------------------

s=slide

etc.
Quote by Hell_Metalist
First off, if u tabbed the thing correctly, u would be practicing a very useless scale, I don't think it even exists o_O ur stamina comes over time if u learn some scales and then make ur fingers practice to them. That way, u hit 2 birds with 1 stone, first is getting stamina and coordination, second is getting scales/modes/keys memorized so u can actually get something out of ur practice.

It's not a scale o.o it's an exercise for a book to help build speed and synchronize your left fingers with your picking . . . I already have a good synch with my hands . . . atleast after 3 years of playing I would hope . . . . I practice scales also, but I dont use them with a metronome, mostly just studying them and working on improv stuff.
Last edited by bambamm89 at Nov 7, 2007,
Stamina comes with practice. It's that simple. Playing chromatics like the ones posted helps, it builds finger strength too. Playing stuff like that on acoustic guitars with high action is a good way to build stamina as well.
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join