cuz i may purchase one in the near future. i know that they are hated here but i know that about 20% of ug owns them. can somebody tell me whats wrong with them?

EDIT: i dont want this to turn into

"the spider III sucks because everything about it is bad"

i want to know what EXACTLY is wrong with the amp
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Last edited by Phillitalian at Nov 7, 2007,
Well lots of retards on this board will flame just cause others don't like them. However, Line 6 spiders are overpriced amps that do a poor job at emulating the sounds they advertise. There are plenty of other solid state (and tube) amps in the same price range that outperform the spider in many many ways. The small wattage ones under 75 watts are marketed towards beginners, and the high watt ones are marketed for idiots who have lots of money to spend and have never played through a quality amp.

They sound very digital and overprocessed, and if you turn the volume up high it will sound worse as it goes up.

If you're new to amps then the spider's are alright, but for god's sake do not spend a pile of money on a practice amp.

EDIT: spelling mistakes.
Last edited by gbeaks33 at Nov 7, 2007,
And if you want to know exactly what is wrong with the amp, search spider 3 and read the results. You can find everything I said and more in like 2 seconds of searching.
Bloody hell. I normally dont say this, but SEARCH BAR. There's another 347238947329847328947 threads asking the EXACT same thing, they all got awnsers, then got locked.
Youve been here since may you should know the drill.
k, so whats a good suggestion for a practice amp at around $300?
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
Roland Cube, Vox AD15VT...Palomino V8 if you want valve. Those should be fine for practising.
Quote by Denthúl
Roland Cube, Vox AD15VT...Palomino V8 if you want valve. Those should be fine for practising.

tried the cube and liked it, but i need something to be louder than a drummer whos self taught and hits the skins waaaaaay too hard, never tried the vox or palomino

i would also be looking for something with a bunch of on-board effects mainly because i dont want to buy pedals
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
^ Yep, pretty much. Also a Valve Junior if you've got an existing rig and you pretty much only play blues/classic rock.

EDIT: Oh, just saw your post. Try a Vox AD30VT or AD50VT in that case, in my opinion they're some of the best amps of that sort.
the amp i have is about 250. its pretty good too.
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210
Danelectro grilled cheese & t-bone

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Saving for Bugera 333 $300 / $599 :|

Quote by Doppelgänger
Agreed. There's no point in doing anything if she looks like shit.
What sort of music are you wanting to play?
I'd reccomend a Vox, they are excellent amps for the money, much better than a Spider III (although I have never played the two at the same time in the same shop) and I hear the XL models are good too if you want to play metal.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Quote by guitaristclass
What sort of music are you wanting to play?
I'd reccomend a Vox, they are excellent amps for the money, much better than a Spider III (although I have never played the two at the same time in the same shop) and I hear the XL models are good too if you want to play metal.

well i play alot of everything so the amp has to be versatile, having nice cleans and thick distortion. i mainly play stuff like rhcp to metallica
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
Hmm then maybe the AD series would be better...
Best thing to do would be to go down to the nearest big store with enough money to be notcied by the staff and try everything you can afford.

Just so you know, Line6 have a habit of exploding (2 out of 3 people i know who have them have died between 6-12 months for buying one) and they are quite expensive for what they are).
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705331

why you buying a practice amp if you're jamming with a loud drummer?

what sorta styles of music are you playing? and would it be unreasonable for you to save more money for an amp? there's good suggestions in the link i posted.

EDIT: 1 thing that is wrong with the spiders is that when you try to push the master volume past 4. they start to break down and sound REAL bad. pushing it up to 6 or 8 to be heard with a drummer would just be a joke. a real bad sounding joke.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Nov 7, 2007,
i don't find anything wrong with the amp. i have the spider III and i think it's awesome. and how does it sound bad?
Here's my opinion. I had the spider III 75w for a couple weeks before trading it in and basically
it sounds good and you can make great use of the different channels and effects at LOW volumes. Once u start getting to the jamming level it starts breaking up and sounds like ****. So great for a little bedroom amp (15w or 30w) but do not get it for playing with a band or live shows.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
u git an alright clean but the distortion is to muddy sounding unless u get a nice distortion pedal