So I think I'm going to build an 18W Marshall sometime in the near future, blah blah blah. Thing is, I'm not sure if 18 watts will cut it for the clean headroom I want. I like to have good power tube saturation tone for a good blues-rock sound, so I figure the 18W will be perfect for that. But! I also want pretty clean cleans at a good volume. So here's my dilemma: do I go for an 18W, and potentially sacrifice clean headroom for good OD, or do I go for the 36W, and potentially bust my ears out when I've got it turned up?

My band is still fairly small, so we play fairly small gigs. We're doing some recording soon, though, and I think we'll start getting club gigs with a proper PA and whatnot more often.
higher wattage sounds thicker and beefier. more clean headroom. 36 is a very nice area to be in wattage, you can definitely have it over half-volume in most situations which is just where the poweramp starts to kick in and saturate.
very very tough call. because 36w can get quite loud and maybe it would have to be TOO loud to get that saturation. my friend has the 30watt artist series and it stays semi clean (angry marshall clean) for a good time.
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
half power switch seems nice.

but uhm, i find there's a big volume difference between 18w and 36w. i really wanna say go with the 18 if you're gonna be mic'd but then if you're not... the 36w seems awfully handy.

or just buy both
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
its hard to decide maybe, but i would go for the 36, or just go for ceriatone like the above says - they are good!
i think the 18 would be plenty but i always say better safe than sorry
but
i don't think it would have the headroom
actually i know it woulnd't i have an 18
just get the half power switch
and go ceriatone
Meh, I don't really want a Ceriatone, to be honest. They're sweet and stuff, but they're a bit more expensive than other things I've found, they're from Malaysia, and they only have one input for the TMB channel- that just pisses me off a bit.

EDIT: I might just go to GB & C and ask about the pentode/triode switch, I keep forgetting about that.
thats only the one with a master volume
you don't have to get that
look and see if you can find another company
that does the half power switch
but i really recomend ceriatone
Does the 36W have 2 power tubes? You could always pull a tube & cut the output impedance (run a 16 ohm cab w/ 8 ohm output impedance (necessary if you pull tubes). The switch would obviously be better, but building that circuit into the amp may be more trouble than pulling a tube.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
I'm not 100% sure if you can pull a tube in the 36W circuit; not all amps can do that. And you need four tubes to do the pulling- it'll never work in a two-tube power section.
The 36 watt has a half pwoer switch as stock though, keep that in mind. The 18 watt stays clean pretty long still, so I think it should do actually.

Plexis are VERY dynamic, so you can always turn down the volume for cleans.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by cokeisbetter
I'm not 100% sure if you can pull a tube in the 36W circuit; not all amps can do that. And you need four tubes to do the pulling- it'll never work in a two-tube power section.

I wasn't sure of the amp design. I think you can do it on a 2-tube Class A amp, but now that I think about it, Marshalls & Marshall clones are AB, so you're right. In your case it wouldn't work. Oh, well...back to the switch thing.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Gabel
The 36 watt has a half pwoer switch as stock though, keep that in mind. The 18 watt stays clean pretty long still, so I think it should do actually.

Plexis are VERY dynamic, so you can always turn down the volume for cleans.

So the 18W stays clean, huh? I think I'll just go that route, then, as smaller in my situation tends to be better- especially if I can clean it up really well with the volume knob.
Quote by cokeisbetter
Meh, I don't really want a Ceriatone, to be honest. They're sweet and stuff, but they're a bit more expensive than other things I've found, they're from Malaysia, and they only have one input for the TMB channel- that just pisses me off a bit.

EDIT: I might just go to GB & C and ask about the pentode/triode switch, I keep forgetting about that.

why not just get the PTP circuit board, and do the rest yourself? it's like, less than $100
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
i'm pretty sure the 36 watt runs 4 el84s like an ac30. correct me if i'm wrong
Member #4 of The Fulltone Users League
Member #68 of the EHX Users Guild

You Would
i cant decide weather to build a weber 36 watt tmb or a weber 1987 w/ the overdrive tranny and el34 (on a side note would the 1987 w/ those ooptions be good for classic rock or would i be better off w/ the dynamic more headroom tranny)
and i already know what to expect for volume cuz i have a 40 watter that i run wide open regularly
Overdrive tranny? As in transistor? The 1987 is all tube. Even an overdrive transformer doesn't make sense.
Quote by yzmxer931
i'm pretty sure the 36 watt runs 4 el84s like an ac30. correct me if i'm wrong

Yes. That doesn't mean it's the same circuit, though.
Quote by Reincaster
why not just get the PTP circuit board, and do the rest yourself? it's like, less than $100

I'd love to, but the transformers and a chassis is the part that's messing me up. A board isn't a problem at all, and I can get my hands on parts quite easily. Transformers are somewhat harder to get, and the only option for a chassis is to have one drilled for me- I've not got a drill press or any bits big enough for some of the necessary holes.
Quote by cokeisbetter
Overdrive tranny? As in transistor? The 1987 is all tube. Even an overdrive transformer doesn't make sense.

it does if you go to the website they have one that is called " lower headroom ballsy overdrive" and another thats " dynamic punch more headroom" thats what i was referring to i know all about the ampa nd its being tube and such just dont know which ones better for what i want
Quote by cokeisbetter

Yes. That doesn't mean it's the same circuit, though.

I'd love to, but the transformers and a chassis is the part that's messing me up. A board isn't a problem at all, and I can get my hands on parts quite easily. Transformers are somewhat harder to get, and the only option for a chassis is to have one drilled for me- I've not got a drill press or any bits big enough for some of the necessary holes.

I'm sure nik would be able to just sell you a chassis and a transformer....
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Yeah, pretty much everywhere'll do that. It always ends up cheaper as a kit, though- they can buy in bulk, I can't.
yeah n00b, tell us

just kidding, he said:
I like to have good power tube saturation tone for a good blues-rock sound, so I figure the 18W will be perfect for that.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by cokeisbetter
Yeah, pretty much everywhere'll do that. It always ends up cheaper as a kit, though- they can buy in bulk, I can't.

I'm not talking about getting it cheaper for any reason, I'm talking about just getting the trannies.

You never said anything about price for the trans, all you said was getting the transformers was hard. Nik can sell you a set of transformers for $150, a chassis for $60, and since you can get the rest, you should be good to go. If that's not cheap enough, you might as well wind your own.

No one ever said it was going to be easier building your own amps.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12