Page 1 of 2
I got talked into teaching a neighbor how to play guitar. I have no idea where to start as far as teaching her goes, and not to mention, she is like 6, so it'll be really hard for her to understand the concepts Im teaching and stuff.
The first lesson is in 2.5 hours....what should I teach her?
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Will her hands be big enough?
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
Start with correct posture and how to hold the guitar.

Teach her the letters of the open strings and from frets 1 to 3.
From there start showing her basic cords like G, D, C, A, Am, Dm, E, Em. Save bar chords for later.

Then strumming patterns. The basic rock and blues strumming patters are alternate picking will take some time for her to learn since she is so young.

Good luck!
Quote by SGstriker
I got talked into teaching a neighbor how to play guitar. I have no idea where to start as far as teaching her goes, and not to mention, she is like 6, so it'll be really hard for her to understand the concepts Im teaching and stuff.
The first lesson is in 2.5 hours....what should I teach her?

Oooh man i would teach her basic chords for now don't get into any technical things as they will just want to quit because its too complicated!
Teaching a 6 year old music theory...that should be fun ¬_¬
Quote by ep1kz
wtf? why didnt you punch one of them in the face or something? they're not girls, they are fat chavs, they are their own gender
Quote by Badreligionrock
Will her hands be big enough?

She has a little starter guitar made for little kids.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
"These are your strings, each has a name. I use an acronym to help me remember, its quite simple: 'Even Alice Doesn't Get Bitchy Everyday'." (My opening line for every first lesson )

Then scales.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
6... I'd go with getting the fingering right first.

No. Wait, there's laws against that sort of thing... >_>
How to hold it and use good posture. And just show her chromatics so she can get used to using her fingers and build strength. Save chords for another lesson.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Sweep Arpeggios
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Medium head

Ibanez RG1570 Black with Green Dimarzios (For Sale)
Schecter C1 Classic (SD JB/59)
Schecter C1 Hellraiser (EMG 81/85)

Ibanez Tube Screamer
Metal Muff
DOD Death metal
Cry baby Wah
she's 6? get in there!
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

How to hold the guitar and pick, very basic terms, and maybe some simple chords. Probably a simple scale for building strength and dexterity.

You might want to make a list of things for the parents that they can have her do. A practice schedule of sorts, I suppose.

Also, have fun.
let pedophile jokes commence

seriously though, show her basic things like:
how to hold it
where her hands should be
parts of the guitar
correct posture
names of the strings
major scale shape
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Two-handed tapping
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Well 6 year olds don't usually have a sense of logic build into them you see, neither do they have a memory that functional so they can remember the notes and strings unless you give them a funny rhyme that helps. I've had a six year old as a pupil once and the good thing about them is.
They like anything you play, they'll already have ahard time playing simple notes more that 2 frets apart so keep it simple they'll like it anyway. Also fingerpicking is a nice technique that's easy to learn even to one so young, good luck.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
u can get pinch harmonics on acoustics, right?....
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by sam b
Forget theory and all that crap...

Teach her some Slayer

This idea, i like it. xD
Quote by ep1kz
wtf? why didnt you punch one of them in the face or something? they're not girls, they are fat chavs, they are their own gender
Teach her "The Wheels On The Bus Go Round And Round."
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
I think Im just gonna teach her correct posture, and then, once thats over with, teach her a few chords.
She has a little book of chords, so that'll be a good start for her.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Quote by The Leader
"These are your strings, each has a name. I use an acronym to help me remember, its quite simple: 'Even Alice Doesn't Get Bitchy Everyday'." (My opening line for every first lesson )

Then scales.

marvellous
See if its possible for her to play guitar for more than 2 years without ever learning Smoke on the Water. I know its perfectly possible, it just seems so rare..
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
I'd teach her some easy melodic riff, like the intro to Nothing Else Matters or the chorus in Unforgiven.
start this girl off good while shes young we'll make her a prodigy!
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
exactly what i was thinking about ze monsta lol
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Put a 6 year old girl on the internet.. Sounds like a great idea.
Add!

Quote by marko'd

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by ze monsta
UG's child

this site would corrupt her though
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie

Quote by WCPhils
Teach her
FREE BIRD

Nah, just teach her scales, chords, how to hold the guitar, maybe a basic, chord based song (Wild Thing springs to mind).
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by Renka
I'd teach her some easy melodic riff, like the intro to Nothing Else Matters or the chorus in Unforgiven.

If you do it properly, the intro to Nothing Else Matters is not easy for beginners.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
dude she's 6 she's probabally gonna try and eat the pick.
so uhh
Take it slowwwwwwwwwwwwww
"this is a guitar"
this is a string.
this is a note
ect.
Cancer.
Quote by koikomoru
Start with correct posture and how to hold the guitar.

Teach her the letters of the open strings and from frets 1 to 3.
From there start showing her basic cords like G, D, C, A, Am, Dm, E, Em. Save bar chords for later.

Then strumming patterns. The basic rock and blues strumming patters are alternate picking will take some time for her to learn since she is so young.

Good luck!

+1

I go through this everyday with young children. And I hate it. I usually tell the parents to at least wait until their kids are 9-12 years old, unless the child is particularly serious. Of course, the parents usually don't take my advice. After all....I'm just the guy that has to teach the kids...what do I know?

Anyway....open chords and basic power chords (without the octave at first). Names of open strings. Don't bother with theory, she'll never pay attention anyway. If she gets the hang of these chords quickly, teach her about natural harmonics. Kids like cool sounds like that. If she stays with it for a few lessons, start teaching her some simple songs. Just don't overload her with information. Good luck
R.I.P. Turner Blaine
start with the parts of the guitar and the strings. anything more than that is unable to be comprehended by noobs.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
ya the best thing to start off with is to get her to play One Down, One up By Charlie Parker, tell her to tab that puppy out and have it by next wednesday.
Page 1 of 2