When I play my guitar, my picking hand shoulder automatically starts to tense up when I play faster or more technical lines. I've been trying to remedy this for a few months now with no luck. I've slowed down to 1/4 normal speed and eventually I notice the shoulder tension even at the low speeds. Is this something that goes away with time -- I've been playing 2 years, or is this something I can get rid of with any other practice techniques??
I've got the same problem, only with the biceps of my right arm. Especially when I try to play, say, Orion (dunno which part) with only downstrokes as compared to alternate picking.
Quote by trioxyde
When I play my guitar, my picking hand shoulder automatically starts to tense up when I play faster or more technical lines. I've been trying to remedy this for a few months now with no luck. I've slowed down to 1/4 normal speed and eventually I notice the shoulder tension even at the low speeds. Is this something that goes away with time -- I've been playing 2 years, or is this something I can get rid of with any other practice techniques??

your mom
i have this problem but only very slightly. it goes away with time i think you'll find. my shoulder only tenses up when i try to play at very high speeds.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
if it feels muscular you'll need to do a certain streach which will help release the tension.

keeping in mind im explaining thin for a player who picks with their right hand, so the tension will be on top of the right shoulder.

Place your middle finger on your right hand on the the little bone on the top of your left shoulder keeping your right forearm against your chest. looking straight ahead, tilt your head as if you want to rest your left ear on top of your right hand middle finger. you should feel a streach down the right side of your neck and top of your right shoulder.

if you're a lefty just do the same as above but on the right shoulder.

Be careful not to tilt your head too much as you may strain your neck(not nice) only go as far as is comfortable

The Captain