hi, i decided i want to pick up the bass. Dont have any plans of creating a band or anything, just wanna play some of my favorite tunes with my friends on the weekends, and maybe in the distant future write some stuff. I just bought my setup last weekend. Ibanez srx2ex1(didnt pay a penny for it, won a bet) and a vintage Peavey TKO75 for $25(works perfect, just need to change out the jacks).
On average ill have 2-3 hours to practice a day. So i need to see some opinions on what would be the best book(s) overall(if there is 1) that will help me with all the basics i need to know, including warmups/exercises that will help me build my stamina/fingers and familiarize me with frets,positions and techniques.
thanks alot guy, sorry for the long post.
This is what i used. there is a second lesson book and they make two song. I did both lesson books but i didn't do the song books. I loved it. Comes with cd as they all should.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hal-Leonard-FastTrack-Bass-Method-Book-1-CD-Package?sku=940018
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Hal Leonard Bass Method I - III combined volume. Takes you from the four strings to slap in three volumes.
i didnt use any books, i just basically listened to great bass lines and used this website
em x
agreed, i have the hal leonard jazz essentials book, and it is an extremely good buy, it helped me a bunch, so i'm sure the beginning books will be about the same quality
Quote by anarkee
Hal Leonard Bass Method I - III combined volume. Takes you from the four strings to slap in three volumes.

+1....I used this book along with a teacher...I loved it...it does a great job

Just look at me now..I'm even better than Jaco *sarcasm*
i am currently using bass guitar for dummies a little, but i HIGHLY reccomend "The Bass Grimoire"
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I'll also suggest 100 Tips For Bass Guitar You Should Have Been Told by Stuart Clayton. Contrary to the title of the book, it's not just a list of 100 bass guitar tips. It's an actual bass method book which does a very good job going over bass basics (major/minor scale exercises, introduces phrasing techniques). The books covers mostly fingerstyle playing but does introduce slap and pick playing.
Quote by kranoscorp
i am currently using bass guitar for dummies a little, but i HIGHLY reccomend "The Bass Grimoire"

The Bass Grimoire is a good book for scales / modes and associated fingering. But as an all round theory or bass technique book, its a bit limited in its range.
Instead of a book, I would recommend learning to read tabs as quickly as possible, then learning your favorite songs, and after a while bass lines just pop into your head ^_^
Epi LP Custom SILVERBURST

Quote by thefitz

Hold it like you hold a Crunchwrap Supreme.

Official Chiodos Fan of the Bass Militia
PM DinkyDaisy to Join
Hal Leonard books are excellent. They ease you into the theory and practical side together, so you always know what you're doing, how to do it and why it works. The beginner ones also have ear training exercises which will help you more than any tab trawling method.

I honestly don't recommend just learning from tabs. It's sort of like trying to build a house without any knowledge of physics or architecture, just a sketch of what the end product is meant to look like. Sure, you can put one brick on top of the other... but you're poorly equipped to create a new structure from the ground up.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Nov 8, 2007,
Quote by anarkee

not every bassist wants to slap
Quote by sidious
not every bassist wants to slap

Thats not what I meant. It was more a general statement that the Hal Leonard Books will take you from basic to some intermediate techniques in three volumes. About the only thing they don't cover by book three is tapping, btw.

Book III is a bear though, and as Bales and I have mentioned before, it tends to be the "lets cram in as many advanced techniques as possible in one volume". But if you are looking for a good all round bass book, the three volumes are one of the best options.
Hal Leonard Bass Method. It teaches 1-2-4 fingering in the beginning, which is far less stressful on the hand. Their theory is that learning to shift finger positions is better than stretching out your fingers uncomfortably, and I think it's true. This is really the only bass method book that worked for me, just make sure to get the book with the CD included.
^ I disagree. You have four fingers use them. I've been using four fingers since I've started bass and never had a problem. It's like lifting weights, after a while it's gonna hurt lifting heavier weights. So what do you do? The 1-2-4 method is the equivalent of lifting lighter weights, which won't really solve anything. You just stop, and go back at it later. Sure it's going to hurt, but you need to use four fingers. If it hurts, take a break.

Anyway, other than the ridiculous 1-2-4 method, and the overly quick 3rd book, the Hal Leonard Bass Method Book 1-3 is great.
I think you could do a lot worse than the Dummies book if you are a complete beginner. It may not be cool but it gets you well on your way...
For the record, I should have the bass books list for the FAQ to Deliriumbassist by the end of today. It needs a bit of editing yet, but it should include most of the basic books in a variety of styles with a few advanced options as well.