I am looking for something like Guitar Rig 3 (which I already have and love) that will make my guitar make strange ambient techno/noise type sounds.

I am using Cubase, perhaps some type of synth plugin will work? I am not even really sure what those do
Guitars aren't the best instrument to use to make 'ambient techno' sounds.

You'll want to use a synthesizer, controlled by a midi-instrument. Grab a midi-controller keyboard and shape some sounds in a program like ZynAddSubFX.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
If I Get a USB midi keyboard, can I use Cubase's "VST instruments" to make synth sounds?
Quote by ixelion
If I Get a USB midi keyboard, can I use Cubase's "VST instruments" to make synth sounds?

I don't know much about VST, I'm a linux-only guy. A USB midi-keyboard will simply tell the software synthesizers what notes to play. So anything that is midi-ready and makes noise will probably work without any configuration.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Try a couple of free VST softsynths, and learn to use them before you invest in a decent one. That way you'll know exactly what you need.

Alternatively, you could get Reason and have everything you'll ever need and more for synth stuff, but you might not want to spend that kind of money for a few minor additions to your project.

Also, you don't need a keyboard. You can draw in your notes manually using the cubase sequencer. Personally though, I can't design synth patches without a keyboard. It's helpful, but not necessary.
Quote by ixelion

Yes.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Also, you don't need a keyboard. You can draw in your notes manually using the cubase sequencer

I just figured out how to do this in Cubase and it would probably be a lot easier and faster if I just played they keyboard myself with the music. Trying to use the step/notation sequencer seems like lot of work.

Free VST soft synths and Reason basically work in the same way, in that they are synthesizers?
Last edited by ixelion at Nov 8, 2007,
Reason is a collection of synthesizers, samplers, effects, and some other cool things that I won't get into. It's pretty good for anyone who wants to use synths to some effect, but if you really learn how to use it then it's amazing.

Using it with your sequencer software is a little different than using VST instruments, but not difficult at all.

And yeah, hand-drawing notes is very tedious. You can get a cheap midi controller for about $100.
Cool i think i'll stick to free synths for the time being, and grab a cheap midi keyboard. Thanks for the info great advice as usual.