Poll: Which finish option do you think looks best on Edwards E-Al-128?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which finish option do you think looks best on Edwards E-Al-128?
Edwards E-AL-128 Saw Tooth
5 31%
Edwards E-AL-128 Scythe
10 63%
Edwards E-AL-128 Arrow Head
1 6%
Voters: 16.
Hey guys I am really keen on buying one of these guitars. In case you don't know much about these guitars here is a link to ESP/Edwards Japan site.

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/artist/alexi_laiho/index.html

Specs are as follows:

BODY : Alder
NECK : Hard Maple 3P
FINGERBOARD : Ebony , 24frets
INLAY : Scythe
SCALE : 25.5 inch (648mm)
NUT (width) : Lock Nut (42mm/R2)
JOINT : Neck-thru-body
BRIDGE : Floyd Rose
PICKUPS : EMG HZ-H4
CONTROL : Master Volume
COLOR : White with Black Pin Stripe

Just wanted to know any UG'ers who own this guitar or who have had experience with it and how they feel about it, playability, acces to higher frets, single pickup etc

Is the bridge an OFR or Licensed, I thought it was OFR but am not really sure.

I can buy this guitar new off ebay and it comes with Alexi's MM-04 gain booster preinstalled and this is the only way I can buy one with booster already installed. What do you think of the gain booster?

Also, I was curious as to whether at a later stage, I could install another pickup in the neck (something like the single coil sized pickup that Roope Latvala used to have in his old Jackson's). Would this be posible with neck through body and would it be expensive?

Also, several of the edwards necks in this series are painted while others arn't what is the deal with this and which plays better (opinions are fine)

Lastly, which of the three finishes do you guys thinks looks the best? Please vote in the poll.
Last edited by Lrn2shrd69 at Nov 7, 2007,
I got the SD Pink one awhile ago and it's by far my best buy. I got mine before they started pooting the booster in them but my friend has it and he said it's pointless. It'd be good if you had no sense of tone. The bridge is licensed. If you wanted to install another pickup, you COULD.. but I think that'd be a lot more trouble than it's worth. It sounds great as it is. Most people maybe surprised to see that it has an almost bluesy tone if you don't pack anything behind it.
ok i own white one with scythe inlays, neck is great feeling, tremelo is official floyd i belive, the pickup is pretty much dissapointing, horrible lead tones gettin up past 15 frets, too tinny and sharp. i dont know if mine has gain booster i dunno, bit i really want to get a single coil installed as well, the emg is fine for rythmn but lead is awful. anyuways lkocking and tremelo work well. ok single complaint really is bad pickup. and dont be fooled into getting super heavy strings, ive had a 11- 50 somethin on and it was way to tight and no sustain, i play 10 - 42 in C D, and Drop C and its good. damn this thing is sexy tho girls love it, trust
I wouldn't spend that much money on a guitar with a single(crap) pickup. But it's your money...

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

A lot of people think the single EMG is crap. The thing is, 90% of people don't know how to use it. Listen to a lot of Bodom's newer stuff and you'll hear Alexi doesn't use that much distortion. Opposite of what a lot of newer guitarists do. He also uses a makeshift hotplate, so you really need to play loud to emulate his tone. Which you should be doing anyway hah.
ok i forgot to mention the pickup really quite good clean, and rythm, but lead tones are hard to smooth out all the sharp noises, and past 15 frets its almost impossible not to hear some weird magnetic chirping or somethin it really pisses me off.
Yh after looking at the page with the laiho artist page I am sure it is an OFR and even the custom shop models, the bridge is just called "Floyd Rose", same as edwards. I ahve heard bad crap about pickup but i would probably change to Duncan Black out anyway, wat u guys think?

Edit: And those who are saying Hz-4 is crap for lead tone, I think thats what the gain boost is for the emphasise single notes more as well as adding a bit more bite.
Last edited by Lrn2shrd69 at Nov 7, 2007,
I don't get that chirping you get SacrificeMe.. I think maybe your bass is a bit too low and your gain is a bit too high. What amp are you using?
ESP US had a special edition of the Alexi custom. It's black with pink trim and inlays (yes, pink inlays!). It also says COBHC in pink on the back. They only made 150 so I was happy to get it hah.
im using marshall mg15, roland jc-77(wich sounds probly best), and marshall jcm 900 2100 sl-x, i was thinkin it may be that my pickup is too close but im not sure.
I know which one your talking about. But you have the US custom shop one not the ltd 600 series equivilant right?
That's probably your problem. How many springs do you have on it?
Quote by Lrn2shrd69
I know which one your talking about. But you have the US custom shop one not the ltd 600 series equivilant right?

US custom
I just noted that on the custom shop pink sawtooth, the pickup is an emg hz-h1, whereas on every single othe alexi model, excluding ltd 200 series it is hz-h4, anyone no the difference?
springs? like in the back on the trem, 3. anyways yeh id like to fix this, the only way to describe it is it sounds like the dissonance you get when bending 2 strings you know, except it happens anywhare on high E above 15 frets,
Try taking one of the springs off. Then mess with your bridge so it's not so close. You should be able to pick the biggest E pretty hard without any buz. As for the EMG question, I don't know the difference.
just want to answer some of my original questions.

1. Is it hard to acces 24th fret on this model?
2. Would it be hard to install sya a duncan hot rail in the neck position, given that routing would be required?
God, i love the black with white pin stripes.. Awseome.. The "one pickup" issue, isn't a problem if you play metal
the 24 frets is cake walk, usually i dont even pay attention where im goin anymore just slide all fast malmsteen style and if i missed 24 then just bend to get that note. its fun. i wish i knew about putting in an extra pickup, cause godamn i want to have 2! arch enemy rules
Quote by SacrificeMe
springs? like in the back on the trem, 3. anyways yeh id like to fix this, the only way to describe it is it sounds like the dissonance you get when bending 2 strings you know, except it happens anywhare on high E above 15 frets,

dont use so much gain. too much gain distorts the sound wave too much and irritates my ears

BUT

the reason is ur action is too low!
raise it that tiny bit to stop the strings hitting the other frets.

also try restringing ur guitar cus i had that problem with my maverick.
it kept buzzing when i played it past a certain point but i restrung it and it stopped.

hope it works cus i wanna get this guitar and if it doesnt then im just gonna hev to spend 2 grand on a real ESP
Last edited by skerrett at Nov 11, 2007,
AHAH thank you for your suggestions. I was sure it wasnt my action cause im usually pretty good at settin that up, but i took your advice, and i found that there was a broken off little piece of string stuck in the saddle on the high E, took that out, put the string back on and YES! no more magnetic dissonace bullcrap. nah i dont use too much gain altho i do have an jcm 900 slx, i dont play nu-metal trash. or emo baby "core" metal. **** lol i was ready to blame those noises on anything, i went from blaming it on guitar to amp, back and forth i was pissed. im so glad now tho. i have 6 boss pedals so gettin cool tones is ez, but gettin rid of those noises i couldnt, thank god it was just a tiny bit of string lodged in the saddle.