My advanced social studies class is studying the Middle East right now and what we are learning is making it look like totally a bogus place to be anywhere. We are watching a movie called "Promises" which is a fasinating film and it is about Isreali children and they sort of narate the whole story.. Isreal is supposed to be higher on the list of places to live but it still looks like a terrible spot to be. Give your comments on the Middle Eastern conflicts.
Israel is one of the many reasons why the middle east sucks
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
Yeah its a mess there. But on the contrary Israel is really a safe place to live.

Quote by Guitarist132
Israel is one of the many reasons why the middle east sucks

Elaborate.
Israel is a really cool place, but the rest of the countries are WAAAAAYY too hostile.
Listen to my songs, but only if you are prepared for the greatest experience of your life .
I would hate to live there. Living in constant fear of attack.....
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
sucks all around
Co founder and fifth member of the "I watched The cptncacklefanny Soap Opera" club. pm Theplague925 or PapaSmurph to join.
If this is going to be political you ought to have posted in the Political thread, if not please clarify in your initial post. Though there still may be some problems cause these threads never end up well, particularly with your lovely thread title there. Mmhmm.

I lived in Jordan for nearly 5 years and it was quite lovely. The only reason I wasn't able to fully enjoy it was cause of cultural family stuff, nothing at all to do with the place. Beautiful landscapes, high tech, buildings and skylines...in fact, this is my favourite picture of the Amman skyline:

If you ask me the culture needs to be reformed, I can't speak for the rest of the nations though. There's a huge gap between the villages (very conservative and undeveloped) and the cities (see above picture); and there's a huge gap between the haves and have-nots, so some economic reform is in order as well.

I just feel offed by people when they assume that the Middle East is an awful place to be, I want to let people know it's not all like that.
Quote by blu_flame34
If this is going to be political you ought to have posted in the Political thread, if not please clarify in your initial post. Though there still may be some problems cause these threads never end up well, particularly with your lovely thread title there. Mmhmm.

I lived in Jordan for nearly 5 years and it was quite lovely. The only reason I wasn't able to fully enjoy it was cause of cultural family stuff, nothing at all to do with the place. Beautiful landscapes, high tech, buildings and skylines...in fact, this is my favourite picture of the Amman skyline:

If you ask me the culture needs to be reformed, I can't speak for the rest of the nations though. There's a huge gap between the villages (very conservative and undeveloped) and the cities (see above picture); and there's a huge gap between the haves and have-nots, so some economic reform is in order as well.

I just feel offed by people when they assume that the Middle East is an awful place to be, I want to let people know it's not all like that.

Hopefully people will read this.
The turmoil in Pakistan is going to bring some problems down the road. If the extremists manage to overthrow the government there, then they could potentially gain control of Pakistan's nukes. Then India would have their nukes aimed and ready.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
I don't know what you saw, but Israel is way safer than Argentina, Brazil, or any other country with high crime rates.
Seriously Israel is like any other normal country though it's often portrayed as a warzone.
About the other places, well I don't want to give my opinions because I think that also those places (except places VERY dangerous like Afghanistan) are a bit exagerated by the media.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

TS- you are an incredibly ignorant person if you honestly believe some of what you're saying.

Israel is a nice place, but it has also been the source of a lot of turmoil there. Not so much now, as Palestinians seem to be fighting each other rather than Israel, but that's just what I've been learning from my Middle Eastern Studies class...
Living in America, I'm not sure if what they're teaching is accurate or not. I don't trust most of what I see in the media anyway though.

One could see the murder rates in the U.S. and say that it's a crappy place to live here.
Needlenick wrote:

Dave Grohl has officially literally done everything.
its all about perspective bro.

the middle east prolly doenst suck, you've prolly never been there, so how would u no. its just what u see on the certain thing u are watching in school and the media. the media is not the truth, it is just everywhere, so it seems like the truth.
Quote by TSmitty6
its all about perspective bro.

the middle east prolly doenst suck, you've prolly never been there, so how would u no. its just what u see on the certain thing u are watching in school and the media. the media is not the truth, it is just everywhere, so it seems like the truth.

Amen.

www.zeitgeistmovie.com

Don't watch that looking for facts (although they point out some good stuff in it). Just open your mind to it.
Needlenick wrote:

Dave Grohl has officially literally done everything.
Quote by scarfacesuit
Amen.

www.zeitgeistmovie.com

Don't watch that looking for facts (although they point out some good stuff in it). Just open your mind to it.

Why should I open my mind to bullshit?
Quote by Joshrocker48
Why should I open my mind to bullshit?

Because he has an Angus Young avatar !
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by scarfacesuit
Amen.

www.zeitgeistmovie.com

this is a good movie, i think their approach is a little crazy tho, its especially offputting to religious people, the first chapter just denounces religion, i think it should be adressed later or not at all, cuz people deserve to see parts 2 and 3 especially. i love the bill hicks reference at the end.

its message is basically like things arent what they seem.
Quote by aenimafist
Armenia is cool though.

HAHAHAHA I'm Turkish
Quote by Joshrocker48
I like you, as a fellow vocalist I like that you are here on UG and admit to not being a guitarist.
Bravo.

Quote by arsonite
GTFO non-guitarist!

Joke
okay
im an arab
and the middle east is really not all like people make it out to be

i lived in jordan for 10 years
and i liked it much more than i like america
and to be honest
i felt much more safe there than i do here

so please dont be a fashionist and say the middle east sux
just because everyone else is saying it
because youve probably never been there
Quote by :-D
I once saw somebody carry a Guitar Hero controller in a case to protect it. He probably should have packed his testicles in there too, seeing as he won't need to use those for quite a while.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
Quote by TSmitty6
this is a good movie, i think their approach is a little crazy tho, its especially offputting to religious people, the first chapter just denounces religion, i think it should be adressed later or not at all, cuz people deserve to see parts 2 and 3 especially. i love the bill hicks reference at the end.

its message is basically like things arent what they seem.

Their approach is a little crazy? Making a movie is crazy? ****, they should spread their theories by the edge of a sword.

Anyways, Zeitgeist is lame.
Israel is only portrayed as a warzone because us kiddies in our world history classes have been taught that Israel is "constantly under attack" which is total shitbull.
Israel hasn't been waging a what...200year war or something? It's military is actually considered one of the best in the world, who would fuck with that?

zeitgeistmovie is really good, but the christianity stuff is bullshit to the nth degree. there are loads of reasons why there might not be any documents of jesus...besides, that movie has NOTHING to do with the middle east except for talking about Jesus being born in Israel or whatever....so leave it alone.

and the United States has the world's highest murder rate....feel safe still?
all of Asia combined doesn't have US' yearly murder rate. So murder isn't it.
the whole Sadame thing was just a small thing....people there have much better
shit to do with their lives then kill eachother...what could someone have/have done that would drive them to do that sort of thing in their poor areas?
nothing.

so in fact, The Middle East > US in alot of ways, but US > Middle East in some ways as well.

okay, this is turning political isn't it?
dude I just did a research paper on the Armenian Genocide (R.I.P.) and the Ottoman and Young Turk stuff.
Quote by urik
Seriously Israel is like any other normal country though it's often portrayed as a warzone.
I'd like to counter this, and strongly - Israel is very much like a Westernized, wealthy, industrialized country - and this is not normal in the world. Normal in the world is poor and miserable, I mean, relative to Western standards. Normal is Brazil or India or China, and not the wealthy elite parts, though they're important, but the dumpy parts.

There's a bunch else I could say about the Middle East, I won't get into it though.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
I want to visit Morocco (africa, technically), Turkey, Lebanon, Tehran, Dubai, Oman, etc... I'd love to learn Arabic. Middle eastern culture is very rich and deep.