i dont imagine its like guitars where different ones do different things, the idea is to keep the guitar in tune for as long as humanly possible. so, what are the best tuners you know of (im replacing some sg tuners which aren't all that good - the green keys)
Grover tuners are pretty good. They come on Les Pauls. You can always buy/install a locking nut
Sperzels locking tuners are great. Very tuff, will last about as long as ur headstock will. But they are pretty heavy, and might throw off the balance of ur guitar. They also are pretty expensive, but well worth it. Otherwise, go for Grovers or maybe Schallers.
I think sperzel locking tuners are the best.

Grover are good as well.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Planet Waves also have some very nice locking tuners. But Sperzels are supposed to be the best!
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
cool, i'll check out sperzels. to be honest the balance is a bit off on the sg anyway - starting to think about weighting one end of it for gigs

found these - http://www.thomann.de/gb/sperzel_mechanik_6l_trimlok_ch.htm

they are cheaper than schallers from this place i think. cheers everyone
Last edited by CobenBlack at Nov 7, 2007,
The sperzels have smaller tuner knobs than grovers so are actually better for the balance. They work really well but then again real grovers are pretty good to. If you dont have a wammy you probably dont really need locking tuners just some decent ones.
ive heard the grover gearless tuners stay in tune forever.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Not all tuners fit in all holes. The brands all have a slightly different shaft size. Somebody decided that non standardization was the way to go.
These are without a doubt the best tuners for tuning stability.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Steinberger_Gearless_Tuners.html

If you can get past their horrible look you will find that they are probably the best tuners ever made. I can't get past how ugly they are so I use these instead.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Schaller_Locking_Guitar_Machines.html

The schaller tuners are better than any grover, planet waves, or sperzels I have ever tried.
Not taking any online orders.
In theory, the best are LSR, but they aren't made anymore and are pricey. they look a helluva lot better then the Steinbergers too As for "conventional" tuners, I found I really liked Sperzel and Grover, but Schaller, Planet Waves, and Gotoh make quality stuff too.
Pretty much any locking tuners will be better for tuning stability than the standard ones and the wilkinson EZlocks (they suck a bit).
Just get some good quality ones and it's all good.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Quote by Gutch220
Grover tuners are pretty good. They come on Les Pauls. You can always buy/install a locking nut

except for the fact that you have to widen the nut cutout on the neck, and drill holes thru the neck to hold it on. not to mention they're pointless unless you have fine tuners on your bridge (which im pretty sure TOM bridges dont)
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Are there ways to string a guitar differently than that?

I thought that was just the way you do it.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'm going to start posting this link a lot. Try this method, could save you some bucks!

http://www.stringthis.com/howtostringu.html

That's a good link!

I'll do that when i next change my strings
Guitars Fender Highway 1 Telecaster, Vintage VS-6, Yamaha C-40 Classical
Amps Laney VC15, Crate GT212 *FOR SALE*
Pedals Fulltone OCD, Vox V847, Marshall The Echohead, EHX Small Clone, Korg DT-10

Member of the Laney Cult
I always wish I had 3 hands when I string guitars, but I think that's just cause I want it to look purty.

That *is* a good diagram.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.