I have a Peavey Vk100 Tube head, and I know that power attentuators are used to really drive the power tubes to get a much greater tone. If I put a DS-1 in the effects loop and have the level at a lower setting so I could turn up the master of my head so I can drive the power tubes harder, would that get the same result as a power attentuator?
with pedals you'll get more gain but not from the tubes.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
with pedals you'll get more gain but not from the tubes.

No I know, but what I meant was to turn the gain to 0 and the level alot lower so I could turn up the lead channel more and get more power tube gain.
Quote by gunther_sucks
No, you would not be hitting the powertubes with a full blast of electric current.

No added current, no added breakup.
Quote by HELL_AWA1TS
No I know, but what I meant was to turn the gain to 0 and the level alot lower so I could turn up the lead channel more and get more power tube gain.

That's not how it works. If you turn the lead channel all the way up but have very little volume going to the input, you're not going to get the power tubes cooking because there's a tiny little signal going to them. An attenuator lowers the signal after it's gone through the power tubes, so you get that saturation.
Quote by Roc8995
That's not how it works. If you turn the lead channel all the way up but have no signal going to it, you're not going to get the power tubes cooking because there's a tiny little signal going to them. An attenuator lowers the signal after it's gone through the power tubes, so you get that saturation.

Oh, so it can only be done between the head and the cab.
^ You got it. Also, for the best results, you'll want to run your guitar to the DS-1 to the amp. Distortion/Overdrive effects need to be in front of the preamp, rather than in a loop.
My Gear:

Agile AL-2000 (Tiger-Eye)
Ibanez Acoustic/Electric

Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez TS-7 Tubescreamer [Keeley Modded]
Well, the point of an OD is to push the amp's preamp tubes a little harder in order to grab some more gain... So putting it after the preamp wouldn't get as much as an effect. The way I generally do it is Guitar>wah>od/dist>preamp>delay, reverb, modulation (in loop) >power amp.
My Gear:

Agile AL-2000 (Tiger-Eye)
Ibanez Acoustic/Electric

Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez TS-7 Tubescreamer [Keeley Modded]