so i been thinkin of gettin a diff guitar, and i keep gettin the urge to get one with a floyd rose so i can mess with the tremolo a bit, since i havent had a guitar with one yet. i always hear bad things bout floyd roses, so hard to tune, restrings a pain (id prolly just have that done by my local shop). are they THAT bad if im pretty good at learning how to do things (like tune it properly, and follow through with it)...etc, or should i just steer clear of em all together....if i got a guitar with one i was thinkin bout an ibanez or a jackson, maybe would also like to try seymour duncans, have emgs right now in my esp ec500s, would like to experiment, which ibanez or jackson (i know more metal type guitar), would be best for combo of rock/metal, and sometimes just clean messin around..not lookin for prestine clarity, lol.... id probably trade one i got in now, most likely recieve 300 or so for it, probably willing to spend 500 more on top of that, so total of 800 for which guitar in those 2 companies is best. id prefer to buy new as well fyi
Last edited by shinedown98 at Nov 7, 2007,
Floyds aren't that bad at all once you get the hang of them. Almost anything from either of those companies in that price range would be a good choice. I would personally go for a Jackson RR3. Also check out the DK2M. From Ibanez, the S series has some really nice ones, same with RG's. Just go to the local shop and try some out and see what you like best.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
lol yea prepare to have a pain in the ass fixing it and ****. damnit.
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
i was thinking the same thing b4 i got my jackson WRMG but it isnt that bad once u get the hang of it, it took me like an hour to restring and retune, but now more like 1/2 hour so its not that bad.

james
as long as you take your time the first few times you restring and tune so you dont **** anything up youll get the hang of it, and if you dont mind spending all the time tuning and restringing it, its definately worth having
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
I've enjoyed mine, it's a cheap knockoff, but works pretty well, and I don't have to worry about everything going out of tune.

re-stringing and getting the bridge to float seem hard at first, but after the first change of strings you can do it in no time.

It is true that you can't change tunings easily though, mine is tuned for standard, and that's it because it's way too much hassle to play in anything else. I can still beat the hell out of the wammy bar and keep it in tune though.
so,. with the lucking nut and all that they stay in tune pretty well? and i also heard u can tune it to standard....but then adjust the screw on low e to get to drop d if u want, but then i heard if u mess with any of the strings it throws tuning off the rest of em, so i dunno, lol...someone needs to invent a badass alternative that stays in tune and is capable of switching tunings with relative ease, make a fortune, haha.
the floyd stays in tune VERY well once you stretch the strings out... but you need to reset the bridge everytime you want to tune down or up.... its meant to be set at one tuning... its a bitch and a half... but then again i am a tuning *****
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Get it man, you won't know until you try it.
Quote by Kanthras
Since there is no such thing as perfect tone, and every rig has differences (however slight they may be), I hereby declare this claim as bullshit.
so i been thinkin of gettin a diff guitar, and i keep gettin the urge to get one with a floyd rose so i can mess with the tremolo a bit, since i havent had a guitar with one yet./QUOTE]

well, it you want to use a tremolo to its fullest effect, you don't just "mess around" with it. well, i mean you can. but then you're just sounding like every other nut-sack who doesn't know what to do with the thing.
listen to electric ladyland by hendrix. then figure out what you want to do with a tremolo... hahahaha
I own an edge III which i hear here are the worst BUT I HADN'T HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT. It sure is hard to tune and restring but is a floating trem is not a toy. Its a very complex piece of equipment and once you tune it or restring it, it stays fine for long. At least my has done it so far..... SO FAR....
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1 (moDE)

Ibanez Electro-Acustic

Zoom G2.1u

Roland Cube 60
Vox AD50VT 2x12

And A Great Passion!

Best Spanish Rock Band IS and WILL always be "Heroes Del Silencio"!!!!!
i hate edge's. as many people have said before, floyd roses really aren't that bad once you get the hang of them. most people are just to impatient or ignorant to do some research, so they just try to beat them down.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Quote by Links 2 3 4

You don't know what you're talking about.

When buying expensive equipment, be it a bike, a fishing rod or a guitar, it's good idea to learn how it works, and how it's maintained. People who get a guitar with an FR style bridge but are not willing to learn how it works (which takes about 15 minutes if you're not retarded) are going to have trouble, but that's because they're stupid. If they had taken the time to learn how to set it up, they would be fine, but they can't be bothered, so they go on the internet saying "Floy7ds suck d00d, they are impossible to keep in tune".

On my guitar I've got an Edge Pro, which is one of Ibanez's better OFRs. When I change my strings, the tuning is a bit unstable for the first 24 hours, like you would expect with new strings. After that, the guitar stays in tune until I change the strings again. Changing the strings takes me 30-60 minutes, that includes oiling the fret board and cleaning up the guitar in general (I'm saying 30-60 mins, because I've never really clocked it and I don't care, but that's about how long it takes).

Of course, you shouldn't buy a guitar with a broken Floyd or the cheapest licensed Floyd available, but judging all products within a category based on the ****tiest you can find is stupid. "Dude, don't get that Custom Shop Strat! I played a plywood Squire once, and it sucked!"
Quote by Links 2 3 4

yeah,you obviously don't know what you are saying...don't listen to these kind of people...it really ain't trouble some at all...
Last edited by NoobOnZone at Dec 7, 2007,
hey...erm,shinedown98,i've made a blog for the changing of strings...hope it'll help,check it out any time you want...
Quote by NoobOnZone
no problem at all...wait...these might help you with changing the strings...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwNVjNohOt4 and http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48897

i plan to get a s470 and both the video and the pictures help ALOT,don't sweat it,it won't be much of a problem after you get use to it...

hope the video and the thread helps you

Wow, u guys still watched that video i posted here half a year ago?

Anyway, its not really that hard once u practice over time..........
a floyd rose is only bad if you dont know how to re-string and tune it, and keep it properly maintained
thats why you hear so much crap from great guitars in reviews because some of the unfortunate buyers had no idea what to do, and it caused them hours of frustration

since i am also buying a fr guitar, try to print the owners manual off the ESP website, that way when you get one, youll have a better understanting of what to do so that you get the best out of your guitar
In my experience of talking to other guitarists whom disliked Floyd Roses, this is what I have come to realize: Those who don't like them and say they are a pain are either impatient or don't understand the basic principles of physics. Floyd Roses are built off of balance and tension. If you have even a little bit of knowledge about these two items, then you'll be able to tune and re-string your Floyd without any problems.
Quote by Vittu0666
In my experience of talking to other guitarists whom disliked Floyd Roses, this is what I have come to realize: Those who don't like them and say they are a pain are either impatient or don't understand the basic principles of physics. Floyd Roses are built off of balance and tension. If you have even a little bit of knowledge about these two items, then you'll be able to tune and re-string your Floyd without any problems.

+1

It's not difficult to understand how it works.

Imagine a seesaw. If a fat kid sits on one end, and a skinny kid on the other side, it will be unbalanced, and they won't have much fun playing. If you got a fat kid on one side (heavy strings) you need a fat kid on the other side (increased spring tension). If kindergardeners can understand this, so can you.
Lots of people will disrespect the floyd rose or floating trem bridges, because either they are Newbies to guitar, or have had the guitar with the trem under 2 years and are not experianced enough to cope with balancing the trem, changing springs and setting it up, because they might not understand the mechanism or had a tough time with one and sold it.

Like me, i got my first floyd rose guitar when i got a jackson after jus 1 year of playing when i was 13, obviously at that age and that experiane of playing i could not change the strings or set it up...evan on a standrd gitar like a strat i could do it, so it would be trips to the shops once a month which was a waste of money, so i sold it. But this year i got myself a Ibanez RG prestige with argubaly the best floating trem, the edge pro. its on par with the official Floyd rose in my opinion.

as long as you get a decent floyd rose style trem and its not an edge pro III, or a real cheap one, then it will be fine. But bare in mind it can take a lot of practise to get the nack of it. People who rave about the trem like the edge pro, have probally been playing a while and also have experiance setting guitars up. Im not recomended Newbies dont buy these trems, im just saying if they do or you do..i would only have it set up by a pro at a shop, and wouldnt attempt it myself until you have seen how its done, have some tips, advice, and understand the mechanism. Because i just started tinkering with mine when i younger and balls'd the whole thing up..i didnt evan know the springs at the back of the guitar changed anything. In my opinion these trems are well desgined and you can cool stuff on them. Also have decent tools with you, like good allen keys, and a work station. Doing on a living room floor is not a good idea, and the most important tip is take your time. I learnt how to do mine, by watching an instructional video i got with a magazine, i saw luthiers do it and they showed me how to do it as well, and also had a maintainance book for guitar too.
I looked into it alot, because some one who can set up a floyd rose very well, or a bridge, or truss rod and pick up changes etc....and understnd every aspect on the guitar is very helpful to themselves and other budding guitarists.

I think if you want a guitar with a floating trem, i wouldnt let people discourage you, jst respect it and take your time if your going to make adjustments, and ask for help if you get stuck.

You only have to look around at amazing guitarist, like Steve vai, Satriani, Eddie van halen, Dmieba darrel, Hammet and john petrucci for example,if there good enough for them there certainly good enough for us on UG.