Hey,
Yet another one of my "what should I get" threads.
Now it's between getting new speakers for my peavey classic 50 410, or getting a valve junior head that I can use for light recording, practice, or just toting around places (i'll make a small, portable cab with a cheap speaker off of ebay or something).
Anyways... if I were to get new speakers, i'd get 4 ted weber signature alnico 10"s.
Both the speakers and the VJ would come up with around the same price, but what would be more practical to get?
Also, I was thinking of modding the valve junior, and to use as something to learn the workings of an amp. How complex is it to mod them?

Thanks!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Well, I'm not sure how good the Peavey's speakers are, so I guess my opinion isn't entirely unbiased. I really dig the idea of a VJ, though, cos they can be a lot of fun to mess around with, plus they're just so simple that nearly any piece of gear can sound good through them. The VJ is also an excellent place to get into modding, as they're quite simple and easy to understand. Be careful, though- it is still a high-voltage amp, so don't go sticking your fingers around the filter caps without discharging them!
^All right.
I read up on the stock speakers that I have.
They're made by eminescence (spelling) for peavey. And I like the sound of them, and apparantly they're labled "decent".
So i'm prolly going to the valve junior.
What kind of mods can I do? I heard somewhere that you can mod it to sound like a mini marshall plexi, but i'm not sure if that's false or whatever.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I had tons of fun modding my VJ, and I'm not even done yet. You can mod it for gain, tone controls, smoother inputs, different tubes (that one's hard), master volumes, all kinds of things. There are kits to Voxify or Fenderify or Marshallify them, although I've never played with the kits. If you're satisfied with the Classic, I'd not worry about the speakers too much. Also check that new Crate (under the label "Blackheart) 5 watt tube head out there.
^Yeah, i was looking at the blackheart.
But now that you mention that it's crate, i'm not sure.
Maybe I should just get an EVJ, just for the sake that I almost HAVE to mod it, whereas the blackheart, everything is done for you. Plus, the EVJ head is sexier.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^Much sexier, especially if you spin the chassis around inside the case...

Modding is tons of fun, but I don't have any problem with Crate...the Palomino V series, for instance.
no!!! i'll buy my own and mod my own!!!

but i want a peavey windsor too... VJ is too expensive to mod and play around with...

is that white pedal on ur VJ an OCD?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
HAH, I wish it were an OCD. I'm more of a Bad Monkey price bracket kinda guy. That white pedal is a ZW-44 OD I picked up on craigslist for $15. It had a loose input jack, but that's fixed. It's an alright pedal, but I'd definitally let it go. I'd much rather crank the VJ or upgrade from the Bad Monkey to one of your TS9's.
o ok. hahaha. do it man. my Ts9's still on sale...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Do you usually have a few laying around, or just one at the moment? I definitally don't have money for extraneous purchases at the moment...I'm actually trying to move some stuff out. A DT-120 Destroyer, Weeping Demon, DF7, Main Squeeze Comp, Grunge (ewwww), either the ZW-44 or the Monkey, mabye my RG7321 if I get the time to clean it up.
While you two knowledgeable folks are gasbagging in this guys thread, I'll take the opportunity to ask a question to you both.

I've got an Epi Blues Custom 30W tube amp, it's got two 12" speakers in the back. If I bought a VJ, I wouldn't have a problem using the speakers in the BC30 with the VJ, right?
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Do you usually have a few laying around, or just one at the moment? I definitally don't have money for extraneous purchases at the moment...I'm actually trying to move some stuff out. A DT-120 Destroyer, Weeping Demon, DF7, Main Squeeze Comp, Grunge (ewwww), either the ZW-44 or the Monkey, mabye my RG7321 if I get the time to clean it up.

well, i have one... and i'm not really planning to stock up on any but yea. haha. it's always there.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^^Eh heh, oops. Yea, it should be a simple mod to put a jack on the back of the BC to let you use it as a 2x12". I did that with a tone-deprived Kustom Quad 100DFX, and now it's my full-time cab.

^Alright, I'll keep that in mind when I get some flow for a new OD.
This is the back:

See where there's an input going into the amp? That comes straight from the speakers.

That could just go straight into the VJ, si?

Sorry to hijack your thread, TS.
That saves you some trouble. Just stick that lead into the 8 ohm output jack on the VJ, and you're set. But for cripes sake, DON'T TURN ON THE BC with the speaker jack in the VJ!

Curiosity, why do you want a VJ if you have the BC? Not doing it for you, tonally? Want more crunch at lower volume?
it will work. just plug the speaker plug into the same impedance jack (8 ohms in this case) for both ur BC30 and the VJ.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard