Yeah, so, judging by reviews it seems like a nice bass, but I was wondering if anyone here has anything to say about it. It will most likely be my next choice for a bass.
You might want to try out other Fender Jazz basses. The Geddy Lee is great for some of the population, or bad for some of the population. It's pretty rare you'll find someone say it's okay. I thought this was going to be my next bass, but after trying it and others I didn't really think it was best for me. The neck was too thin, it had a high lacquer finish, and the pickups were disappointing at best. But, it may be the perfect bass for you.
the Geddy Lee is a damn fine bass. i've yet to read a bad review. if you like Jazz basses, this is one of the best, in it's price range. back in early '04 when i bought my Hwy 1, through the process of elimination(playing everything) i narrowed it down to the Geddy, and the Hwy 1. my budget was under $1000, and i wanted a brand new bass. after several trips, and many hours of "test driving", at the music store. i chose the Hwy 1. the only two things that made the difference for me was, the Hwy 1 was MIA, and the Geddy was only available in black. i also didn't like the painted on fret markers of the Geddy. but that don't mean squat, in the real world of playing,
it only effects the re-sale value. and the re-sale on Geddy's is very good. imo, the Geddy gets two thumbs up!
The Geddy's price has gone up and up over the years. Now I think the price of the Geddy is similar enough to the price of the MIA, which easily trumps it. And yes, those pickups are clear, but quite low-output (as many passive clear pickups are).
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I heard the neck is extremely thin.
So your fingers can fly on that, like geddy lee!
Quote by thefitz
The Geddy's price has gone up and up over the years. Now I think the price of the Geddy is similar enough to the price of the MIA, which easily trumps it. And yes, those pickups are clear, but quite low-output (as many passive clear pickups are).

the price doesn't go up and up, on shabby basses. sales dictate the price, and good sales usually means a decent product at a reasonable price. i love passive p-ups. and a low output bass(passive), is no problem, if you have a decent amp.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
the price doesn't go up and up, on shabby basses. sales dictate the price, and good sales usually means a decent product at a reasonable price. i love passive p-ups. and a low output bass(passive), is no problem, if you have a decent amp.

Oh yeah, and Japanese construction is on the up-and-up as well. I was mentioning the price in the context of approaching the MIA Fender level, which IMO is a much better bass with it's S1 switching and graphite reinforced neck and satin neck finish.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Hey, on a side note. What do you two smart guys above me think of the S-1 on the MIA Jazz? I havent heard the best about it, so I went with a pre-S1 MIA and I love it! Threadstarter, Ive heard nothing but good about the Geddy. Taco has left the building.
I think because of the pickup location and the incidence of separate single coil pickups, the S1 would make a huge difference on a Jazz bass, and I'm not sure why many other basses don't have it - it's a simple parallel/series switch. How the S1 works on a Precision bass is beyond me. Does it parallel/series each half of the coil? If so, you'll get most flexibility out of a Jazz. That said, The S1-enabled Jazz will sound as much like a Precision as an S1-enabled Precision will sound like a Jazz.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Sly Taco
Does that Deluxe your poundin on have the S-1?????

No! My Deluxe STRAT has the S1, but not my Deluxe Jazz!

On the Deluxe Strat, I call the S1 the THICK BUTTON. It just makes your tone sound immense and wonderful. Pickup switch in the middle, s1 on, you have all 3 pickups on. Huge. Huge. However, on a Jazz, it'd not quite have all the options. It's basically Jazz/Precision impression.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Ive found the s1 on my jazz to be pretty useful as it does let u obtain a a pretty similar tone to the p bass, but still with a bit of jazz in it. If u wanted 'the p bass sound' u have to go and buy a p bass ironically.

oh and another thing, why on earth dosent the delux come with the s1, has it got something to do with the active electronics
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Even though it doesn't make any sense, it HAS to do with active electronics. All the passive American Fenders have it - not one active one.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
oh and another thing, why on earth dosent the delux come with the s1, has it got something to do with the active electronics

Thats exactly what I was going to ask the Fitz next. Im glad I went with the pre-S1 jazz. If I want a P-bass sound, i'll pick up the ol' P.
Quote by Sly Taco
Hey, on a side note. What do you two smart guys above me think of the S-1 on the MIA Jazz? I havent heard the best about it, so I went with a pre-S1 MIA and I love it! Threadstarter, Ive heard nothing but good about the Geddy. Taco has left the building.

my vote is still undecided on the S-1. my 1979 Peavy T-40 had a " in/out of phase", switch, that i feel is the same thing. in phase, it was booming(i think thats normal Jazz bass), out of phase boosted the "mid to high" feel. i have not played an S-1 equipt bass, so my opinion is really, null and void.

Edit: Oh yea, i think the Geddy bass rates, a "most bang for the buck" award!
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Nov 8, 2007,
if u were buying the bass just because of the s1 switch then there has to be something wrong with you, i bought my jazz purely for the beautiful tone we all love and know, the s1 is just an extra little thing to play around with
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
^Yeah, but phase thingies and parallel/series switching would give totally different sounds - you should give it a shot! And those graphite necks are fantastic, too.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
i give the Geddy Lee my own personal 10/10, i hope to be buying my own very soon
!
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
no, there is worng with the geddy jazz bass
its amazing
so playable for any bassist
i tried one when i went and made another payment on my TA-600
Getting an Esp TA-600, Tom Araya signature
Quote by tool_60
no, there is worng with the geddy jazz bass
its amazing
so playable for any bassist
i tried one when i went and made another payment on my TA-600

You can't say so playable for any bassist because that's just not true. I don't like hunks of wood but I like to have a little substance where I'm fretting. I don't get that with a Geddy Lee.
I like the feel, but I'm an outcast with an aversion to single coil pickups. they sound weird.
It seems reliable though, if you like it, get it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I dont really like it much at all. The neck is annoyingly thin, and its freaking expensive. There is nothing that you can acomplish on the Geddy Lee Bass that you cant on just a MIJ Fender Jazz standard. Its cool and all but its not worth it in my opinion.