Is there any sort of program I can buy or neat little button I can press to completely erase EVERYTHING on my computer? It's really slow and laggy, and I want to eradicate all of the old programs, files, documents, pr0n (l0l jk l0l) and stuff like that, to make it better for recording. Help me, Pit.
Assuming you have windows. As it is starting up, hit F10 I beleive it is. This will take you to system recovery, which will let you erase the operating system. (everything on your computer). MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RECOVERY DISCS BEFOREHAND
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
um, did u defrag it alrready?
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
well you'll need a hammer...
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
Quote by i(ncubus)play
Assuming you have windows. As it is starting up, hit F10 I beleive it is. This will take you to system recovery, which will let you erase the operating system. (everything on your computer). MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RECOVERY DISCS BEFOREHAND

Well, I don't have ANYTHING (except for Audacity) on there that I want to keep. So I don't think I need recovery discs. Will I be able to connect it to the internet afterwards?
sounds like the drive is old and worn out
mabe even erasing everything might not help you here
i have the same problem
On this last beat,

my heart will freeze.

we'll end in harmony.

Quote by Thornography
I usually get lost after 3 words... maybe it happens to others.
Quote by Fatso Forgottso
Well, I don't have ANYTHING (except for Audacity) on there that I want to keep. So I don't think I need recovery discs. Will I be able to connect it to the internet afterwards?

You probably should keep your operating system.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
yeah um.....to run audacity......you need an OS, its called windows.....
alt f4 should solve everything
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
c:/format...............put that in My Computer and your computer is now a clock.
Gear
ESP Vintage Plus
LTD M-II
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Flextone IIIXL
Quote by Fatso Forgottso

Don't think you understand...it basically deletes Windows off your computer. You'll need the discs for the new Operating System to do anything on your computer basically.
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
Download CCleaner. It's free, and gets rid of a lot of the background crap (such as archives, internet cache, etc.) that slows your PC down. It won't delete your files and stuff though, you'll have to uninstall/delete that stuff manually.
Quote by hug a llama
You put parentheses in parentheses. I...I...I think I love you.

Quote by Vos
THANK YOU! You're my hero!
If you have the XP installation disk(i'm going to assume this is the os you have), you can boot up your computer with it - make sure your bios settings are set with the first priority being boot from cd, press del, F2, F8, or F10 to enter bios settings; depends on manufacturer but sometimes it says on the screen if quiet boot is enabled. Boot up with the disk and choose to install a new copy of windows xp. If you have multiple partitions and want to delete everything off of all of them, I suggest downloading the gparted livecd and edit your partition tables to make on big one and delete everything off of it.

Also, not sure if XP has this, you might want to try first, but in Vista you can right click on Computer (My Computer in XP), go to Manage and then Disk Management and then edit the partitions there. Note: don't delete the EISA partition, although you probably can't anyway.

Make sure that you have all of your data backed up. Also, make sure you know what drivers you have for things such as your ethernet, sound and video card - but I think this only applies to laptops, it's good to know anyways. If your computer is slow, it could be because your clock speed is ****, if you're using new programs on an old rig.

If your computer isn't too old it may have a 6-10GB partition which the manufacturer put there for system restore because they're too ****ing cheap to supply the os disks, in which case you can try one of the Fx keys to activate it.
Throw it out the window.
FS/T: Ibanez RG570, IBZ/DiMarzio V8 Pup

Member #6 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Quote by Fatso Forgottso

Not even files that make your computer actually function?

Have fun with your useless box of electronics!