So I'm looking at buying the Marshall MG30DFX amp. It really suits most of what I want. A friend of mine told me to save up and buy the MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack Package. Is it really worth it? Can I really get more effects out of it? Its more for just me playing and I don't do gigs.

Also, I've got a Fender Standard Stratocaster with just the stock pickups. What pickups do you recommend for a wide variety of music, mostly classic rock though, but a lot of other rock from different eras?
The Pit response is

"stay away from the MG's, they suck, save for a nice tube amp combo it'll be worth it"

I wouldn't invest that much money unless I've tried everything, so go try everything first.

Also, 100W, you may think is great, but it's really not necessary.... and you can't practice on it, the volume would have to be like 1.
nice call. this is about the most over asked question on ug. noob.
Gear:

2007 Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (MIA)

Mesa Boogie Express 5:25

Yamaha Acoustic

Member of the Eric Johnson Worshippers Club.
u can't search for "MG". it's not enough letters.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
The MG30DFX is a no-go. Many people on this forum will tell you the same.

-You can get more for the money.

Look into a Valvetronix or a Palomino V8. Effects aren't super important on an amp, and you're friend is a sinner and should be damned to hell for suggesting that you waste good money on a pile of rat ****.
Equipment

Epiphone Les Paul Plain-top
Line 6 Spider II 75w
Bad Monkey OD Pedal
Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon
For Classic rock go for the Peavey Classic 30 or Delta Blues.

It may only be 30 watts but damn! That thing has a nice sound.

Uhm... for pickups, it's all personal taste. How much output you want, how much treble, etc.

Just look at Ynwie, the pickups he uses are designed to be a slightly warmer version of 50's strat pickups and he uses them for metal!!!!
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
Yngwie's not really metal, his tones a warm classic tone he gets from his 1959 handwired marshall and an OD pedal more than his pickups
the stock pickups should suit classic rock pretty well... but if you really want to replace them the best single coil pickups (nonboutique) are lace sensors

and as for the amp go for a valvetronix... or get a blues jr and an overdrive if you can
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by latinosuperstud

and as for the amp go for a valvetronix...

Have you got a valvetronix?

Whats the deal with them, they're suppose to "emulate" a tube amp, without any tubes, does it sound just as full ?
^they have a tube. one 12AX7 in the power section.

it does emulate a tube amp. better than the MG without any tubes not even trying to emulate tube sound.

it won't wound near full as a real tube amp, but valvetronix is way better than the MG.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
u can't search for "MG". it's not enough letters.

OOOh snap!!

On topic, I would also recommend staying away from the MG. I'll also recommend looking into a small tube combo. It'll sound great with that Strat even if it's stock. I play my stock Tele through a Blues Jr. and I love it. As for pickups, I've always been a fan of lace sensors on Strats. My guitar teacher has a 70s strat with Lace Sensors on it and it sounds amazing.
My Gear:

Agile AL-2000 (Tiger-Eye)
Ibanez Acoustic/Electric

Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez TS-7 Tubescreamer [Keeley Modded]
^ well no my amp is an epiphone hybrid (has surprisingly good cleans, but need a pedal for distortion)

the vox valvetronix is a also a hybrid but in my opinion its slighty more versatile, if your just going to be using it for private practice then it should be great for cleans- to mid gain because it can do pretty good immitation of the vox ac's... for metal maybe look into a different amp for anything heavier than the 80's... but it should handle classic rock exellently
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
There is no difference between the MG30 andthe MG100 halfstack, except that the 100 is louder (because it has more watts, not because it's a halfstack).

I would definitely recommend a Valvetronix, it's far better than the MG, and you don't need a big amp if you're just playing by yourself or jamming with friends.