Someone called me the other day and saud....."hey, I'm at the store and they have bass strings for $3.00, want some??" Obviously, I was skeptical, my last set was between $30 and $40....so I asked where they were at...and she said wal-mart...So logically I thought.."they're probably the walmart brand(First-Act or whatever)," but before I said that, the person told me they were GHS..

At this point I got confused ...I have GHS Brite flats on one of my basses...and I was intending to go to the local store to get som GHS Boomers for another bass.

I know for sure they weren't three bucks last time I got...So I was skeptical and said iI'll go by later and look for myself

Anyway, was that a steal of a deal that I passed up, or does GHS make some really cheap strings too?
I could be mistaken, but I beleive that I saw a cheap set of GHS guitar strings while checking out at a Wal-Mart. So I don't think It would out of the question for them to makes some cheap bass strings.

Besides Ernie Ball's are where its at.
Wal Mart sells bass strings to go along with their FirstAct basses.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
GHS make absolutely horrible strings. I don't know why they were so cheap, because even though they are dreadful, the lowest I've ever seen them for is $15. Maybe they were guitar strings.

ghs strings are often of worse quality than stock strings on beginner basses

so 3 bucks would probably be the most i would pay for them, besides this situation is highly likely, as walmart could have put the wrong price on them (at that point false advertising so you could argue and get them for that price anyway) they could have been on some ridiculous sale, or they could have been phasing them out of their stock, as i've noticed they've started selling less guitar stuff
Obviously everyone is a little down on GHS strings....So let me ask a question, who makes good strings that are affordable (I don't want to spend $70.00 on a set)

Typically I play a lot of funk in my band, with a little slap here and there, and then I like to play Rock on my own time...I play a Fender Jazz, and the strings are nearly a year old. Last set I put on were some Vinci (i think??) roundwounds, which were soso, but what are your preferences and why?
Lately I've put on some Ernie Ball Slinkies and so far I'm loving them. The other strings that people will recommend are Rotosound for their very bright tone, and DR for their amazing slap tone, and tone in general.
I always wanted to put ernie balls on my basses, but I thought I heard someone say that they die quickly....any ideas on that?
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
GHS make absolutely horrible strings. I don't know why they were so cheap, because even though they are dreadful, the lowest I've ever seen them for is $15. Maybe they were guitar strings.

Doesn't Flea use GHS?

I have GHS flatwounds and they're my favourite flatwound.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
For flatwounds, I love Rotosounds. For everything else--I've tried GHS, DRs etc and I just seem to keep coming back to the EB Super Slinkies.
Quote by thefitz
Doesn't Flea use GHS?

I have GHS flatwounds and they're my favourite flatwound.

Flea uses GHS, he even has his own special string.

I personally love GHS Boomers (nickel wound) They are the only strings I've found that get me a good upright sound on fretted bass. I can't stand Rotosound, DR, or EB (especially EB, I hate those strings with a passion.)

Just a note, I don't like GHS because Flea uses them.
I use LaBella deep talking flatwounds on my bass.

The Flea label on "Bass Boomers" doesn't make them different strings. Flea bass boomers = bass boomers with an extra $3 added on.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
I had a set of the Flea boomers on recently and I thought they sounded good, but nothing spectacular. I prefer rotosounds.
normally i only go for rotos because rotos sound absolutely immense but at music live i picked up a pack of bass strings for £3 by a brand called "Rosetti", now i know sweet FA about this brand but i was pleasantly surprised by them, they are quite nice, not great but for £3 they were an excellent purchase
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
D'Addarios anyone?
Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Wow... what's with all the GHS hate down here!?

I personally am a big fan of GHS Boomers and use them on most of my basses. This is after trying loads of different strings, including Elixirs, Rotosounds, DRs, D'addarios, etc. For me, they make the best nickel plated strings I've tried. I like my strings soft and warm, and these fit the bill perfectly. Just never realised they were held with such contempt by some.

Oh... you sure it wasn't $3 per string, not for a set?
^ that sounds a bit more logical. I still like GHS, they provide a great slap tone, they just die out ridiculously fast.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
They have a great tone. Probably one of my favourite tones of any string ever made. But, I can't afford to buy a set once a week to keep that tone constant. As with DR or Ernie Ball, it's only about once every 5 or 6 months because they last. Lasting power is one of the most important things about a string for me.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
They have a great tone. Probably one of my favourite tones of any string ever made. But, I can't afford to buy a set once a week to keep that tone constant. As with DR or Ernie Ball, it's only about once every 5 or 6 months because they last. Lasting power is one of the most important things about a string for me.

I think you'd be quite pleased with Rotosounds then
GHS cost around $3 for guitar strings, not bass strings on musiciansfriend.
Last edited by eaton1012 at Nov 9, 2007,