I know this isn't ultimate-drums but ill ask anyways. Im kinda intrested in learning drums, and im curious how much i would have to spend or what brands to look into. I want something good but not overly expensive and i would be intrested in ehtier doub;e bass or a doub;e bass pedal

any advice or tips?
Quote by xsynysterx06
adio_stack...i love you.
im not homo..

Quote by RideTheAnger13
lmao, omg, Adio, you have the best avatar known to man!
Mapex VX-5255 is a good starter set. Most of the VX series are good, in fact.
I'm a communist. Really.
for a new drummer i would suggest the Pearl Forum series. they are about 500 bucks pretty good quality. and mabey a DW 900 double bass pedal
your avatar scares meh
Statistics can be used to prove anything.

14% of people know that.
Yeah, Tama can be pretty inexpensive for beginners, with some nice stuff, and if you want a decent double bass pedal, you could get something from tama for $100 or $150, but if you wanted something more quality go about $300 for Iron Cobras. The thing that you need to be quality however, is your cymbals, cheap cymbals sound like crap and ring in your ears. Don't buy some no name brand, make sure you get some known cymbal brand like Zildjian or Sabian or something.
I would hold off on the double pedal for a while. I've seen a lot of drummers start learning double bass before single and pick up some really bad habits. Get comfortable playing, and when you have good control over both feet, try using a double.
If you want a decent set, look to spend around $800-1200. Big difference, but it all depends on what cymbals you buy, what kind of hardware, etc. Those entry level kits are affordable, yeah, but you get what you pay for. The hardware on those kits are absolute **** and you'll usually just get wrap instead of an actual laquer or finish on the wood. If you do get an entry level, and you get into playing, go for some DW hardware. It's the best you can buy. Using a pedal instead of buying a double bass kit is definitely cheaper, and you can get a decent double pedal for about $300-350. The best drums to buy, besides DW or OC, is Sonor, Mapex, or Tama. Pearl's a nice brand, everybody uses their equipment, but most of the affordable drums are made of poplar. This makes them lighter and easier to move, but the sound isn't quite as good as maple or birch. Also, if you want to play rock or metal, go for maple or acrylic. For jazz, blues, or another light style, go for birch (Gretsch drums are the best for this). If you've got a decent budget, look for a Sonor Force 3005 series (I think they're on 3005 now...it may be 3007), a Tama Starclassic kit, or a Mapex M-Series. All of these come with decent hardware. For cymbals, look around for Paiste, Zildjian, and Sabian. Zildjian offers the ZBT's pretty cheap, but they won't last long. Pay the extra for ZXT's and you'll have made a good investment. If you're on a low budget for cymbals, take a look at Wuhan. They're decent cymbals (they're what I use with my practice kit) and they have a nice warranty. They've got a good bit of overtone, so they may not be for you. Try going to Guitar Center and trying out some of the equipment they've got. Everything really just depends on how much you're willing to spend.
R.I.P. Turner Blaine
Last edited by brokenanthem at Nov 7, 2007,
I'd get a lot of used stuff to start out with. Don't necessarily get everything together. I think it would be better starting out to invest more money in hardware and cymbals. I'd get some used Export shells or something like that, maybe with hardware. Get some nice solid stands if you can. I'd invest in some affordable, but pro cymbals like used Zildjian A's or Sabian AA's. Stay away from the Zidjain ZBT/ZXT/ZHT's and Sabian B8's, as affordable as they are.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by Wayward_Son
I'd get a lot of used stuff to start out with. Don't necessarily get everything together. I think it would be better starting out to invest more money in hardware and cymbals. I'd get some used Export shells or something like that, maybe with hardware. Get some nice solid stands if you can. I'd invest in some affordable, but pro cymbals like used Zildjian A's or Sabian AA's. Stay away from the Zidjain ZBT/ZXT/ZHT's and Sabian B8's, as affordable as they are.

ZBTs do suck. Haven't had much experience with the ZHTs besides a ride...it was decent. ZXTs are pretty nice for a beginner. The Sabian B8s are like the ZBTs...they're just not very durable. B8 Pros are pretty decent. Zildjian A's.....never liked them much. Sabian AA's are cool, I used them in jazz band in high school. The AAX's are a bit better. AA Meinl makes great cymbals...for a price. Their cheaper sets are made with brass a lot of the times. Stay away from those. The Paiste Signature series are best in my opinion. They're fairly pricey though. Their Rude series is also a great choice for loud rock. And I agree with you on finding some used shells though. A lot of times you'll find a great deal on them. I've got some DW toms that I spent $200 on and if you ordered them from the shop they'd be about $1000.
R.I.P. Turner Blaine
Used drums are where it's at.

My first kit was a Used Pearl export, and it was nice.

Now I have a Yamaha Tour Costume Set, DW Hardware and Sabian b8 cymbols..

it rocks.
can somebody link me to some sites that give lessons or that explan the different effects of different materials and stuff
Quote by xsynysterx06
adio_stack...i love you.
im not homo..

Quote by RideTheAnger13
lmao, omg, Adio, you have the best avatar known to man!
Don't start out on a double bass pedal. Learn to play with just the one then add double kick into your repertoire later. I've seen a hell of a lot of metal drummers who can't do anything without a double kick pedal and it's really quite cringeworthy.

EDIT: Also try out different setups. Start out with the kit set up in the standard way, then try stuff like putting your crash on the other side of the kit or taking your mid tom off.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Don't start out on a double bass pedal. Learn to play with just the one then add double kick into your repertoire later. I've seen a hell of a lot of metal drummers who can't do anything without a double kick pedal and it's really quite cringeworthy.

EDIT: Also try out different setups. Start out with the kit set up in the standard way, then try stuff like putting your crash on the other side of the kit or taking your mid tom off.

or do what i do.

Learn double kick on single kick.
Used is a good way to go, but you can also buy a really cheap kit and throw on some Evans heads and you're good to go. My first set was $300 and I put new heads on it and got better hardware and cymbals and everyone who heard it was surprised that such good sound was coming from such a crappy kit. So keep that in mind if you're on a really tight budget.
Don't get a First Act set. My drummer had to learn this the hard way. We ended up burning the damn thing in his backyard. Piece of crap.

Yes, Tama, Pearl, Ddrums. They're pretty good.
The Pit. The Movie.