Poll: do you have depression?
Poll Options
View poll results: do you have depression?
yes
76 26%
no
111 39%
somewhat
101 35%
Voters: 288.
Page 1 of 3
I always see people posting on this site that just seem depressed out of their minds. why do think this is? Is it because musicians are more emotional than the average person?
Balls.
I do go through depressing periods all day long, but I try my best not to show it.

I think, though that it's mainly because things that depress me are happening. I don't think I have a mental illness or anything along those lines.
yrp, been hospitalized for it once, now I'm on medication and doing slightly better.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by The Madcap
I do go through depressing periods all day long, but I try my best not to show it.

More or less.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
im depressed because ppl think stupid **** about me in school and i cant change it. also i want a gf or companion or w/e some girl to talk to,but the only i have i'm not really physically attracted to.
Because most people here are teenagers and that's how teenagers feel.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
im depressed because ppl think stupid **** about me in school and i cant change it. also i want a gf or companion or w/e some girl to talk to,but the only i have i'm not really physically attracted to.

That's not depression...
Nah, I'm past that. Now I'm capable of doing days in a stretch without any social relations whatsoever if I want to, and I'm damn proud of it. It's way better than forcing yourself into trying to relate to people, and the less you care about relating, the easier it is.

Also, I've stopped worrying about what kind of job I'd like to get, because the way I see it I have a ton of possibilities that I have to consider - and wages aren't important.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by FireandFlames
That's not depression...

there's other **** i just don't feel like writing it all out.
I'm not depressed. I have been in the past due to situation but I haven't for a while. I have no girlfriend (haven't had one in a while) and am currently doing nothing all day (waiting for a recording studio internship to open up) and yet I am not depressed.
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
there's other **** i just don't feel like writing it all out.

No, you're just angsty.
ehh kinda, (see sig). I honestly think i might have some form of depression. Im always giving up on things and people, looking on the dark side and constantly feeling bad about myself (i can try not to but those feelings of sadness just come back). Idk i guess thats just how an average teenager feels when surrounded by the douchebaggery known as "highschool".
"There are two wolves fighting inside all of us - the wolf of fear and hate, and the wolf of love and peace." The grandson listened, then looked up at his grandfather and asked, "Which one will win?", The grandfather replied, "the one we feed".
Its weird...but for me it was middle school that was bad... lots of cliques and such... but once i got to highschool everyone seemed to mellow out... personally i love high school
Balls.
Quote by rmr024
Its weird...but for me it was middle school that was bad... lots of cliques and such... but once i got to highschool everyone seemed to mellow out... personally i love high school

High school is a hell hole compared to college/post secondary education. You'll realize it when you get there.
Quote by MetalMusicianAl

AAAAAh THAT is fucking scary. I went though the EXACT same situation(still am, cept i got me a gf finally). Theres so much more to me than people see, and I generally try to be funny in school and somehow get stereotyped into the dumbass class clown persona.
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
Actually I have been feeling kind of ****ty lately, thanks for asking.

I try to take keep that **** away from the forums however, cause I know that nobody really cares about anybody else's whining on here, which is a good thing.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Nightrain57
ehh kinda, (see sig). I honestly think i might have some form of depression. Im always giving up on things and people, looking on the dark side and constantly feeling bad about myself (i can try not to but those feelings of sadness just come back). Idk i guess thats just how an average teenager feels when surrounded by the douchebaggery known as "highschool".

Yah I feel that a lot, I'm a pessimistic over-analyzer. You're a really cool person from what I've seen on UG though
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
Nope. Life's good. School's good. I've got lots of friends.
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
Quote by Uncle Fonzie
High school is a hell hole compared to college/post secondary education. You'll realize it when you get there.
youre joking. all my older siblings say the complete opposite about college
Balls.
Quote by tremeloud
Yah I feel that a lot, I'm a pessimistic over-analyzer. You're a really cool person from what I've seen on UG though

thanks man, good to know that there are some people who understand why i feel that way...
"There are two wolves fighting inside all of us - the wolf of fear and hate, and the wolf of love and peace." The grandson listened, then looked up at his grandfather and asked, "Which one will win?", The grandfather replied, "the one we feed".
Quote by hug a llama
I don't need happy pills to make me enjoy life.

I don't need happy pills either. The other kind are so much better.
R.I.P. Turner Blaine
Just wait until you get into the real world. That will get you depressed. Every day is the same, over and over until you croak. Enjoy your high school days while they last beeeiitches!!!!!!!
Quote by rmr024
youre joking. all my older siblings say the complete opposite about college

Well I suppose it depends on the person. I personally found my post secondary education to put high school to complete shame. I guess that's because I was studying something that heavily interested me (audio engineering and music production) and the other people at my school were all great. I say if you get into something you really enjoy and truly want to make a career out of, you'll have a blast at college.
Quote by Uncle Fonzie
Well I suppose it depends on the person. I personally found my post secondary education to put high school to complete shame. I guess that's because I was studying something that heavily interested me (audio engineering and music production) and the other people at my school were all great. I say if you get into something you really enjoy and truly want to make a career out of, you'll have a blast at college.
now that i think about it...i come from a pretty smart family and they did all go to higher end colleges... so the people there generally are people who want to be there and do well
Balls.
Quote by rmr024

Ahh, for me it's the exact opposite. I loved middle school, no cliques, everyone was just way cooler and no one was afraid to express themselves. Now, in high school, everyone I went to mid school with is afraid of what everyone else would think about them, and everyone at my high school is hostile and quick to find ways to insult people. I get made fun of for being in band, when before at middle school everyone thought it was cool. Now it seems that everyone is trying to turn the high school experience into your sterotypical MTV high school. I can't wait for college though. I'll go to the toughest college that accepts me. Much more maturity and less stupid people.
Quote by Dimebag22
Nope. Life's good. School's good. I've got lots of friends.

Shut up man, no one likes you. They all just pretend but secretly they laugh at you cause you're a retard. After all, you wanted to give your teacher a rim job Just kidding man, you know I love you.

As for me, yes I am feeling down on myself lately. If you care to find my recent thread about my gf dumping me you'll see why.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "if I live I will kill you."
"If I die, you are forgiven."
Such is the rule of honour.
Quote by The Madcap

I think, though that it's mainly because things that depress me are happening. I don't think I have a mental illness or anything along those lines.

Pretty much.

But it doesn't help when I realize that I don't have 1 best friend.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I'm just starting into the "real world" (college, sophomore year) have only done one year's worth of credit, have $1700 i owe already, haven't had a long relationship in a year, my friends are moving in different directions, my grades suck, my guitar playing has taken a back seat to paying bills almost, i know no one at my college virtually, i just dated the hottest girl i've ever known and she left me after 2 weeks to go make out with chicks...

but no dude, I'm happy. kinda.

PS. don't take this as me bitching about the "rough life i've got" either, i just felt like sharing with you people i guess. my life is my fault/responsibility etc, and i realize that. whatever. that's why we come to ultimate-guitar.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
Lets see.... I don't have a GF (my standards are abyssal, but still to high for around here... wtf?), no band.... lots of toys.....

If I didn't have a job, then I might be depressed.
If you were as badass as me, would you ever be depressed? I'm amazing.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
I believe its on and off. Sometimes people will feel great, other times not so much. and for certain people these highs and lows are greatly exaggerated. life sucks. the end.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
No, I'm feeling great. I'm doing well at college, I like my lessons, I like my teachers. It's all going swimmingly.

I've not much to be depressed about.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by buckzilla
not depressed, just realistic.

You sound so deep.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Page 1 of 3