I thought I'd start up an acid jazz thread out here - primarily for two reasons, I kinda took the back route into core jazz by starting from acid jazz and jazz fusion. we already have a bunch of jazz fusion threads going on here so I thought I'd deal with the more heady stuff -

feel free to put up recommendations for great acid jazz albums, or talk about the genre itself - I tend to look at acid jazz as a more trippier downtempo based interpretation of jazz, freely intermingling with psychedelia and jazz fusion.

current personal favorites of mine would include the defunct montreal based Kobayashi, the Japanese DJ Nujabes, the UK based Herbaliser, the Mushroom Jazz series by DJ Mark Farina.

I'd also to some extent include select cuts by Bill Frisell, John Scofield, Grant Green, Melvin Sparks, Charlie Hunter, and of course Medeski, Martin & Wood.

board's open for discussion...
peace.
Jamiroquai?
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
^ erm ...

EDIT: Oh wow, mighty Meh! There's a blast from forum past.

Acid jazz seems to get confused quite frequently with simple funk, pop, and sometimes even funky trip-hop acts like Stereo MCs and the like. It's a fairly ambiguous genre because so many purists snub it, more so even than simpler fusion.

Miles Davis' last couple of albums were considered acid jazz, which is where the prejudice was probably exacerbated - the improv was comparitively simplistic and uninspired and the beats were quite simple and repetitive, though if you can get beyond the decline from his earlier stuff records like Doo Bop make a pretty good listen.

One album I'd definitely recommend is Uberjam by John Scofield, a name the TS dropped ... crisp lead with engaging, edgy improvisation and a backing band as tight as hell, including Avi Bortnick on rhythm guitar (something quite rare for jazz) which adds definite depth to the rhythm section. There are also a couple of tracks which feature sessions from John Medeski, who I think is a latter-day, funkier Joe Zawinul. The album has a really eclectic mix, from the third track 'Jungle Fiction' and title song verging on jazz drum n'bass, through straightforward rock and funk fusion and even a hip-hop cut. Good schtuff.

~Ben
"Is it an ambulance? Is he Philip Larkin? So much power in so few words."
~The Observer

"A transcendant terrestris, a timeless behemoth, trapped like Sisyphus in the cyclical burden of his own genius."
~The Sun

"His a cant."
~The Independent
Last edited by mud at Nov 9, 2007,
Quote by mud
One album I'd definitely recommend is Uberjam by John Scofield, a name the TS dropped ... crisp lead with engaging, edgy improvisation and a backing band as tight as hell, including Avi Bortnick on rhythm guitar (something quite rare for jazz) which adds definite depth to the rhythm section. There are also a couple of tracks which feature sessions from John Medeski, who I think is a latter-day, funkier Joe Zawinul. The album has a really eclectic mix, from the opener Acidhead and title track verging on jazz drum n'bass, through straightforward rock fusion and even a hip-hop cut. Good schtuff.

~Ben

yo that's like one of my favorite Sco albums - "Acidhead" barring Medeski's quirky keyboards and Sco's sick guitar playing, has like the phattest drum n bass going on.
Quote by meh!
Jamiroquai?

I'm not sure I'd consider them acid jazz, though they certainly walk the line between acid jazz and trip hop - which is a very fine line anyway. For instance a song like "Just Another Story" off their Return of the Space Cowboy album album, does have a definite acid jazz feel at the start, but then it blends more into hip-hop, and straight up funk/rock at the end.

but yeah they're without a doubt a cool act one way or the other. However, I think it is important to draw the line between acid jazz and trip-hop acts. Groups like Thievery Corp. or Massive Attack are definitely trip-hop... but then again, they often sample jazz tunes on their cuts... but I feel acid jazz acts have a lot of real instrumentation going on, and definitely when they play live.
^True dat. On 'Blue Lines', Massive Attack's first album, pretty much every track sampled some seventies fusion record or another. There's the drum and bass loop from Billy Cobham's 'Stratus' on there, as well as quite a bit of Weather Report - even Portishead sample the intro to 'Elegant People' on one of their songs. It's amazing how many modern acts are influenced by what's essentially a pretty obscure genre.

Quote by Axegrinder#9
yo that's like one of my favorite Sco albums - "Acidhead" barring Medeski's quirky keyboards and Sco's sick guitar playing, has like the phattest drum n bass going on.

Scofield himself said that, out of all his post-Miles albums, Miles would have liked 'Uberjam' the most 'cause he was always trying to push the envelope with what you can do with jazz. Wicked stuff.
"Is it an ambulance? Is he Philip Larkin? So much power in so few words."
~The Observer

"A transcendant terrestris, a timeless behemoth, trapped like Sisyphus in the cyclical burden of his own genius."
~The Sun

"His a cant."
~The Independent
Last edited by mud at Nov 9, 2007,
I have no idea what trip-hop is, sorry

I would have thought their early albums (or album, really :p ) Return of the spacecowboy would have verged into acid jazz.But reading this conversation and learning more about what "acid" really means then I'd say It has jazz in there, obviously funk - I suppose jazzy funk is really enough to describe them.

And lol, yes, an even older blast from the past mud :p
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
"the UK based Herbaliser" kick arse, as do Massive Attack.

Aren't they both too hiphop (of some type)/eletronica to be here though? Oh well who cares, as they are brilliant.
Quote by Jackolas
"the UK based Herbaliser" kick arse, as do Massive Attack.

Aren't they both too hiphop (of some type)/eletronica to be here though? Oh well who cares, as they are brilliant.

well the Herbaliser definitely have a much more distinct jazz influence than Massive Attack - and while the latter is definitely hip-hop based, I like to think of Herbaliser as employing more of blunt-beats than break beats...

and this is a dedicated acid jazz thread, so it's OK to have hip-hop/electronica crossovers fall in this category.

peace.
Down to the bone (although more funk oriented and pretty similar to Jamiroquai) and Medeski Martin and Wood, awesome trio
Acid jazz gets confused alot with other genres so it's hard to pinpoint. Acid Jazz isn't actually jazz most of the time it's closer to, say, Jungle (a type of Trance music) music just with a more relaxed rhythm.
Quote by Kwesi
Acid jazz gets confused alot with other genres so it's hard to pinpoint. Acid Jazz isn't actually jazz most of the time it's closer to, say, Jungle (a type of Trance music) music just with a more relaxed rhythm.

uhmm no. and acid jazz is NOT the same as jazz - that's why it is called acid jazz. and if you listen to any of the artists mentioned before, you'll see oodles of jazz influences coming through.

and I listen to a lot of psytrance and electro-house, acid jazz is nothing like it.
Quote by Axegrinder#9
sweet - keep this thread alive.

dank headies for all who do

I'll take that offer. But really, MMW and scofield know what's up.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
DJ Krush, i heard some of his stuff....digable planets is a good group too, though they may not be considered acid jazz

and ill take some of that dank heads
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Last edited by Gris-Gris-Man at Feb 18, 2009,
Im not really familar with Acid Jazz. Ive heard like some DJ Krush but i really dont know anything about the genre. Would Amon Tobin be included in this, artists like that?

......and im in on that dank
"See the Glory Of the Royal Scam"
Quote by Axegrinder#9
but what about the ****ing golf shoes?

heheh nice love that moive.

but Scofield and Medeski Martin and Wood are just pure awsomeness. Chris Wood is pretty much my hero. pretty much taught my how to groove.
Quote by Dchild042
Im not really familar with Acid Jazz. Ive heard like some DJ Krush but i really dont know anything about the genre. Would Amon Tobin be included in this, artists like that?

......and im in on that dank

Kind of, DJ Krush, Amon Tobin, Portishead, Thievery Corporation and DJ Shadow are usually called Trip-hop, but I think Trip-hop and Acid Jazz are pretty similar and also very broad genres. The artists I listed really sound nothing alike.
Quote by allislost
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Quote by aetherspear
Kind of, DJ Krush, Amon Tobin, Portishead, Thievery Corporation and DJ Shadow are usually called Trip-hop, but I think Trip-hop and Acid Jazz are pretty similar and also very broad genres. The artists I listed really sound nothing alike.

Ok well i like stuff like Amon Tobin, Portishead, STS9, Thievery Corporation, Zero 7, etc. I just never knew it was categorized as acid jazz or trip hop.
"See the Glory Of the Royal Scam"
Hmm, might as well talk about them here. Have you heard Foley Room by Amon tobin? ****ing wicked stuff, its all sampled from field recordings he did. Also the new Thievery Corp album Radio Retaliation is pretty sweet, and Third is probably one of the most original records I've ever heard.
Quote by allislost
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
i just need to say i have been playing and writing my own brand of 'acid-jazz" for quite some time now, thinking it was something that i have came up with on my own, lol. it turns out it already exists, dang. haha.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
hmm yea this thread does seem to be fairly confused. Dj Krush was a good mention, but id have to say Jazzanova, Herbie's Future 2 Future, Sonic the hedgehog and atjazz (although more laid back) all to be acid jazz lol
myspace.com/soundsofmeta
The Heliocentrics just released a new album with Mulatu Astatke, a vibes player and innovator in African Jazz. here's some good quality live videos of them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlGmjXxnGgM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B54bWq-QqOw&feature=related
and a cool Interview/making of the album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GixmYy6Ytnw
Quote by allislost
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group